Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conviction - Entering US on holidays

Options
  • 05-06-2017 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

Hello

I have one conviction on my record for criminal damage.

Would this be a problem were I to travel to the US next year on holidays?

Do I need to disclose - should I disclose - would the US embassy place a permanent bar on me?

Could I not go through the airport and see what happens?

All advice welcome my friends! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

You will need to get a visa and do a medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Yes, it will be a problem. You need to contact the American Embassy in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Yes, it will be a problem. You need to contact the American Embassy in Dublin.

Yes - contact the Embassy. Get the visa. Surely there is no way on entering the US they have access to the police records of the Republic of Ireland. Are there not people with convictions entering the US all the time on holiday visas?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

So what type of response did you expect?

You asked the question, either take the advice or ignore it and take your chances - your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yes - contact the Embassy. Get the visa. Surely there is no way on entering the US they have access to the police records of the Republic of Ireland. Are there not people with convictions entering the US all the time on holiday visas?

They only know what you tell them on the ESTA site. So if you don't inform you will most likely be ok. If you do tell you'll need a visa. But it still comes down to the CBP officer on the day if you get in or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

They get advanced passanger information. If you lie and get caught you'll have a lot of trouble getting in again. But be clear and apply for the visa and you should be fine. But it'll depend on your conviction, trivial criminal damage will be fine. Violence is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

If it's only a something small there is no need to even declare it.
    It's for crimes of "moral turpitude" that have to be declared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

Excellent thread - people on that thread are so articulate! :D

In my case there were a number of counts of criminal damage at different points involving broken wipers, red paint on a door and oil in a motor tank. Plus one e-mail which was viewed as harassment. I got a three year end suspended sentence which believe me was not one of my finer moments.

Why I was pushed towards these actions - that would a horse of a different colour!

This all happened two years and was my first conviction ever in my 40s.

Think on balance I will consult with the US embassy on an anonymous basis first but would strongly lead towards going into the US without saying a word. :eek:

Thanks for all the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

I'd really caution against taking a chance.
    But it's your call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

If you done any jail time you haven't a hope of getting in. If it wasn't a custodial sentence and you haven't reoffended in some time you'll be grand.

Trust me, you don't want to meet American police as a criminal trying to get into their country in this environment. It won't be a polite and pleasant experience. It won't be an excuse me sir, but we are very sorry, we can't let you in. It isn't a joke for them. They don't get the idea of chancing your arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

myshirt wrote: »
    If you done any jail time you haven't a hope of getting in. If it wasn't a custodial sentence and you haven't reoffended in some time you'll be grand.

Trust me, you don't want to meet American police as a criminal trying to get into their country in this environment. It won't be a polite and pleasant experience. It won't be an excuse me sir, but we are very sorry, we can't let you in. It isn't a joke for them. They don't get the idea of chancing your arm.

Although after reading some literature from the State department's website I'm not so sure they make a distinction between custodial and suspended.

This is my problem - if I thought I could get a visa I would take that option every day of the week.

My fear is that it won't be given now or in the future and I would missed the chance to apply to sail through customs or even get stopped and get sent home with the same result as a visa denial.

Perhaps contacting the embassy on an anonymous basis is best in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Although after reading some literature from the State department's website I'm not so sure they make a distinction between custodial and suspended.

This is my problem - if I thought I could get a visa I would take that option every day of the week.

My fear is that it won't be given now or in the future and I would missed the chance to apply to sail through customs or even get stopped and get sent home with the same result as a visa denial.

Perhaps contacting the embassy on an anonymous basis is best in the first instance.

You can't trust advice from the embassy - they are allowed to lie.

As far as I know, they look at the maximum sentence that could have been imposed and not the actual sentence received. If the offences were minor, were once off and were a few years ago, there's no reason why you won't get a visa. It'll take a few months to process (like 6-8 months).

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

What was the conviction for?

I'd not tell them. You'll be fine. They don't have access to crime record's

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Multiple counts of criminal damage in your 40s...hopefully their systems cop it and it gets rejected because we all know you won't declare it.

Multiple counts of criminal damage in your 40s...hopefully their systems cop it and it gets rejected because we all know you won't declare it.

If I don't declare are you saying you hope I get caught or don't get caught? It's not clear from your post.

Advertisement