Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caravan or mobile home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

They're big mobile homes. Completely different to a caravan you'd be towing around for a weekend trip.
    With a mobile home you'll need to find a site to put it on. Itll need to be plumbed and connected to the electricity supply. Expect to pay approx. €2k per year plus your electric bills to have it on a site. Most sites close from the end of summer to st. Patricks day.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

Im try to weigh up the pros and cons ..of either getting a mobile home or caravan ..with the mobile home it seems like less hassle if u just leave it there.
    But then again id like to be able to get a weekend away during the winter months as well ..there are some lovely caravans for the price of a mobile home

Do you have young kids? If so a mobile home is good for building friendships and for long summer holiday stays.
    If it's just yourself or you + 1, I say a caravan or motorhome would be better.

I have one kid that stays with me every second weekend ..so im thinking a lot of the time it may be just me.and him ..then sometimes me and the missus if i could get her to stay in it ..id like the idea of getting away myself as well ....

Tricky decision. I'd go for a motor home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

A decent quality tent would be easier, more fun and cheaper.
    Plus no parking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

A decent quality tent would be easier, more fun and cheaper. Plus no parking

Yep. A tent with a shower, toilets, cooker and a fridge..

A decent quality tent would be easier, more fun and cheaper.
    Plus no parking

If the missus isn't even keen to stay in a caravan, what hope has he with a tent!

I showed her some nice caravans and she started to warm to the idea ..sorry but there is no hope with a tent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

It's very hard to find a mobile home site that have space available and will allow you to supply your own mobile home. Most of the bigger places will only allow you buy from them and will want it replaced regularly. Also, some have been known to close leaving people with nowhere to go. On the other hand if you can find a good site it is great to have a place to go for the weekend with everything setup.
    A caravan needs a bit more organisation when you want to go away although you could always get a seasonal pitch and leave it there from Easter to October. Don't forget you will need a car capable of towing a caravan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Why not hire one of each over the summer and then see what you like. It may not be the best time to buy as the summer is kicking off, you could wait until later? Both have pros and cons. I have a caravan and so far the flexibility is great, if you do find somewhere you really like you can always look for a seasonal pitch and leave it at the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Thinking of buying a caravan this summer myself, I know they're cheaper in winter but anyway..

I need a 3 berth, but I notice they are fairly small. Is there any 3 berths that are as big as a 6 Berth? 1 double bed is all I need, child will sleep on sofa, I just want a spacious kitchen area and shower. Would I have to buy a 6 Berth and do a bit of DIY on it?

Sorry if this makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

I would suggest that you take a trip to a dealer (have a google) and see what they have, what brands you like, what you do not like, layouts, colours and all that. They may or may not have stuff in your price range but it will give you a better idea. Jump on the beds, sit on the jacks all that stuff. Imagine yourselves in there and then draw up your wish list of features and the layout, so when you so see something online you will be ready to act. It can be very hard to tell from just the photos online.

Best of luck

PS I found this book very helpful https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teach-Yourself-Make-Most-Caravan/dp/1473600006/ref=dp_ob_image_bk

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Thinking of buying a caravan this summer myself, I know they're cheaper in winter but anyway..

I need a 3 berth, but I notice they are fairly small. Is there any 3 berths that are as big as a 6 Berth? 1 double bed is all I need, child will sleep on sofa, I just want a spacious kitchen area and shower. Would I have to buy a 6 Berth and do a bit of DIY on it?

Sorry if this makes no sense.
    Sleeping arrangement is only 1/4 or 1/3 of your time in the van.
    Look for min 4 berth for comfort.
    Kid will need their own area at some stage so arrangements with 2 living areas may suit. Although kid will sleep on sofa, where will you watch telly or sit up when kid is asleep ?
    I suggest visiting 3 quality NI dealers in 1 day, Newry Caravans, Downshire Caravans and Tricam, all within 30 mins of each other. This gives a great idea of layouts and standards. Prices are pretty high there though so you may end up not buying from them but it is a great education. Well worth a day out even if you have to travel a couple of hours. They have an unrivalled variety of vans and no hard sell. Then if you wish to buy in the South head to someone like Newbridge Caravans and at least you won't be coming to vans "fresh". Haggling is the name of the game once you know what you want. Better to pay a little bit extra now and have the season use of it than buy in Oct and leave it sitting over winter with no usage. It's a great life caravanning..

Advertisement