Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Executive Officer 2017 - Tax, Audit & Compliance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

je551e wrote: »
    Hoping you don't mind me jumping in here but do you work overtime?

No overtime, you can work up Flexi-time though.
    When you are out on working on a case, is it usually within commuting distance from home or would you have to stay over? The reason I ask is that I have a young family and I wouldn't be able to spend nights away from them.

And are you usually working on your own when you are out of the office? Or would you be working with other EO's or have a team of CO's with you that you'd have to manage? Again sorry for all the questions but it's very hard to find out from Revenue what exactly the job entails :)

There are no overnight stays. Will be based in a particular district with all your calls being within that district so you will never be "too far" away from the office.

It's a policy in my district that everyone goes out in twos. The main reason behind this is that it's difficult to take detailed notes while conducting an interview of you are on your own. The case itself will be assigned to one person though, the second person is just support for the on-site part of the Audit.
    ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    Don't mind the naysayer above. It is a great job and if someone finds it too challenging, well, some people are just not cut out for work of any kind.

Some people struggle to make target.

Some people, a few, don't even consider the targets as they will zip past them anyway in a breeze

As I said, this is all based on my personal experience. I have to say though that you are literally the only person I have ever heard say it's a great job. Out of the 16 people that started at the same time as me, 7 have already left the job as they hate it. Others like me are sitting on transfer lists to get out of it. Targets are not an issue, most people easily make them due to the large amount of cases you'll be given.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Board.surf wrote: »
    It really doesn't sound all that bad. Putting in an extra 10 hours a week would combat the issues outlined. A 50 hour work week doesn't even come close to the needs of "private" employers for a similar position. If one is to compare the challenges outlined, they are also bright and shiny compared to what most people put up with. Work is work. It's supposed to be hard. If you ask for the negatives, you will get the negatives.

This is great in theory but bear in mind that you are not permitted to stay clocked in past 7pm so it's difficult to put in the extra time to catch up if you are out on a call until 5pm. I can't stress enough how much time pressure you are under. This may be different depending on the district you are in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

Kingp35 wrote: »
    No overtime, you can work up Flexi-time though.

As I said, this is all based on my personal experience. I have to say though that you are literally the only person I have ever heard say it's a great job. Out of the 16 people that started at the same time as me, 7 have already left the job as they hate it. Others like me are sitting on transfer lists to get out of it. Targets are not an issue, most people easily make them due to the large amount of cases you'll be given.

What is it that is so terrible about it? Also, the overtime question is regarding hours worked (I would imagine), not compensation. i.e Many people work 40 hours with 20 hours over to a total of 60 hours per week. What would your average be?

Overall, what would you think would improve the issues encountered? What is your ideal job in comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭SunshineKid

What is it that is so terrible about it? Also, the overtime question is regarding hours worked (I would imagine), not compensation. i.e Many people work 40 hours with 20 hours over to a total of 60 hours per week. What would your average be?

Overall, what would you think would improve the issues encountered? What is your ideal job in comparison?

Do people seriously work 60 hours at this job? I thought civil service was meant to be family friendly. That would not be feasible for me. No private company that I ever worked for expected their employees to work 60 hours a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Working 60 hours a week for an EO's salary is less than minimum wage so I'd say that's pretty terrible. People generally enter the civil service, leaving the private sector's higher wages, for a better work life balance.

Most people, both in the public and private sector, value their time more than working 20 extra hours a week unpaid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Do people seriously work 60 hours at this job? I thought civil service was meant to be family friendly. That would not be feasible for me. No private company that I ever worked for expected their employees to work 60 hours a week

No they don't, nor are they expected to! At higher levels (AP and up) you'll find a lot of people work longer hours alright, but they're getting paid a manager's salary.

No they don't, nor are they expected to! At higher levels (AP and up) you'll find a lot of people work longer hours alright, but they're getting paid a manager's salary.

I wasn't referring to people in the public sector or this position. I was asking what they do work and stated that many people do work over 60 hours. It was obvious, from the context of the conversation that I was asking the revenue employee how many hours they work in comparison to many people who don't work at revenue but work 60 hour weeks. The revenue employee was saying they hate the job. I am asking why.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BobCat123

Some people love audit and others are the complete opposite. I'm based in the Dublin region and like it so far. The first few weeks are very daunting and you question whether you're capable for the job. It just takes time to get your head around the different systems and the workload involved in doing an audit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Peggyk2

Hi,
    Has anyone received their dates for interview yet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Peggyk2 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Has anyone received their dates for interview yet ?

