Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Executive Officer 2017 - Tax, Audit & Compliance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Anyone know if interviews are finished?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Keogh08

Interviews finished Thursday 12th October. Could still be some time before we hear back if there were 300 interviews over the six week span.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 purplegold114

Was there really 300 interviews???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Was there really 300 interviews???

Easily, that's only 10 a day and I think there was two interview panels.

Easily, that's only 10 a day and I think there was two interview panels.

I know there was 2 panels, I'm just thinking would they have done 10 a day? Lunches, public service hours etc.. And were they doing them on Mondays or Fridays?

The interviews were running at at least 40 mins also, breaks in between maybe 20mins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Keogh08

Even if they only did six a day, two panels for six weeks is still 360 interviewees. I'd say six a day is low water as there was 50 minutes between myself and the previous candidate.

I was told the interviewers will pass their assessments upstairs and it will be a few weeks from the final interview date of the 12th October before we hear anything.

Keogh08 wrote: »
    Interviews finished Thursday 12th October. Could still be some time before we hear back if there were 300 interviews over the six week span.
    Thanks

Another long wait so

Keogh08 wrote: »
    Even if they only did six a day, two panels for six weeks is still 360 interviewees. I'd say six a day is low water as there was 50 minutes between myself and the previous candidate.

I was told the interviewers will pass their assessments upstairs and it will be a few weeks from the final interview date of the 12th October before we hear anything.

I think that number is a bit crazy but maybe. Looks like a long wait ahead anyway according to what you're saying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Optiplexy99

je551e wrote: »
    Thanks

Another long wait so

Could possibly hear back result before Bank holiday weekend then maybe?

I've a feeling it will be this Friday _ I don't know why - just gut feeling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

They mark the interviewees as they go along but depending on how many successful candidates there were they may need to do another exercise to whittle down the numbers. It'll probably be another few weeks.

Could possibly hear back result before Bank holiday weekend then maybe?

I've a feeling it will be this Friday _ I don't know why - just gut feeling

Hope you’re right, just dying to know . But more I go over my interview the more I think I didn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dragonflyblue

Hope you’re right, just dying to know . But more I go over my interview the more I think I didn’t

I'm the same.

So there could possibly be another selection method like second interview or presentation or whatever still ahead of us so? Oh 'ek!

I'm the same.

So there could possibly be another selection method like second interview or presentation or whatever still ahead of us so? Oh 'ek!

I don’t know would they have time to do that with a start date of January but I could be wrong , completely new to all this

I'm the same.

No I doubt that. There usually is a minimum score per compentency in an interview i.e. 40/100. If there are 100s of people qualifying on the basis of these marks, they may adjust the minimum score to 50 or 55/100 to whittle down candidates.

fg1406 wrote: »
    No I doubt that. There usually is a minimum score per compentency in an interview i.e. 40/100. If there are 100s of people qualifying on the basis of these marks, they may adjust the minimum score to 50 or 55/100 to whittle down candidates.

According to the e-mail we got inviting us to interview we have to get at least 55% on each competency:

"Each of the above five areas will be scored and you must reach a minimum standard of 55% in each area to be considered successful at interview."

• Advertisement

well Friday come & gone - No sign of anything

Maybe before the bank holiday weekend!!!

well Friday come & gone - No sign of anything

Maybe before the bank holiday weekend!!!

Today’s Thursday isn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Sevenup79

When do you think results will be out? This evening may be a bit soon. I'm thinking Thur or Fri next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pokkets

I just rang them there. They said results should be out towards end of next week.

Today’s Thursday isn’t it?

Oops - LOL - yes it was Thursday!!!
    had Friday on the brain!!!
    Sorry

• Advertisement

Sevenup79 wrote: »
    When do you think results will be out? This evening may be a bit soon. I'm thinking Thur or Fri next week.

I reckon so!! def before Bank holiday id say!!

pokkets wrote: »
    I just rang them there. They said results should be out towards end of next week.

great to hear

Here’s hoping we’ll all know by this day next week.

Just seen this, great to hear! Not long now then
    😓!!

Not too long more to wait so!

Wonder where the positions will be now though. All this and still no idea where the positions are.

Not too long more to wait so!

Wonder where the positions will be now though. All this and still no idea where the positions are.

I know that’s the thing mightn’t even have a place where we want after all of it

I know that’s the thing mightn’t even have a place where we want after all of it

I assume the positions are Nation wide - In every Tax district esp as 6 weeks of interviewing!
    Just my thinking on it anyway............
    I assume also that may be given a choice on Location perhaps!!??

I assume the positions are Nation wide - In every Tax district esp as 6 weeks of interviewing!

I hope so because if I do get through I’m not in a position to move

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭SunshineKid

I wouldn't assume anything except that the majority of jobs will be Dublin and maybe a few of the larger offices in other cities around the country. Just because there is a Revenue office in your local home town, that does not mean there will be a vacancy there. Sorry to be a killjoy and I really hope that I am wrong but I speak from experience. I would be an EO in Revenue right now if I was willing to work in Dublin but it's not an option for me. Hell I'd be an AO if I was willing to go to Dublin. Your options are really limited when you can't work in the big smoke.

I wouldn't assume anything except that the majority of jobs will be Dublin and maybe a few of the larger offices in other cities around the country. Just because there is a Revenue office in your local home town, that does not mean there will be a vacancy there. Sorry to be a killjoy and I really hope that I am wrong but I speak from experience. I would be an EO in Revenue right now if I was willing to work in Dublin but it's not an option for me. Hell I'd be an AO if I was willing to go to Dublin. Your options are really limited when you can't work in the big smoke.

