Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New lawn, what next?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Mooooo wrote: »
    I would collect the first few times and cut low, this will help the grass tiller and collecting the cuttings allows light down to all the plant, mulch towards the end of the year just don't leave it go very long when mulching
    Are there weeds showing? If so and if they are big enough to spray now is the best time to spray them, but you would want to leave a week between spraying and cutting to allow the weeds time to take in the spray and kill the root

I seen a few popping up. I had some Salt/vinger mix left over so gave them a quick squirt. I didn't want to use Roundup yet

Probably another question, there is a good few small stones etc on garden. I have collected as much as possible but still a few left. Don't want to ruin lawnmower so would I be better renting one out for first few cuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Don't use roundup, use a selective herbicide that won't kill grass such as grazon pro. On the stones if they are pick I'm afraid picking them up is the only way to get rid of them job for the kids! If they are only small stones I wouldn't worry about them,

The following is coming up in one section, you can see the now famous line of grass, then clay and then grass but this weed seems to be coming up between grass.

Should I cover with grazon?

Ok, last question on this, its 2 week today since the reseed was done, not a huge sign of grass yet. It didn't really rain that much till 2-3 days ago when we got a good couple of down pours.

The section that had been seeded originally are flying but would the new sections not grow without much rain? Or should I be worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Ok, last question on this, its 2 week today since the reseed was done, not a huge sign of grass yet. It didn't really rain that much till 2-3 days ago when we got a good couple of down pours.

The section that had been seeded originally are flying but would the new sections not grow without much rain? Or should I be worried?

Give it time I'd say, you probably won't really see it thrive and green up properly til September. If you have a hose or watering can, I'd keep wetting ground because from the photo, ground is cracking and drying out. Expect plenty of weeds at the start but keep cutting and eventually, many of them will die off

• Advertisement

It will come fine, conditions have been drier and a bit colder since the new bit went in so the strike may not be as fast. did you spray the weeds on the bare patch?

It will come fine, conditions have been drier and a bit colder since the new bit went in so the strike may not be as fast. did you spray the weeds on the bare patch?

Thanks,a few wee shoots today

Havent sprayed yet as I don't want to affect the grass growth, should I spray? there is a lot of weeds in sections with little grass!!!

Thanks,a few wee shoots today

Havent sprayed yet as I don't want to affect the grass growth, should I spray? there is a lot of weeds in sections with little grass!!!

Follow the instructions on the spray container, it may be no harm to do them as they will block light getting down to new grass, dont go very heavy as the spray may check the grass

Follow the instructions on the spray container, it may be no harm to do them as they will block light getting down to new grass, dont go very heavy as the spray may check the grass

Thanks, I have party at weekend so going to leave it for the min....

I was about to buy Grazon Pro but it says don't use on grass is less than a year old....will it be ok?

Perhaps ask in the garden centre or coop, the sprays other than that which I'm familiar with tend to come in bigger containers such for farming and faster growing grass

• Advertisement

Ok, so about nearly 8 weeks on. I have some lovely sections of grass but then section which are just pure weeds and some grass coming up between them

I was getting the hubbie to cut and the first few times he collected but it would nearly fill up the bins. So last 2 times he has mulched.

Someone said he should collect till I get rid of weeds or it might help them grow? Is this correct?

He is running the mower over it twice a week at the moment, at setting 1 on mower. Should he let it grow a bit or keep it low?

Keep it low., I would collect all the time to allow as much light as possible down to the base. How strong are the weeds? They will most likely have to be sprayed as only a few types of weeds can be gotten rid of with persistent cutting. Of chance the grazon spray it's the best one for weeds. Leave them grow a bit spray them then don't cut for a week to 10 days to allow the spray to get down to the root

Advertisement