Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Air and external monitor

• 05-06-2017 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Ok this is probably a really stupid question but given my budget right now and the speed bump the Airs just got I'm fairly set on getting one for college in a few months (can't really afford the extra €400 for the MacBook tbh).

However the screen is the only thing really holding me back (my course is social science so won't be doing anything much outside word processing, media consumption and basic photo and movie clip editing as a hobby).

If I can pull the cash together at a later date and hook up the Air to a decent screen, will it output at higher resolutions than the laptop screen? Having seen the Air and the retina screen MacBooks side by side in shops there is a serious difference. Be good to know I can use another screen if I want.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Yup they do, and can output a higher resolution. I had one connected to an Apple Thunderbolt display which went to 2560 x 1440. So ample space for multiple word docs, browser research windows and the likes.

you can use the external display in two ways.

1. as a complete second screen, you still have the laptop screen on and you can move windows as if it was just an extended screen.
    2. you can close down the laptop and just use the external display. this is good for ergonomics and not straining your head/neck from looking too far left/right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Brilliant, thanks!

Advertisement