Nothing yet, wonder will there be a presentation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

I wasn't referring to people in the public sector or this position. I was asking what they do work and stated that many people do work over 60 hours. It was obvious, from the context of the conversation that I was asking the revenue employee how many hours they work in comparison to many people who don't work at revenue but work 60 hour weeks. The revenue employee was saying they hate the job. I am asking why.

I take it from your posts that you're not in the civil service currently? Ive spent more than half my career in the private sector and I'm pretty sure the amount of people, in equivalent office based salaried jobs earning in the region of 30k - 40k, that regularly work 60 hours a week, is negligible. What sector do you think this is common in?

Perhaps in the biggest accountancy and legal firms where the most ambitious will sell their souls to the job in order to get ahead. However, (fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you view the value of commitment and work ethic!) that carry on doesn't necessarily get you anywhere in the civil service.

I take it from your posts that you're not in the civil service currently? Ive spent more than half my career in the private sector and I'm pretty sure the amount of people, in equivalent office based salaried jobs earning in the region of 30k - 40k, that regularly work 60 hours a week, is negligible. What sector do you think this is common in?

Perhaps in the biggest accountancy and legal firms where the most ambitious will sell their souls to the job in order to get ahead. However, (fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you view the value of commitment and work ethic!) that carry on doesn't necessarily get you anywhere in the civil service.

I spend 4 years working in civil service in the US. It was the same except I'd do the hours and nobody else would. Before that was retail operations. Up to 70 hour weeks even coming up to Xmas. Since then, financial services. I know IT, legal and financial employees on call around the clock. I'm not looking to work 60 hour weeks.
    And as per usual, one part of my statement has been dwelled upon and my question lost. There was a person stating that the job was horrible. One logic was due to hours worked. I was asking if they would be working 60 hour weeks or why they hate the job. I am trying to ask what they hated about the job. I wanted to know what job they would find acceptable, as a means to see if they are just soft, or if the job is actually that bad.

How much notice is normally given for the interviews?

Anyone heard anything ?

Anyone heard anything ?

No and I'm not expecting to hear anything from them for another couple of weeks. They said interviews will take place in September. From experience I know that they usually only give around a weeks notice for interview. I'd be extremely surprised if I got more notice than that.

• Advertisement

Really ? A week not much notice , thanks though

Really ? A week not much notice , thanks though

I've never had any more than 1-2 weeks notice but it could be different this time, who knows! You could get an email the last week of August saying that your interview was the last week of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dragonflyblue

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything yet about interviews since September is nearly upon us????

Nothing here

Nothing but I would expect to hear by the end of this week or next week the latest.

• Advertisement

Anyone hear yet??

Anyone hear yet??

Yes, I got word today for interview early September

• Registered Users Posts: 23 purplegold114

Hi don't want to know your exact date, but was it the for sometime next week? Just wondering about notice period.

Hi don't want to know your exact date, but was it the for sometime next week? Just wondering about notice period.

Yes it's for next week and I'm not exactly pleased about the date. Don't know what I'm going to say to them at work because I already had 2 other days booked off next week. How do I go looking for a third 😬

Also, there is just one interview by the way. No preliminary!

Yes it's for next week and I'm not exactly pleased about the date. Don't know what I'm going to say to them at work because I already had 2 other days booked off next week. How do I go looking for a third 😬

That is ****, why do all these appointments come at the worst times, eg. "What you're from way outside Dublin?? Well in that case we'll put your interview on first thing in the morning! " But what can we do! Fingers crossed this won't be the case but not holding my breath! Best of Luck BTW!

Oh no way was hoping it would be any week but next week. Wonder if I didn't get email today does that mean I'm not next week.

Also best of luck

Where are the interviews being held?

Best of luck with it.

That is ****, why do all these appointments come at the worst times, eg. "What you're from way outside Dublin?? Well in that case we'll put your interview on first thing in the morning! " But what can we do! Fingers crossed this won't be the case but not holding my breath! Best of Luck BTW!

Thanks!! And good luck to you also...

Oh no way was hoping it would be any week but next week. Wonder if I didn't get email today does that mean I'm not next week.

Also best of luck

They will have to give you at least a weeks notice. I'm guessing that they'll be sending out emails all this week. Good luck to you too!!

• Advertisement

Where are the interviews being held?

Best of luck with it.

Thanks Dragonflyblue. The interviews are being held in Dublin Castle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Densey12

Received email confirming my interview today!

Densey12 wrote: »
    Received email confirming my interview today!

Just wondering is it for next week? Best of luck.

Just wondering is it for next week? Best of luck.

