Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garmin 800 stuck

Options
  • 05-06-2017 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

After spin garmin got stuck on main screen won't even power off just keeps going back to garmins main screen anyone know how to fix this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Keep the power button for really long, like 30s, may reboot.

Otherwise you may need to wait for the battery to die, then hook it up to USB and power it up again, removing the SD card first - it may be caused by a dodgy map.

Should it not help, try the hard reset - but your last ride and settings will be lost.

1. Power device off.
    2. Press and hold Lap/Reset and Start/Stop.
    3. Power device on while still holding both buttons.
    4. Continue holding buttons when the Garmin "splash" screen appears.
    5. Release buttons when Garmin "splash" screen disappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Looks like I will have to wait till battery dies to see if that helps seems to be stuck on loading maps just keeps displaying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Looks like I will have to wait till battery dies to see if that helps seems to be stuck on loading maps just keeps displaying

Have you ever hooked it to a PC and gone into Activities and deleted old rides? It might be "full". I've seen that crash a few Garmins.

Have you ever hooked it to a PC and gone into Activities and deleted old rides? It might be "full". I've seen that crash a few Garmins.

Most of them was deleted before spin now when hooked to Pc the Pc can't find the garmin looks like I be buying a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

If its stuck loading maps you should be able to turn it off by pressing off button for a long time. Then remove the Sd card, back it up, format on the computer, stick back in the Edge and reboot.

If its OK, turn off, upload maps to the card ( possibly re-download them from the web first) and power up again
    If the maps are not damaged, should be fine now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

I've had problems with my 500 unit, and a workmate had problems with his 800 unit.  We tried all the usual resets, but to no avail.  Only way was to hook it up to a PC and format it (as a USB device).  Just 'deselect' the 'quick format' option.  Worked a treat on both units.

youtheman wrote:
    I've had problems with my 500 unit, and a workmate had problems with his 800 unit. We tried all the usual resets, but to no avail. Only way was to hook it up to a PC and format it (as a USB device). Just 'deselect' the 'quick format' option. Worked a treat on both units.

Mine is not showing up on the Pc when I it hook up. I gave the factory reset a go but only part of the garmin is working now

youtheman wrote:
    I've had problems with my 500 unit, and a workmate had problems with his 800 unit. We tried all the usual resets, but to no avail. Only way was to hook it up to a PC and format it (as a USB device). Just 'deselect' the 'quick format' option. Worked a treat on both units.

Mine is not showing up on the Pc when I it hook up.  I gave the factory reset a go but only part of the garmin is working now
    I gave it to our IT guru in work and he sorted it out for me.  He Goggled it and it said that you have to hold down the 'Menu' button while you plug it in so that it recognises it (I think it's referred to as 'Putting in into USM mode').

Not very good with computers and not having any joy with it anyone know of a place in Dublin that would know about garmins that I could drop it into?

• Advertisement

Not very good with computers and not having any joy with it anyone know of a place in Dublin that would know about garmins that I could drop it into?

Where in Dublin are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

If all solutions fail you can contact Garmin. They will sell you a revamped one for approx 70? (they will need your old one) which is a cheaper option than a new one.

Where in Dublin are you?

Cabra

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭JiffyJ

Some Garmins can be funny about what cable you use to connect it to the computer - make sure you are using the Garmin supplied cable, hopefully that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

JiffyJ wrote: »
    Some Garmins can be funny about what cable you use to connect it to the computer - make sure you are using the Garmin supplied cable, hopefully that works.

that happened to me recently, had been using a Belikn USB cable which had always worked fine up to that point. went back to the Garmin cable, worked fine again. the Belkin cable still works fine on other devices...

JiffyJ wrote: »
    that happened to me recently, had been using a Belikn USB cable which had always worked fine up to that point. went back to the Garmin cable, worked fine again. the Belkin cable still works fine on other devices...

I came back to suggest something similar.

OP, try a different USB port to see if that makes any difference. Then failing that, try a different USB cable. I've seen Garmin edges bizarrely respond to both.

You're to far north side for me to try fix the unit myself, sorry!

Advertisement