Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youthreach resource... State exam reader pay?

Options
  • 05-06-2017 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

was wondering if any resource ( teachers) in Youthreach are doing reader in the upcoming exams and if so are they getting paid?

I've had the misfortune to take a teaching job in Youthreach, teaching 19 hours a week of leaving cert subjects to find out that I'm resource staff and I'm taking home €890 every two weeks. I'm not a nqt teacher and was teaching pre 2011. Went Woking in industry for years and returned teaching in 2015 .
    I covered 2 mat leaves where I was paid pre 2011 rates and then in January this year took what I thought was a teaching job.... Anyway rant over... I assumed I would be getting paid as a reader for leaving cert but it looks like " it's part of my job"
    Anyone in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Open to correction on this but I thought only SNA 's had part of their contract overrun into exam time and teachers were free from end of term end of, although I always thought technically etb staff have something about being available in June in their contracts. If you were teaching I dint see how you are part of resource unless I'm misunderstanding your op

• Registered Users Posts: 10 round baler

i though it was a teaching job too!!! Some Youthreach centres teach mainstream subjects to leaving and junior cert. So despite the fact I'm teaching leaving certs 19 hours a week I have to work a 37 hour week mainly doing bullsh1t admin... ( admin for the sake of administration ) and have to work till mid July... So I was wondering if I would get paid by state examination for doing reader on top of my colossal €15 an hour ( was on €48/hour covering mat leaves)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Are you contracted to mid July? Looks like you'll be stuck doing reader for your wages. What does your contract say? Normally teachers would get paid for reader because their teaching term is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Doesn't sound like it so :-(
    Surely this was mentioned at the time of taking up the post though? What will you be doing till mid July? Most exams finish within two weeks tops of the start date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

SNAs are contracted til the end of June but they are paid for reading/scribing - albeit at a lower rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 mrchuffy

You should be paid for reading by State Exam Commission. Technically you would have been released from your post for purpose of examination. Is centre coordinator or exam coordinator in centre not overseeing this piece of admin?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 round baler

Ive done 7 periods as reader and am chasing up the pay as we speak!!

Am i correct this should be 7x60 E420 gross?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mrchuffy

Ive done 7 periods as reader and am chasing up the pay as we speak!!

Am i correct this should be 7x60 E420 gross?

Yes, gross being operative word.
    You're essentially being released to do state exam work. Not part of resource duties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Reader /scribes get 56euro per exam session(length of my exam), is that what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 19eighty4

i though it was a teaching job too!!! Some Youthreach centres teach mainstream subjects to leaving and junior cert. So despite the fact I'm teaching leaving certs 19 hours a week I have to work a 37 hour week mainly doing bullsh1t admin... ( admin for the sake of administration ) and have to work till mid July... So I was wondering if I would get paid by state examination for doing reader on top of my colossal €15 an hour ( was on €48/hour covering mat leaves)

Lots of people do, sometimes I think the positions at advertising are worded to appear as mainstream. its only when your in the door, you realise that your doing a lot more which falls a lot shorter of the demand for equal pay for equal work...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 19eighty4

SNAs are contracted til the end of June but they are paid for reading/scribing - albeit at a lower rate.

this is true - I received a payment for this along time ago (over ten years ago at this stage - it may be different now) when I worked as an SNA. At the time, i was told that i had to be present for 20 days after the school closed - these days could be utilised in June/mid-August.

Advertisement