Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Fire in passive house

Options
  • 05-06-2017 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all,

We're currently doing up plans for a new build and are looking to go as near passive as possible. As such we don't feel a stove will be needed for heating purposes but do love the look of a fire. Just wondering re an electric fire if this would be the most economical option to get the fire effect? I've been told for a closed system stove we'd be looking at up to €5k after all the venting etc was done which is excessive for what we're looking for it for.

I'm completely clueless about electric fires so have a few questions. Do they require any venting? Are there models which do not give out heat but which only have the flame effect? What kind of price range would you be looking at for a contemporary looking rectangular glass electric fire inset in the wall?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There is an optimist that Dimplex do that's very realistic. Reliability on them seems to be patchy, but there may be a better alternative using similar technology.

I'd say, most if not all can have the flame effect on with heat off.

Advertisement