Thanks ill need it all! :)
    No Je551e , you will be glad to know!
    In excess of two weeks so you should be safe for next week! :)

Densey12 wrote: »
    Thanks ill need it all! :)
    No Je551e , you will be glad to know!
    In excess of two weeks so you should be safe for next week! :)

That's great to hear phew 😅

Probably a stupid question but for anyone that has received their interview details, was there a letter and number in the subject line of the email as in EO TAC Interviews Revenue B1....is that Batch 1?? Are we broken up into batches or is that a code for something else? I have never seen it before in the Revenue interviews. Has anyone received anything similar??

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭monkeylover10

Probably a stupid question but for anyone that has received their interview details, was there a letter and number in the subject line of the email as in EO TAC Interviews Revenue B1....is that Batch 1?? Are we broken up into batches or is that a code for something else? I have never seen it before in the Revenue interviews. Has anyone received anything similar??

Yeah I got email yesterday for early next week & it says EO TAC Interviews Revenue B2 on title.

This is my first interview with Revenue. I gather that we will be asked on all copmetencies and if asked for examples do we give the same ones. I suppose it would be no harm to have a few back up examples. It mentions we can bring a copy of our application with us, is this for reference to glance at in the interview? Apart from the competencies does anyone know what else they could ask?

Yeah I got email yesterday for early next week & it says EO TAC Interviews Revenue B2 on title.

This is my first interview with Revenue. I gather that we will be asked on all copmetencies and if asked for examples do we give the same ones. I suppose it would be no harm to have a few back up examples. It mentions we can bring a copy of our application with us, is this for reference to glance at in the interview? Apart from the competencies does anyone know what else they could ask?

Now I'm thinking maybe the B stands for Board?? There could be 2 interview boards running at the same time (as is usually the case) Board 1 & Board 2. I've just never seen it on an email before.

As for the interview, yes you will have to refer to your application form. Know your competencies and examples inside out because it mostly evolves around that. And also no harm to have a second example, just in case. I need to heed my own advice now because I haven't given my form a second glance since I filled it in last May :(

Now I'm thinking maybe the B stands for Board?? There could be 2 interview boards running at the same time (as is usually the case) Board 1 & Board 2. I've just never seen it on an email before.

As for the interview, yes you will have to refer to your application form. Know your competencies and examples inside out because it mostly evolves around that. And also no harm to have a second example, just in case. I need to heed my own advice now because I haven't given my form a second glance since I filled it in last May :(

Yes subshinekid, mine said board 1 not B1 , so I believe you are right!

• Advertisement

Got mine and its towards the end of September so I'm happy with that

Got mine too, mid-end of September! Extremely happy as heading on holidays on Saturday and can enjoy it now! Good luck all ðŸ€

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

Anyone else still not get anything on their interview dates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Keogh08

sob1467 wrote: »
    Anyone else still not get anything on their interview dates?

I haven't received anything yet either.

Keogh08 wrote: »
    I haven't received anything yet either.

Nothing net here either.

For those of you who have received dates so far are ye early enough in the alphabet like would they be contacting us in alphabetical order by any chance? Or maybe it is random or some other unknown method.

Nothing net here either.

For those of you who have received dates so far are ye early enough in the alphabet like would they be contacting us in alphabetical order by any chance? Or maybe it is random or some other unknown method.

Yes I would be early enough in the alphabet. I'd guess that everyone should have their dates by the end of today. If not, definitely give them a ring. Also, don't forget to check your junk mail folder!!

• Advertisement

Nothing net here either.

Hi, I'm H in the alphabet, I got the email on Monday 28/08 and I have the interview on Tuesday 05/09 in a few days time... Dreading it and hope the nerves won't lead to memory loss!!! I've my application read to death...

Does anyone know how many people have been selected for the interview?

I'm a way down the alphabet the very end

Hi, I'm H in the alphabet, I got the email on Monday 28/08 and I have the interview on Tuesday 05/09 in a few days time... Dreading it and hope the nerves won't lead to memory loss!!! I've my application read to death...

Does anyone know how many people have been selected for the interview?

Getting worried now as i still haven't heard anything. Anyone else still waiting for the email?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Keogh08

Getting worried now as i still haven't heard anything. Anyone else still waiting for the email?

Nothing here still, id imagine next week at this rate, must be a fair few interviewees.

Keogh08 wrote: »
    Nothing here still, id imagine next week at this rate, must be a fair few interviewees.

Yes there must be. I wonder how many and then I wonder how many places will be available on a panel.

If you got a confirmation email saying you would be invited for an interview and you don't hear anything by Monday, I would ring them and let them know you haven't received a date for interview yet. Maybe they're keeping the best till last!! and if thats the case, I have no hope next week!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement