Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training for my first triathlon

Options
  • 05-06-2017 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I am going to take the plunge and do my first triathlon this year. I have been talking about doing one for long enough now. I have tried and failed many times with convising a family member or friend to do one with me. So will be going solo.

I would consider myself fairly fit. I run regurly and get out for a cycle when I can. I am also confident in the water but have not done so in a while.

Basically I'm looking for a training plan of how to prepare for a Tri sprint race. I'm not worried about my time just completing will be enough for me.
    Due to the hours I work I will be focusing all my training from the gym using treadmill, spin bike and pool. Will try my best to get outside and train on the weekends.
    So does anyone have any tips or tricks for me with regards training?!? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

If it is your first and you just want to get around, then don't worry about anything other than getting a swim, bike and run in as often as possible. However, I would strongly advise that you get in as much open water swimming as possible before you race as swimming in a pool and swimming in open water are two completely different animals. Best of luck, you won't regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

EC1000 wrote: »
    If it is your first and you just want to get around, then don't worry about anything other than getting a swim, bike and run in as often as possible. However, I would strongly advise that you get in as much open water swimming as possible before you race as swimming in a pool and swimming in open water are two completely different animals. Best of luck, you won't regret it!

Cheers. No not worried about my time. Will be trying to use a pace that I'm comfortable with but at the same time pushing myself if ye get me. Have abit of Experience in open water but as said havint been out in a while. Im looking forward to doing one now. Thanks for the feedback.

As regards open water . Maybe I should start I different thread on this but people might know here. Is there a course somewhere that teaches you about swimming in the sea. As in when it's safe and not safe, currents and tides and what to look out for.??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

what tri are you looking to do?

and where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

Is there a course somewhere that teaches you about swimming in the sea. As in when it's safe and not safe, currents and tides and what to look out for.??

First rule of OW swimming is don't do it alone. After that its down to local knowledge of tides etc and for that you need to connect with people who have been swimming in the area.

If you tell us where you are based then it can help with suggestions. Most recognised swim spots have formal or informal groups that get together to swim at set times.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

mossym wrote: »
    what tri are you looking to do?

and where are you based?

Hi Mossym - would it be possible to look maybe at setting up a 'new to triathlon' thread or sticky maybe? I'm new to Triathlon myself and don't find a huge amount of helpful information on here unfortunately.

Just a suggestion

Thanks
    D

• Advertisement
Advertisement