Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Maths Provision

Options
  • 05-06-2017 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭

What is the provision for LC Maths like in your school? As in how many class periods (and of what duration) per week? Is there anything extra for HL, and if so how is that timetabled?

We currently have 5x40 periods for 5th and 6th. Same for FL, OL and HL. This seems to be the norm in other local schools. Some of the teachers want to increase it to 6x40 and have a double class as they say this is the norm in lots of schools. The principal is open to suggestions if it could be shown to work but nobody has put forward anything viable as yet. I'd love the extra time for OL and HL (not so sure of FL!) but, to be fair, what we have covers the recommended 180 hours same as other subjects. I don't see how it could fit.

What happens in your school?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

I'm not a maths teacher, but each level has 6 periods of maths in 5th and 6th in my school.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

We have 6 40 minute periods in 5th Year and 5 in 6th Year. We did have six and six previously but following a change to our timetable last year we lost one. I thought I'd miss having the double this year but I still had the Higher Level course completed with time for revision.

The English dept has the flip of it, so they only get 5 in 5th Year but then they get 6 in 6th Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭doc_17

We used to have six and six but now it's five and five. I never get the course finished before the mocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Finishing the course is a serious issue at both HL and OL in my school. All teachers would have to offer extra classes. Finishing by the mocks is a pipe dream I'm afraid! That sort of pace would just leave no HL and most of the OL students dropping to FL.

I don't know how other schools fit in extra periods. We have 42 periods so with 7 subjects at 5 periods each, Religion at 3, PE at 2 and LCVP at 2 there isn't much room for manoeuvre.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Maths gets 5 periods in 5th year and 6 in 6th year in my school. I think religion might be only 2 class periods in LC, as we also run on a 42 class period timetable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bean Scoile

6 classes of 40 minutes here. Same for English. All other subjects get 5. Because the pass is more crucial in those two, they were seen as more deserving of 6.

Honours maths students appear to be taken out of religion for a period or two a week, but I'm not sure how formal that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

3 religion classes? Wow! Only 1 in our place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

We have 6 x 40 minute classes of maths per week in 5th and 6th year.
    Religion classes stop at TY so that frees up a few classes.

3 religion classes? Wow! Only 1 in our place.

It depends on the deeds of trust in the school. In many schools it is agreed that all students will get at least 2 hours of religious instruction per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

What about Junior Cycle?

In my school the Maths, English and Irish department are losing one period over the 3 year cycle, down to 14. We have yet to find out which year will lose what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Jane98 wrote: »
    What about Junior Cycle?

In my school the Maths, English and Irish department are losing one period over the 3 year cycle, down to 14. We have yet to find out which year will lose what?

With 15 id say you're spoiled. Most schools would be 4,4,4 if all 40 mins.

Are you talking about going from 15 x 35 to 14 x40?

We are sticking to 5, 5, 5 for maths and English, as far as I know for junior cycle. Option subjects are losing a period a week to cover the 3 periods a week we will be losing.

We are sticking to 5, 5, 5 for maths and English, as far as I know for junior cycle. Option subjects are losing a period a week to cover the 3 periods a week we will be losing.

Are you talking about 35 or 40 min classes?

We're sticking with 5x40 for English and Maths at JC. Irish 4, Wellbeing 5, Religion 3, Science 4, History 4, Geography 4 and two options 4 each. The loss is for Science and Options. History and Geography are being increased.

Interesting to see so many schools have 6 periods for LC Maths. It seems it's Religion that makes the difference. No hope of any decrease there. I just found out two nearby religious schools have 7 periods! No PE there though - but that's definitely not a runner either.

Are you talking about 35 or 40 min classes?

All school will have 40 minutes minimum from September.

All school will have 40 minutes minimum from September.

Thanks, I was wondering were you going from 5x35 to 5 x 40

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

We're sticking with 5x40 for English and Maths at JC. Irish 4, Wellbeing 5, Religion 3, Science 4, History 4, Geography 4 and two options 4 each. The loss is for Science and Options. History and Geography are being increased.

Interesting to see so many schools have 6 periods for LC Maths. It seems it's Religion that makes the difference. No hope of any decrease there. I just found out two nearby religious schools have 7 periods! No PE there though - but that's definitely not a runner either.

no PE? Thats amazing in this day and age, with wellbeing and the like. Why no PE?

TheDriver wrote: »
    no PE? Thats amazing in this day and age, with wellbeing and the like. Why no PE?

No PE at senior cycle I mean. It definitely wouldn't work in my school. Apparently they don't feel there's any demand for it, most won't do it anyway and maths is just a priority. While there are serious issues with lack of participation in my own school, I just couldn't imagine it being dropped completely. I don't think that's right at all.

In my day it was honours maths or PE for seniors. But that's a long time ago and I'm surprised to see schools without PE for everyone nowadays.

No PE at senior cycle I mean. It definitely wouldn't work in my school. Apparently they don't feel there's any demand for it, most won't do it anyway and maths is just a priority. While there are serious issues with lack of participation in my own school, I just couldn't imagine it being dropped completely. I don't think that's right at all.

In my day it was honours maths or PE for seniors. But that's a long time ago and I'm surprised to see schools without PE for everyone nowadays.

There's no demand for homework either, maybe we should stop giving that too! Very unusual.

Thanks, I was wondering were you going from 5x35 to 5 x 40

We had a mix of 35 and 40s this year, so it may or may not be an increase in time depending on time tabling.

In our school seniors have a choice between study and pe. They have to make a decision at the start of the year and are expected to stick to it. A lot of them, including the very sporty ones, opt for study. If they have a match or training on the same day as pe their coaches discourage them from doing pe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement