Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New lawn, what next?

Options
  • 05-06-2017 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Ok so just got my lawn full dug up and reseeded. I am just wondering should I do something additional to the lawn or just sit and wait for grass to grow?

Really I am wondering if I put something on it will it help it grow better?

My sons birthday is on in about 4 weeks, I am just wondering is that too early to have a large number of kids on the lawn?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Ok so just got my lawn full dug up and reseeded. I am just wondering should I do something additional to the lawn or just sit and wait for grass to grow?

Really I am wondering if I put something on it will it help it grow better?

My sons birthday is on in about 4 weeks, I am just wondering is that too early to have a large number of kids on the lawn?

Did you put fertiliser on it? If not a product called 10 10 20 would be good for reseeded grass for root development and growth. Conditions are perfect for grass at the moment so it should come ok you'll just have to judge at the time of the ground is ok for kids to be running on without doing too much damage, a small bit would be easily rectified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Mooooo wrote: »
    Did you put fertiliser on it? If not a product called 10 10 20 would be good for reseeded grass for root development and growth. Conditions are perfect for grass at the moment so it should come ok you'll just have to judge at the time of the ground is ok for kids to be running on without doing too much damage, a small bit would be easily rectified

Husband says he heard of 10 10 20 but thought it was used for agriculture and not standard garden

Husband says he heard of 10 10 20 but thought it was used for agriculture and not standard garden

It is used in agriculture, but it can be used on lawns as well, grass starting out needs a bit of feeding along with regular cutting to take hold. It is regularly used when reseeding grass fields. The numbers 10.10.20 represent the units of N(nitrogen) P(phosphorus) and K (potassium) in that order. Nitrogen help growth with phosphorus and potassium important for root development. A 50 kg bag is likely cheaper than a specific gardening fertiliser a quarter the size and once it's kept in a dry spot in the shed the bag will last fine

It is used in agriculture, but it can be used on lawns as well, grass starting out needs a bit of feeding along with regular cutting to take hold. It is regularly used when reseeding grass fields. The numbers 10.10.20 represent the units of N(nitrogen) P(phosphorus) and K (potassium) in that order. Nitrogen help growth with phosphorus and potassium important for root development. A 50 kg bag is likely cheaper than a specific gardening fertiliser a quarter the size and once it's kept in a dry spot in the shed the bag will last fine

Got a 50kg bag today in local supplier. 25 euro, no idea if cheap or not.

Spread it around on the lawn so that will give it a bit of a hand

Thank you for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Got a 50kg bag today in local supplier. 25 euro, no idea if cheap or not.

Spread it around on the lawn so that will give it a bit of a hand

Thank you for advice

How much did you spread and how big is the lawn ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

I would imagine the lawn is too young to feed yet. It would need a year at least to establish before fertilising but I'm no garden expert. Be careful in case you ruin the lawn

Pious14 wrote: »
    I would imagine the lawn is too young to feed yet. It would need a year at least to establish before fertilising but I'm no garden expert. Be careful in case you ruin the lawn

Commercial reseeding always gets 10:10:20 at time of sowing, seed will strike fast now and having feet available helps get grass established ahead of weeds.
    Biggest mistake in Irish lawns is lack of feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

_Brian wrote: »
    Commercial reseeding always gets 10:10:20 at time of sowing, seed will strike fast now and having feet available helps get grass established ahead of weeds.
    Biggest mistake in Irish lawns is lack of feeding.

Cool wasn't aware you could do that with a new lawn. My lawn is definitely in need of a feed.

How much did you spread and how big is the lawn ??

Spread about half the bag, probably way too much but I just sprinkled around with my hand. The garden is circa an acre

The garden has a nice showing of green shoots in sections. I guess it is helping it. How long does anyone know before it would be safe to let the kids on it? having the in the house is driving me nuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would not let them on it till after the first cut at the earliest.

looksee wrote: »
    I would not let them on it till after the first cut at the earliest.

I only have a tractor mower, will it be ok to use that for first cut once I wait for it to be dry? or should I get push ?

Once it's dry the tractor mower will be fine, a test we use before letting cattle on to graze fresh reseed would be to pull a few leaves and once the root doesn't come up you could work away and cut it. On the fert you didn't put out too much, on grass fields which have been reseeded there would be 3 of those edit 50kg bags per acre put out at setting, you could put out the rest of the bag when it's up and after cutting if you wish,

Once it's dry the tractor mower will be fine, a test we use before letting cattle on to graze fresh reseed would be to pull a few leaves and once the root doesn't come up you could work away and cut it. On the fert you didn't put out too much, on grass fields which have been reseeded there would be 3 of those edit 50kg bags per acre put out at setting, you could put out the rest of the bag when it's up and after cutting if you wish,

Thanks, I will wait another few days and maybe fire out the rest of it....

