Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An post Jobs

Options
  • 05-06-2017 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

For those who work in Anpost or ever worked for Anpost I wonder if guys can help me . i'm currently in a private sector full time employment but the job is not as secure as An post or the state/semi-state jobs would be.Where I work is very far, Very costly for me cost me a huge fortune to get to work, I spend a long hours commuting every day, I have a smaller mortgage though and a second child on the way. As crazy as it might sound leaving a full time job for a temporary job , I have been trying to get on state jobs for security, longevity, working locally will certainly enhance my finances big time , improve my well being and enable me to spend time with my kids.However, the government jobs are proving to be very elusive. An opportunity is set to arise I'm in the panel for the temporary Mail Operative locally and might be called soon although what I really is full time permanent mail Operative position. The QUESTION HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO SECURE A FULL PERMANENT JOB once I have one foot inside? HOW DOES IT WORK ONCE INSIDE AND POSSIBLE ADVICES?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Why on earth would you give up a full time job in favour of a part time, quite poorly paid and mundane job with no real prospects? An Post is unlikely to be offering any full time positions in the immediate future. It is an already overstaffed organisation and management want to secure large scale redundancies in order to reduce wage costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Reezer

chicorytip wrote: »
    Why on earth would you give up a full time job in favour of a part time, quite poorly paid and mundane job with no real prospects? An Post is unlikely to be offering any full time positions in the immediate future. It is an already overstaffed organisation and management want to secure large scale redundancies.]

Thank you Chicorytip for your reply, I need to digest all these views so all inputs are welcome . I spend €300/€400 travelling each month to work,I live in the country side and work in Dublin docks side , I leave my house at 6:15am and I get back home at 7:15pm earliest , when I get home my daughter is ready to go to bed and I'm tired, come Friday I'm knackered from travelling.

Thank you Chicorytip for your reply, I need to digest all these views so all inputs are welcome . I spend €300/€400 travelling each month to work,I live in the country side and work in Dublin docks side , I leave my house at 6:15am and I get back home at 7:15pm earliest , when I get home my daughter is ready to go to bed and I'm tired, come Friday I'm knackered from travelling. It's a question of securing a secure job for longevity in the long run, also saving time and money by eliminating commuting expenses. Where I live there isn't much work going, except Dublin which is the jobs hub of the country. I dnt wanna lose out on a potential opportunity to work locally coz apperantlty if I decline any offer my name would be removed from the panel. So the idea is to get on through the offer set to arise and hope to secure permancy once inside. So for those who work for Anpost any more advises?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

If a secure State job is your main priority, it might be better to use the An Post position as a stepping stone to a job where you are directly employed by the State (e.g., civil service, local government), as these tend to be more secure than a job with a semi-state, as witnessed by the recent compulsory redundancies at Bord na Móna.

Although there is a perception that there is no job security in the private sector, it really depends. Areas such as retail, travel and IT can be quite volatile, but more "established" areas such as medicine, law or accountancy are less vulnerable to economic fluctuations, so you might consider trying to get an administrative role in one of those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

I was a casual mail operative ( postman) for 5 years at a local post office covering 8 different routes when staff were out sick or on holidays. When all the staff were present I had no work. I left a full time job for the position and absolutely loved it, but in the end I couldn't get full time and with a heavy heart I had to leave.
    I think where you go will depend on whether you can get permanent or not. I knew of lads in bigger sorting offices get taken on and made permanent after a couple of years. Some had to do unsocialable hours
    for a while e.g. split shifts..
    But it a great job.

• Advertisement

@Creol1- Many thanks for your response much appreciated. Yeah my priority is mainly security, working closer to home eliminating commuting expenses, being able to spend time with my kids. However, I'm in the panel for administrative job in my local county council and on the list for the current ongoing tulsa/HSE 2017 Clerical Officer campaign but these State jobs tend to be very elusive as the competition tends to be tight and more like a case of lottery at times.

@fennor72 - thanking you for giving me an insight very much appreciated. An post job will be 8 mins away from me compared to my current job where I leave the house at shortly after 6:00 am and be back after 7pm every week day. Travelling to and from is costly, time consuming in terms of traffic congestion especially in unfriendly winter weathers and when school are open, such amount of daily commuting causes severe constant exhaustion in the long run. An post temporary Mail Operative looks like its coming fruition only if was straight forward permanent I wouldn't be asking all these insightful questions and then again if I turn it down my name will be removed altogether from the panel and this could be the one only shot or opportunity of working closer to home it might disappear altogether. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

I understand where you are coming from. I was working 12hr shifts with a young family. My wife would have to leave the house with the kids when I came in from work after nights so I could get some sleep. With an post I was 10 minutes from work and finishing up at 3 at the latest. Previous job was 8. What made me take a chance on an post was that I knew I couldn't keep going on shift it wasn't fair on my family.
    For the years I was in an post I claimed my stamps for the weeks I
    had no work. When my stamps ran out I was told I wouldn't get any unemployment benefit because my wife was employed full time. So I had no choice but to find another job.
    Do the math, if it means a better life for you take it.

@fennor72 - I will weigh my decision on mathematicality basis and lifestyle qualityness judgement. Certainly these discussions are very helpful in comprehending different angles. Thanks-a-lot

Advertisement