Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OTTOLOCK. Get in......

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It looks nice and handy, but I wouldn't use this in Dublin. I have a u lock and a heavy wire lock. The wire lock is a pain in the ass to carry around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Been out of the loop for a while.
    Anyone know where they can be bought?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Planet X wrote: »
    Been out of the loop for a while.
    Anyone know where they can be bought?

https://ottodesignworks.com/shop/ottolock

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

......so, it's only from the company site then it seems?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Works-Ottolock-Combo-Black/dp/B072R7C4LN/ref=lp_13685543011_1_1?srs=13685543011&ie=UTF8&qid=1514979589&sr=8-1

Seems to have them as well. I like the idea of an easy lock as my main one is in work and i keep the bike locked up inside at home.... Would a Hiplock be as good? Although CRC only have the pink version.....

• Advertisement

Ive never even used mine yet, must start using it for coffee stops.

jamesd wrote: »
    Ive never even used mine yet, must start using it for coffee stops.

You happy with its build?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

check_six wrote: »
    Yep, 3 dials has so few combinations that you could try them all pretty quickly without any other equipment. You're talking probably 5 minutes at the outside.

10^3 combinations. Or, a thousand. You’d be doing well in five minutes...

endacl wrote: »

Really depends on the quality. I used to love messing about with combination locks. They're often remarkably easy to crack.

EDIT but yeah, brute forcing not so much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

3.333 combinations a second, very impressed.

In regards the lock though, I carry my orange Kryptonite hiplock around in my jersey pocket, fits in with minimal stretch and is not so heavy that you'd notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The Foldylock Compact is just under a kilo, is silver-rated and I guess would fit nicely in a jersey pocket. Maybe too heavy? Bit pricey too.

You happy with its build?

Seems Ok, would like to use it a few times to see how it holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Really depends on the quality. I used to love messing about with combination locks. They're often remarkably easy to crack.

EDIT but yeah, brute forcing not so much.

I was basing my estimate from practical experience of having to unlock a 4 digit combination lock that had been reset by mistake in work. Think the lock was set in the region of 8--- and it didn't take too long to spin through all the combos to get there (10-15 minutes). I was surprised myself to be honest!
    Now, if there is a button to be pressed after each combination to check if it works rather than the lock just popping open then it's going to take a lot longer. (Maybe you could just hold the button down?).

On the subject of quick-stop locks, Hiplok are bringing out a combination-lock version of their Z lok:
    Hiplok-Z-Lok-Combo_combination-zip-tie-cafe-security_rendering-yellow-1068x668.jpg
    https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/09/15/eb17-hiplok-z-lok-combo-dials-cafe-stop-steel-reinforced-zip-tie-security/

(Probably old news; I just saw it.)

Already on the market, I think:
    https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ie/hiplok-z-lok-combo-EV338781

I'm always behind the curve.

Advertisement