Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Train Simulator

Options
  • 05-06-2017 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Have tried to run a number of train simulators on my Sony Vaio laptop, such as Trainz and Train Simulator 2014. However I've encountered various problems, even with older versions like 2009 and I've just bought a copy of an old game called Microsoft Train Simulator which is from 2001. Surely software for Windows ME will work on a Windows 7 laptop, with compatibility view or is it that I'd need an external hard drive for all the information on the two disks? Has anyone else encountered problems with simulators on relatively new PCs/laptops, if so whats the deal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Your problem seems to be expecting old software to work on new devices. It can't always be taken for granted, that newer laptop is better, so it should run. There could be software dependencies that are obsolete now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭cml387

I run TS2016 no problem.
    MSTS is very old and probably won't work on a Win 10 installation.

What issues were you having with Train sim?

It does work on Windows 10 (I've used it myself) but you need to run it as an administrator because it attempts to write to the root directory. Also, Intel integrated video doesn't seem to work at all, you end up with garbled graphics. Nvidia seems to be the best for it.

I'd recommend installing the MSTSBin patch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

A year old thread I know, but just an FYI...

I have the old Ms Train simulator with the Ballyshannon route and old Irish (orange) diesel trains. Ms Train Sim is slow, buggy etc.

But someone has created an updated open source version called http://openrails.org/ that is supposed to improve upon it and still use your installed Ms Train sim content (routes, trains etc)

I only found this out in the last week.

Works okay on Windows 10 so far....

• Advertisement
Advertisement