Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noise Cancelling Headphones - €49 - Bank Holiday Monday only

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Not sure what the panic is about on here tbh.

A 2 year old product with very few and mostly incentivised reviews on amazon all over a year old selling from a website that seems to be having massive issues for a 71% discount sounds dodgy as fcuk to me.

What really put me off was the hiss noise mentioned in almost every review. I know I will hear it, and I know I will be pissed like hell when hearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

Pulled the trigger on these earlier be interested to see what they are like to replace the sony ones I have. Thanks op

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

now that you said it i will hear it too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

I'v sent a cancel request. Already have perfectly good headphones and any hissing noise I would definitely hear as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Two AAA batteries every 18 hours?

Pain in the swiss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

bromley52 wrote:
    I'v sent a cancel request. Already have perfectly good headphones and any hissing noise I would definitely hear as well.

That won't work. They have minimal online customer service. Call them, they will cancel immediately.

have you got a link to that review?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

limnam wrote: »
    Two AAA batteries every 18 hours?

Pain in the swiss
    You won't be using ANC at every opportunity though surely.. just flights, trains and such.

Pack of 4 Duracell AAA's will have you sorted for any long haul flight - return and all. Or just pack a few rechargeables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Autochange wrote: »
    have you got a link to that review?

i assume its this. I would imagine its the battery causing that though. But its only when quiet. Cant imagine they were reviewed and it wasnt picked up if that bad. Sure its 50 euro

3.0 out of 5 starsThese headphones are very good for music and film
    ByGlendragonon 10 April 2016
    Colour: Heritage Edition|Verified Purchase
    These headphones are very good for music and film, but during pauses or quiet periods you can hear a background humming noise, I am disappointed as my older previous pair, purchased 4 years ago, had the same background noise and caused other customers to criticise them. Now we have a brand new model with the same inherent problem.

• Advertisement

tedpan wrote: »
    That won't work. They have minimal online customer service. Call them, they will cancel immediately.

Thanks but the service request worked. It's now cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 iLander

grogi wrote: »
    Not sure what the panic is about on here tbh.

A 2 year old product with very few and mostly incentivised reviews on amazon all over a year old selling from a website that seems to be having massive issues for a 71% discount sounds dodgy as fcuk to me.

What really put me off was the hiss noise mentioned in almost every review. I know I will hear it, and I know I will be pissed like hell when hearing it.
    Can you link to at least two that mention that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

For 50 notes I will take a chance on a little hissing, all the reviews that mentioned it still gave the headphones a positive review, even at the 150 ? price tag

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Not saying that the hiss is not there but - having bought quite a few audio products online ranging from €14.99 to €200+ - I find that this category is very subjective when it comes to reviews, more so than most consumer electronics categories. You can have very sophisticated audiophiles that detect minimal distortions at all range levels and more regular people can barely tell if something is bass or treble heavy.
    Again for €50 I can forgive a little hiss... had I paid full sticker price I would've been more critical surely. Let's see when they get here...

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Not saying that the hiss is not there but - having bought quite a few audio products online ranging from €14.99 to €200+ - I find that this category is very subjective when it comes to reviews, more so than most consumer electronics categories. You can have very sophisticated audiophiles that detect minimal distortions at all range levels and more regular people can barely tell if something is bass or treble heavy.
    Again for €50 I can forgive a little hiss... had I paid full sticker price I would've been more critical surely. Let's see when they get here...

I could forgive distortions, less stage depth and all that audiophile mumbo-jumbo - because these things are very subjective. But a hiss is there or not. I have a very cheap €20 BT headphones that otherwise sound very good - but the hiss is again not acceptable. For me of course. I hate them.

Nevertheless, let me know when the Extremes show up, so I can shoot myself in the foot ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

rustynutz wrote: »
    For 50 notes I will take a chance on a little hissing, all the reviews that mentioned it still gave the headphones a positive review, even at the 150 ? price tag

Those reviews are a year old and 5/9 are incentivised. One of the other reviews mentions the product was £40.

