Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy scope mounts online

Options
  • 05-06-2017 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

I've been out of the loop for a bit obviously. How come you can't get scope mounts of all things shipped to Ireland now from the U.K.?
    I'm looking for a 1 piece,25mm, high and 11mm dovetail mount for an air gun. I was looking at a Sportmatch Dampa DM60 but the place I tried won't ship to Ireland. Uttings was the site.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

https://opticswarehouse.co.uk

Try the above, if they don't have it on the website give them a call, found them very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Kran wrote: »
    I've been out of the loop for a bit obviously. How come you can't get scope mounts of all things shipped to Ireland now from the U.K.?
    I'm looking for a 1 piece,25mm, high and 11mm dovetail mount for an air gun. I was looking at a Sportmatch Dampa DM60 but the place I tried won't ship to Ireland. Uttings was the site.

Use parcel motel, addressepal or similar and you are sorted for postage to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

EBay.co.uk (free UK postage on most items) and Amazon.co.uk (not always free UK postage) are good places to get mounts.

And use parcel motel, addressepal (€4 ish for a redirect post to Ireland from the North) or similar and you are sorted for postage to here.

Take care when buying that the seller is based in the UK and not China. Buy from the UK seller and you'll have it within a 4-7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

Try JS Ramsbottom on ebay for Sportsmatch Mounts.
    http://www.jsramsbottom.com/itemlist.html
    Will post to Ireland, east to deal with & not expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

I second Optics warehouse. I bought a set of Tier One mounts off them and they arrived in a matter of a few days. Excellent service.

I had e-mailed them beforehand as well, and they responded very quickly. A pleasure to deal with if I'm honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

https://opticswarehouse.co.uk

Try the above, if they don't have it on the website give them a call, found them very helpful.

I ended up buying from them. Very helpfull on the phone. Got a sportmatch dampa 1piece DM60. £62 with the shipping.
    Is there any way to circumvent the ban on importing scopes? Does addresspal or parcel motel work for scopes I wonder?

I brought a rather mundane 3-12 x 56mm scope in from USA using the postal system, just had to do a online agreement with the vendor that the scope wouldn't be sold onto a third party. That's to get around the international regulations on arms trade.

I use parcel motel to buy shotgun chokes and other components that wouldn't be conceived as being firearm components in their own right (wording this badly). During my transactions I have received phone calls in relation to the order and not it's destination. So company 'A' rings my Irish landline regrets to tell me I'm on a back order but it will be dispatched ASAP. Clearly not bothered that that I'm using a service like parcel motel to circumvent their shipping policy.

Both scenarios are for different circumstances - international arms trade restrictions and business based shipping policies. Each are legal and totally legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

So it's an international law? I thought it was just some stupid Irish law regulation.
    I might just get an RFD to order one for me in the end. It's just a nuisance because adding another party to the transaction just slows it down more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

So it's an international law? I thought it was just some stupid Irish law regulation.
    I might just get an RFD to order one for me in the end. It's just a nuisance because adding another party to the transaction just slows it down more.

For scope rings I have ordered directly from China ( usually Hong Kong ) on ebay. At such low prices you may as well order half a dozen - the quality is OK and the branded goods are probably made there anyway.:rolleyes:
    Scopes can be ordered from the US but vat and custom duties are a risk.Its probably only worth it for higher value items.

I won't jump too quick with a RFD , there's no paperwork other than you agreeing to not passing on said scope to a third party. The scopes themselves are unfortunately caught up in a usual blanket bureaucratic regulations and the so called restrictions only comes into place when (bit fuzzy here) once the objective and or the magnitude of the zoom goes over a certain size / power.
    So don't let this stop you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

This place in the States was mentioned a couple of weeks ago. https://webyshops.com/

Apparently they will ship to International destinations once you sign a kind of disclaimer ( check the page on International orders)
    Haven't used them and I know nothing about them but their prices seem good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I have bought off Webbyshops in Texas two so called military scopes and had them shipped here to Ireland NO problem!! In fact if you search my threads here I posted the entire procedure about 2 or 3 years ago.It matters not one whit what power or magnification the scopes have or whether they are being used right now out in Iraq on somones sniper rifle.
    You just sign the END USER'S CERTIFICATE..Which does allow you to sell it to a 3rd party provided..[1] They are not hostile to the USA or a prohibited country. [2] You make them aware of this fact and get a copy of them signing the end user certificate,which you keep forever more in case,somehow that scope is found out in some terrorists cache one day,you can prove you sold it in good faith and establish a chain of ownership.
    Time and turnaround for all this is literally 24 hours and you can have your scope within a week depending on courier company and clearence here.
    If you have a UK or EU address you can even forgo all that paperwork and get it deliverd to your door straight away.
    Thats all there is to it folks! It's a dead simple procedure that unfortuneatly is clouded in mystery,ignorance of the laws in the US,companies not having proper US state depts clearence to sell outside CONUS,or just not worth the market sales to them.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

...... so called restrictions only comes into place when (bit fuzzy here) once the objective and or the magnitude of the zoom goes over a certain size / power. ......

Stand corrected on this, restrictions only come into place if the scope was listed under 'The United States Munitions List'-

(a) The following articles, services and related technical data are designated as defense articles and defense services pursuant to 38 and 47(7) of the Arms Export Control Act (22 U.S.C. 2778 and 2794(7)).

More specifically -
    'USML Category I(f) for riflescopes subject to the ITAR'

So looks, specs or intended use are not a factor once it's not on the above listing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

ANY scope or gun part,whether civvie or military can and is listed under that legislation.Even scopes that were just tested by LE or the military and never issued..That's where the end user cert comes in to play.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement