Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple trees grow taller

Options
  • 05-06-2017 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hello,
    I have 2 apple trees in my garden, they are both very squat and low to the ground.
    I've just moved into the house so I have no idea how old they are.
    The trees are about 5 feet tall at the highest point and the branches of the trees stick out perpendicular to the trunk at began 3 and 5 feet from the ground. The branches extend out to about 4 feet on each side. The space under the trees is dangerous for young kids as there are lots of brands at eye level.
    Is there a way to encourage the trees to grow higher or for the branches to grow up to give more space under the trees.
    I have a small garden and young kids so I would like to make the most of that space under the trees.
    Looking forward to suggestions!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Murray13 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have 2 apple trees in my garden, they are both very squat and low to the ground.
    I've just moved into the house so I have no idea how old they are.
    The trees are about 5 feet tall at the highest point and the branches of the trees stick out perpendicular to the trunk at began 3 and 5 feet from the ground. The branches extend out to about 4 feet on each side. The space under the trees is dangerous for young kids as there are lots of brands at eye level.
    Is there a way to encourage the trees to grow higher or for the branches to grow up to give more space under the trees.
    I have a small garden and young kids so I would like to make the most of that space under the trees.
    Looking forward to suggestions!
    There probably grown from dwarf rootstock and are the best Imo as you don't want the branches with apples on heading for the sky but they do suit a very big open garden with plenty of room to walk around so maybe cut them down as they wont grow taller anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Oh god try not cut them down !!

Prune off any dangerous branches or the worst ones anyway.

Maybe do something under to keep kids away but they do get used to things quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Murray13

I'll defiantly be keeping the trees.
    There are tonnes of fruit already. I'm looking forward to harvest time!
    Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

The kids eye level will rise quicker than a tree's height anyway.

Advertisement