So firstly incentivised reviews are worthless. You have no idea what they've agreed with the manufacturer, free expensive product with promise of more in future = 100% 5 star review every single time. That's why they are banned by amazon now because they render the rating system useless.

Secondly there's a blog review from 2015 for that exact product and all other reviews are from 2016.

So what we have here is a 2 year old product with 3/4 usable reviews which are possibly based on the product being sold at £40 a year ago.

Maybe they are good and worth the 50 and maybe they aren't but it's pretty clear they're nowhere near worth the 160 they listed and probably never were given they seem to have sold f-all on amazon until the price dropped substantially. Now they are "on sale" again a year later.

If i buy a snake does it make the headphones cancel out the hiss?

Honestly dont care what people think, not gonna pay 300 euro so these'll do.
    I can generally understand when someones faking a review. Reviews were genuinely detailed enough to make my mind up.

Its 49 euro, if they dont work theyre going back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

My headphones have shipped! Got a tracking number with UPS. Not bad for free shipping! No idea where they're coming from yet though.

Doge wrote: »
    My headphones have shipped! Got a tracking number with UPS. Not bad for free shipping! No idea where they're coming from yet though.

Mine shipped too. Left this morning with UPS Standard, I'd say if we're lucky by Friday if not Monday

Got these today.. the reviews were right.. brutal hiss from them:

viper-in-ear-headphones_2.jpg

• Advertisement

Anyone know how long an ibood refund takes to reach the bank account?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Bit of a Google indicates they are made by otone. A further check shows that they had an otone vtx anc headphone product which sounds very similar to these. Sample review comparing to others :
    http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/10/the-best-noise-cancelling-headphones/

Mine shipped too. Left this morning with UPS Standard, I'd say if we're lucky by Friday if not Monday

id plan on the following fridays/mondays tbh. From memory this is not by air UPS.

id plan on the following fridays/mondays tbh. From memory this is not by air UPS.
    Estimated delivery 12/06. They're shipping from Germany not China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Yeah, got a shipping notification too, shipping from Dusseldorf, be interesting to see if they are as good as the Otone ones linked above

I stand corrected. Previous order took 4 days. Must be thinking of someone else.

yoshimitsu wrote:

Yep, mine have just left the UK. UPS shipments usually are delivered on Fridays once they leave the UK before Thursday evening.

Fingers crossed they will be here tomorrow.
    rustynutz wrote:
    Yeah, got a shipping notification too, shipping from Dusseldorf, be interesting to see if they are as good as the Otone ones linked above

The features look very close to the extremes and if you look at the frame hinges and switches they are very similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Got these today, impressed in the small bit I have used them so far.

Must pick up some rechargeable batteries

naughtb4 wrote:
    Got these today, impressed in the small bit I have used them so far.

Mine just arrived too. Very impressed, the soundstage and bass are very good. The noise cancellation is good too, very happy!

tedpan wrote: »
    Mine just arrived too. Very impressed, the soundstage and bass are very good. The noise cancellation is good too, very happy!

Damn...

teething.jpg

• Advertisement

grogi wrote:
    Damn...

:( Lol, I suppose it was always going to be a risk mate, even a small one!

The noise cancellation has a very small hum when no music is playing, but nothing to complain about, its lower than any NC headphones I've used previously.

Excellent bass and treble to these headphones, sounds like the treble is eqd compared to flat but has nice crispness.

The bass isn't as natural as my Sennheisser HD-380 pros but close. The background noise with ANC is low and negligible. It's more like the sound you get from a cassette playing than "hum".

And simply cannot be heard when you're playing music. What more could you want?

Just noticed with ANC engaged you get a nice boost on the mids and lows, techno tracks can sound a bit dull without it.

The switch isnt the greatest, it can be tricky to switch it into the middle to ANC without pushing it to Vortex while the headphones are on but for the price i can't complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Excellent headphones, very impressed , came with batteries, a lovely little carry case , a few audio connectors.

Thanks OP!

personally, can only hear the hiss without music playing. it disappears at level 4 on my iphone with spotify.
    I'm using them in the office and they do a good job at reducing A/C and PC noise... maybe a bit the background murmur of my open floor plan office as well
    comfortable fit and nice case w/ accessories.
    good intro ANC headphones so far.
    next purchase: need a AAA battery charger for the office! Found a cheap USB powered one on amazon for ?8

yoshimitsu wrote:
    personally, can only hear the hiss without music playing. it disappears at level 4 on my iphone with spotify. I'm using them in the office and they do a good job at reducing A/C and PC noise... maybe a bit the background murmur of my open floor plan office as well comfortable fit and nice case w/ accessories. good intro ANC headphones so far. next purchase: need a AAA battery charger for the office! Found a cheap USB powered one on amazon for ?8

Nice one!

Luckily, I order in the stationery at work(one of my many duties)

32x AAA are on the way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

Great set of headphones, thanks a lot tedpan. Well worth the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Looking forward to trying these.
    Prompt delivery. Well packaged.

I've got a set of Bose QC25s, so don't expect the same thing necessarily, but the noise cancellation should be nice. Basically will use these when doing the odd but of mixing or somewhere very loud in terms of background.

From audio perspective, I expect them to be cranked up on the bass artificially and somewhat pushed on the treble. Still, can't go wrong for fifty.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Would be interested in hearing how they compare to the Qc25 both from an audio quality and anc perspective

I've got a set of Bose QC25s, so don't expect the same thing necessarily, but the noise cancellation should be nice. Basically will use these when doing the odd but of mixing or somewhere very loud in terms of background.

From audio perspective, I expect them to be cranked up on the bass artificially and somewhat pushed on the treble. Still, can't go wrong for fifty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Blueandgold88

Very impressed with the headphones. Just wondering do they leak more than other over ear headphones?

Arrived today. Great item for the price. Old school hip hop with the base boost on all evening!
    Good spot OP

Haha, static noise is a fairly fitting name for a ANC Headphone enthusiast!

The treble isnt pushed when ANC is off, its a more flat experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Would be interested in hearing how they compare to the Qc25 both from an audio quality and anc perspective

I am going to give them a go over the next few days, from everyday Spotify (Premium) to some FLAC, right the way across. Even though people can't buy them, it might uncover some things that the fellow buyers should try!
    Doge wrote: »
    Haha, static noise is a fairly fitting name for a ANC Headphone enthusiast!

I registered that username especially for this occasion. Years in the waiting. ;)

Just wanted to add that these headphones are perfect for PSVR because of the clearance the headband provides. Much better than those Turtle Beach headphones i reckon which are a smilar price on amazon that that get sweaty after a while. Thrilled with my purchase.

Very impressed with the headphones. Just wondering do they leak more than other over ear headphones?

They do leak quite a bit. Was listening to Sabotage full blast yday and my colleague 3 meters away emailed me "You like the Beastie Boys??"

• Advertisement

They do leak quite a bit. Was listening to Sabotage full blast yday and my colleague 3 meters away emailed me "You like the Beastie Boys??"
    Yeah, bit of leakage alright but cracking earphones. Really worth €50 and then some.

Case is handy but a tight enough squeeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Great sound out of these beauties. Delighted with them. Cant go wrong for 50 quid!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Basq wrote: »
    Yeah, bit of leakage alright but cracking earphones. Really worth €50 and then some.

Case is handy but a tight enough squeeze.

Delighted with these too (thanks op), but yeah I'm wary of stuffing them into the case - feel like I'm gonna snap them :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Decent set of cans. I got 2 at the price. Cheers OP for a great find and alerting the rest of us. Thanks.

Back on ibood, for the next 24 hours only :) although no free shipping, still not too bad for the money!

• Advertisement
Advertisement