Spread about half the bag, probably way too much but I just sprinkled around with my hand. The garden is circa an acre

That's fine, you could do that every 4-6 weeks during growing season.
    I would spread my own at twice that rate and it's very manageable.

Don't spread that after mid August to avoid growing a mop of grass over the winter season. There are Autum feeds for lawns, 0 nitrogen, just P and K, 0-7-30 or 0-10-20, helps strengthen roots and fight moss.

That's fine, you could do that every 4-6 weeks during growing season.
    I would spread my own at twice that rate and it's very manageable.

Don't spread that after mid August to avoid growing a mop of grass over the winter season. There are Autum feeds for lawns, 0 nitrogen, just P and K, 0-7-30 or 0-10-20, helps strengthen roots and fight moss.

Lots of green shoots but nothing major, I know we are getting very warm weather soon(well hopefully). Should I look at watering if very warm?

Shouldn't need to, plenty moisture, in recent weather. I'm afraid it's the old a watched kettle never boils, it's only in a week or so yes? Time is all it needs now, 2 months time you'll be hoping it would slow up ha

Just checking does this look right? it is all strips in garden with grass in section and then others with just dirt still.

In some of the lines you can see really really small buds....It will be 2 weeks on Saturday since reseeding.

I know I am a bit crazy but just concerned there is no grass seed in sections and I will be sitting here in a few weeks no further on

The landscaper used a little stand on machine that flew around to put on grass seeds, it was like 2 barrels with pins coming out of them

Have to say he made a bad enough job of spreading the seed, its "likely" that it will even out over the next two weeks but it was put on very uneven.

I can understand why you might be a bit worried, I'd be getting tempted to call him back and seed the bare patches again.

The big risk with bare patches is they are leaving the ground open for weed growth.

Agree with Brian, if bare patch was in one spot you may say could be differences in soil but looking at that I'd wonder how well it's put out, the idea of any machine to do it would be an even cover

• Advertisement

Have to say he made a bad enough job of spreading the seed, its "likely" that it will even out over the next two weeks but it was put on very uneven.

I can understand why you might be a bit worried, I'd be getting tempted to call him back and seed the bare patches again.

The big risk with bare patches is they are leaving the ground open for weed growth.

Called him earlier today just after I posted as I was concerned. He said it was just some of the grass growing quicker and it would fill in, if patch's then he will seed again in 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Called him earlier today just after I posted as I was concerned. He said it was just some of the grass growing quicker and it would fill in, if patch's then he will seed again in 3 weeks

I'd be slow to accept that, think you should ask him to visit now. That's not patchy, there was something wrong with the spreading.

Hard to tell from photo but is one side very even and one side very uneven ??

Possible the spreader got blocked or something.

You'll know yourself, get down and examine the bare patches, is the grass coming on there at all ??

Hard to tell from photo but is one side very even and one side very uneven ??

Possible the spreader got blocked or something.

You'll know yourself, get down and examine the bare patches, is the grass coming on there at all ??

Its stripes. so one stripe grass and then the next clay. So we have stripes of grass and then clay. Same on front and back. Looks like grass seed on one stripe and next missed

If you get what I mean. The issue is it is the same around the whole garden. Front and back. Would you normally seed this way? I would have expected patch's but not clear stripes of grass and no grass

Bit of disaster, I talked to landscaper earlier.

After I left message this morning he had a look at machine, looks like one side was not releasing grass seed. That is why the lines are in the ground.

Not sure how the guy who was using it never noticed that but anyway.

Means I have missed 2 weeks of growing....now how do I manage different growths?

Different growth will average out with time.
    Get him to seed the bare ground as soon as he can, water it and it will strike.

Few weeks you can mow it and it will soon blend in.

Different growth will average out with time.
    Get him to seed the bare ground as soon as he can, water it and it will strike.

Few weeks you can mow it and it will soon blend in.

Reseeded yesterday, which was great. Really wasn't guys fault and I should have noticed before

Anyway, no harm to everyone but I am hoping for a good 2-3 days of down pour to water it in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Reseeded yesterday, which was great. Really wasn't guys fault and I should have noticed before

Anyway, no harm to everyone but I am hoping for a good 2-3 days of down pour to water it in :D

Who do you hold responsible ? How wasn't it the guys fault who seeded it ? :confused:

Ok so grass is growing. I talked to 2 different people both gave advice.

First said collect grass and do not mulch.

Second said mulch and it will help the grass grow

What is recommendation?

• Advertisement

Ok so grass is growing. I talked to 2 different people both gave advice.

First said collect grass and do not mulch.

Second said mulch and it will help the grass grow

What is recommendation?

I would collect the first few times and cut low, this will help the grass tiller and collecting the cuttings allows light down to all the plant, mulch towards the end of the year just don't leave it go very long when mulching
    Are there weeds showing? If so and if they are big enough to spray now is the best time to spray them, but you would want to leave a week between spraying and cutting to allow the weeds time to take in the spray and kill the root

Advertisement