Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerline Adaptors - 2nd router 1 SSID?

Options
  • 05-06-2017 11:17am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am in the middle of the building an extension, and noticed that wireless signal is very poor in some parts of the new build.

I was going to get a 4G LTE Router and dedicate it to the new build, but thinking about it, will probably cause issues in the long run.

My current thinking is to get powerline adaptors, and hook up another router in the new build (all on the same electrical circuit). However, I dont want to need 2 separate SSID points. Is there a way to configure the new router to be the same details as the main one, so the devices will just connect to the strongest signal, without trying to re-authenticate all the time?

Would setting the SSID and password the same as the old one, work, or is it a little more complex?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Setting the same SSID and pass is the way to go, your devices will roam. How well your devices roam is down to the device itself.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ok perfect, thanks. So will the devices roam according to the strongest signal, or based on which is "first in the list" on the devices? Will it even show 2 separate SSIDs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

antodeco wrote: »
    Ok perfect, thanks. So will the devices roam according to the strongest signal, or based on which is "first in the list" on the devices? Will it even show 2 separate SSIDs?

Like I said, it depends on the device itself. Newer devices will work well, nearly flawless while older devices could be problematic, ie you may have to disconnect and reconnect to get the device to move to the stronger signal. Newer Apple devices work very well with roaming, Android not as good but there are apps you can install to help (recheck and join strongest signal every x mins).

Both access points will appear as a single SSID. make sure you have both set to channels well apart from each other

• Registered Users Posts: 45 gearoid!

There are definitely poorly engineered clients out there with poor roaming algorithms or thresholds, which don't actually roam when they should, and thus end up being too "sticky", staying on the first AP they joined well after they could have been getting better performance and reliability with another AP that they are now closer to. Sometimes it helps to force the client's Wi-Fi interface to rejoin the network when you notice that a client has stuck to the wrong AP. If you have a lot of these buggy clients, then using the same SSID for multiple APs might not work well for you; you might want to use different SSIDs so you can more easily monitor and control which AP your client is associated to.

Advertisement