Thanks , just hope the best so .

When are you told where the vacancies are, do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

You don't. Individual vacancies that can be filled may or may not arise. The majority of EO recruitment in recent years has been in batches / groups at specific locations (Kilkenny, Navan, Dublin, Galway to name a few).

Along with that, in other tax districts, where management can make a successful business case (due to loss of staff through retirement, promotion, transfer etc) then they might get the odd EO.

This was in itself a departure from how recruitment would've been done previously so maybe they'll revert to individual recruitment, impossible to know.

You don't. Individual vacancies that can be filled may or may not arise. The majority of EO recruitment in recent years has been in batches / groups at specific locations (Kilkenny, Navan, Dublin, Galway to name a few).

Along with that, in other tax districts, where management can make a successful business case (due to loss of staff through retirement, promotion, transfer etc) then they might get the odd EO.

This was in itself a departure from how recruitment would've been done previously so maybe they'll revert to individual recruitment, impossible to know.

Thanks for that

As far as I know, you're not told anything until you get a phone call from Revenue offering you a vacancy in some location which you can accept or reject. It can be difficult to get information from them. Even the HR people don't know in advance where the vacancies are until they get a request in from a region looking for staff. The whole purpose of this competition is to create a panel from which they can pull staff if required.

Yes I agree :)
    Same here

As far as I know, you're not told anything until you get a phone call from Revenue offering you a vacancy in some location which you can accept or reject. It can be difficult to get information from them. Even the HR people don't know in advance where the vacancies are until they get a request in from a region looking for staff. The whole purpose of this competition is to create a panel from which they can pull staff if required.

Thanks so that start date of January 2018 was just to cover themselves in case a vacancy arises then . so the start date could be anytime within the year of expiration of the panel.

Thanks so that start date of January 2018 was just to cover themselves in case a vacancy arises then . so the start date could be anytime within the year of expiration of the panel.

So they could create a panel with 170 on it for example and maybe offer positions to the first 100 people on the panel. That first 100 will be starting in January 2018 but the remaining 70 could be offered positions at any time during the course of the year or the lifetime of the panel but no guarantee if you make the panel that you will get a job especially if you are near the bottom. It all depends on how many vacancies arise during the lifetime of the panel. But certainly there will be a good chunk that will start in January 2018.

So they could create a panel with 170 on it for example and maybe offer positions to the first 100 people on the panel. That first 100 will be starting in January 2018 but the remaining 70 could be offered positions at any time during the course of the year or the lifetime of the panel but no guarantee if you make the panel that you will get a job especially if you are near the bottom. It all depends on how many vacancies arise during the lifetime of the panel. But certainly there will be a good chunk that will start in January 2018.

The guy that did my interview told me they are expecting around 60 vacancies for Dublin if that's of any help to anyone

Thanks SunshineKid , sorry for all the questions

Thanks SunshineKid , sorry for all the questions

No problem, I hope that you get placed where you want to be. Not long left to wait now surely. Although I am about 99% sure that I didn't make the panel this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Densey12

Best of Luck to everybody!!
    I hope we do hear this week!!
    The wait is a killer!

No problem, I hope that you get placed where you want to be. Not long left to wait now surely. Although I am about 99% sure that I didn't make the panel this time around.

Thanks Best of luck to you

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Eoc2207kei

Thanks Best of luck to you

Afraid I rang there and "results will be out next week" was the answer I was given.

Eoc2207kei wrote: »
    Afraid I rang there and "results will be out next week" was the answer I was given.

The suspense is killing me! Every time I open my emails I have a mini heart attack. Another week of this so!

I've decided that if on the off chance i get offered a place, I'll turn it down. I don't think I want to work remotely and go to businesses alone auditing. I'd love the job if it was a desk based exercise in the office but the remote working and travelling for what really isn't a great salary isn't appealing. I am still very curious as to how I did though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Eoc2207kei

The suspense is killing me! Every time I open my emails I have a mini heart attack. Another week of this so!

I'm sorry I didn't have better news! I think we're all in that sinking boat of suspense! I suspect a lot met the qualifying standards so they have probably needed to do further screening.

• Advertisement

fg1406 wrote: »
    I've decided that if on the off chance i get offered a place, I'll turn it down. I don't think I want to work remotely and go to businesses alone auditing. I'd love the job if it was a desk based exercise in the office but the remote working and travelling for what really isn't a great salary isn't appealing. I am still very curious as to how I did though!
    I feel the same. I don't think I would like the travelling part either. I spent the last 2 years really wanting this job but my circumstances at home have changed and I need to give priority to my family now over anything else. I don't think that this is the job for me anymore so if I don't make the panel, I'm not going to care either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

I feel the same. I don't think I would like the travelling part either. I spent the last 2 years really wanting this job but my circumstances at home have changed and I need to give priority to my family now over anything else. I don't think that this is the job for me anymore so if I don't make the panel, I'm not going to care either way.

What's all this about travelling and remote working? Where's this coming from?

Eoc2207kei wrote: »

No way! I could cry

Barneystinson, I know it's not travelling as such but it is working on-site and I was led to believe that approximately 50% of the time would be spent on-site away from the desk??

I was told that this job entailed working off site going to business/farms etc doing audits. I was even specifically asked about it at interview.

• Advertisement
Advertisement