Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance are threatening to cancel my policy

• 05-06-2017 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi, I need help.

My car insurance company transferred my insurance to a rental car without my consent, I only found out when the request for payment came through.

I refused to pay the massive transfer fee and have now been told that they've issued cancellation of my policy within 10 days.

What can I do to fight this? any consumer agency/regulator that can arbitrate swiftly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

Think we need a bit more info. Did you rent a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭tandcapply

Sixtoes wrote: »
    Think we need a bit more info. Did you rent a car?

Yes, I did, that car came with basic insurance so they recommended transferring own own car insurance to it, we rang and asked for info, was told it's x Euro and we send, thanks for the info have a nice day.

Next thing we're told we owe for transferring the insurance over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How much is the massive transfer fee?

Did you ask for a recording of the call?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like an order was processed after only an enquiry. Standard procedure here is to have the provider review the call recording and confirm you never said you wanted to go ahead.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How much is the massive transfer fee?

Did you ask for a recording of the call?

Circa 60 Euro a few days transfer to rental (Car insurer only do weeks I've been told)
    Recording is extra 6 Euro.

• Advertisement

Pay it and ask for the recording. You don't want them cancelling your policy, even if you're 1000% right it will put you in a very bad position with other potential insurers.

i would also do a data protection request as this is a huge time-sink for them.

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Accessing-Your-Personal-Information/r/14.htm

Pay it and ask for the recording. You don't want them cancelling your policy, even if you're 1000% right it will put you in a very bad position with other potential insurers.

Thanks, it's hard for me to let them win, bullying should not be tolerated.

Yes, but if they cancel your policy, you're in the Shiite. No insurer will touch you if you've had a policy cancelled.

Ask for the recording of the call, or any other proof that you requested the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

It sounds like an error. Pay the €60 and the €6 for the recording. Once it has been clarified that it was only a request for information on your part and not an instruction to transfer the insurance I am sure you will be refunded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

It sounds like an error. Pay the €60 and the €6 for the recording. Once it has been clarified that it was only a request for information on your part and not an instruction to transfer the insurance I am sure you will be refunded.

Just pay the €60 and then make a complaint in writing, they'll then investigate and reply to you in writing.

No need to pay for the recording unless the written complaint is not dealt with to your satisfaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

If you elect to pay the €60 do so on the basis that you are paying it without prejudice to your right to dispute the issue of responsibility to pay it. Otherwise, you might find yourself effectively estopped from seeking repayment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Do those data protection requests turn up anything interesting besides name/address/phone number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Hello... the €6 fee is only for transcript of call

The supervisor in the phone team can listen to call and they must disclose the discussion made on the call

Failure for them to disclose error made by the clerk on phone will have compliance issues with the regulator but 70% of calls I've reviewed it's actually the customer that wrong ... they can't lie for risk of scripts paid for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Thus far I've needed to asked for a call recording to confirm some billing problem about 6 times. Everytime I was right. It keep arising with the same companies too.

Do those data protection requests turn up anything interesting besides name/address/phone number?

Not usually, but companies hate doing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Not usually, but companies hate doing them.

Any risk of being added to an internal company 'Prick list' by sending one in and being subjected to a 'Prick loading' on future quotes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

tandcapply wrote:
    Yes, I did, that car came with basic insurance so they recommended transferring own own car insurance to it, we rang and asked for info, was told it's x Euro and we send, thanks for the info have a nice day.

You were given a quote for the transfer and said you would send it. Also, where did they get the reg number?

Advertisement