Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What summer camps would you like to be available to your children?

• 05-06-2017 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Parents! I am a primary school teacher, and want to set up a low cost summer camp in my local school for 9-12 year olds. I have an idea to do something that the children will enjoy, but that is also educational. I don't want them to feel like it's just another week in school. I'm wondering what parents would like this kind of summer camp to include? Would you like to see an enjoyable approach to the likes of mathematics, irish and english? Or a focus on the more ignored subjects of the curriculum, such as science or music? Or something totally unrelated to the curriculum? And would you prefer a full week, or a day a week for an extended period? (i.e. every Wednesday for 5 weeks?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Hi Parents! I am a primary school teacher, and want to set up a low cost summer camp in my local school for 9-12 year olds. I have an idea to do something that the children will enjoy, but that is also educational. I don't want them to feel like it's just another week in school. I'm wondering what parents would like this kind of summer camp to include? Would you like to see an enjoyable approach to the likes of mathematics, irish and english? Or a focus on the more ignored subjects of the curriculum, such as science or music? Or something totally unrelated to the curriculum? And would you prefer a full week, or a day a week for an extended period? (i.e. every Wednesday for 5 weeks?)

I would prefer one day per week personally.
    I think in the holidays the child is off school so lay off the schoolwork.
    Drama, music, art P.E. fun and confidence building.
    Just my personal opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

leave all the educational parts out. enough rubbish is pushed on kids.
    these camps should teach life skills, how to cook, sew,knit, sow vegetables, gardening,learning about nature, farming, where our food comes from, basic stuff like that.
    if they can experience these things young they can see if they like them and find their calling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It's the holidays, I wouldn't want to have bloody jolly phonics ringing in my ears then too!!
    I'd lay off the educational stuff in general, except maybe stuff that's not on the curriculum and could be seen as either a) a life skill, or b) fun (or both!!). Science and home ec I suppose really.

I don't know about the full week vs the day per week really. The problem with one day a week is that it will clash with other camps, so people won't be able to make them all. That's fine if you don't expect them to pay for it, but otherwise they'll probably be put off by it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Hi Parents! I am a primary school teacher, Would you like to see an enjoyable approach to the likes of mathematics, irish and english? Or a focus on the more ignored subjects of the curriculum, such as science or music? Or something totally unrelated to the curriculum? And would you prefer a full week, or a day a week for an extended period? (i.e. every Wednesday for 5 weeks?)
    Science and Music are certainly not ignored, I have no idea where you got that idea. There's an allocated time for both subjects which must be met. I would think a primary teacher would know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

Going from my experience with summer camps over the past couple of years, mostly what I'd be looking for is a camp that doesn't have stupid hours for working parents. 9am to 2pm or even worse 10am to 2pm is just not feasible!

As for content, a nice mix throughout the week of science, sports, arts and crafts, outings (cinema, local park)and maybe ''guest speakers'' such as readers, puppet shows, etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement