Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadside, Alps, Watching the Tour de France tips?

Options
  • 05-06-2017 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭

Apart from - buy a camper and don't make a tit of yourself running alongside the leaders...

We're gonna be nestled among the Alps for July with our kids and our bikes, very near St Jeans de Maurienne and I see that stage 17 I think is goin over the Croix du Fer and then down through St Jeans itself. -We'd love to go see it, and preferably on an incline so the Croix du Fer seems like a great option.

So - I'd love some helpful advice from people who've done it before. -Simple logistical stuff. Like when do you have to be in place before they start closing roads and restricting access? Should we go on bikes or in the car? I'm mindful that it's a long day probably and exposed to elements be they sun or rain or heat or cold and without a camper to retreat to or store food and water in, it could be a mare for the kids. St Jean itself is bound to be buzzing but watching them zoom through on the flat isn't going to be the same as watching em climb..

Anyway, like I said, I'd love to head from someone who's done it, and any do's and don'ts they may have.

The following day is an option too - catch the race start in Briancon and then head up the Col D'Izoard for the finish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Have cycled the Croix du Fer, it'd be a long cycle for the kids. You might have a better chance on the Izoard if you can drive some of the ways up from Briancon.
    We were on the Hautacam in 2014, cycled up it early enough and brought a picnic. They close the roads to traffic very early, we nearly got stuck up by the barriers at the top. If you went with the car you'd need to be there very early on the day. They're quite strict on the edge of the vehicle being parked inside the lines so it really depends on how busy it is and how much parking there is.
    The race start is good too, bit of atmosphere and you might even sneak inside the barriers and get close to some of the teams. On the climbs is really the place to see the racing as they're so fast on the flat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I've seen the Tour several times, never I. The Alps though. Some stuff that holds true is that the road closures are early sometimes from the day before or from 6am on the morning.

Last year we were in Avranches and a few days before we went to the town a new the local tourist information office was really helpful, they gave us a map for parking, told us all the road closures and told us the best route in and out afterwards. If I remember the official tour website had some information about road closures.

France 2 were doing live streaming on their website so we could watch them coming into town before they arrived at our spot. It'll soak up at least half of your day and I'd plan accordingly.

Advertisement