Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eroica Brittania - anyone going?

Options
  • 05-06-2017 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Hi folks, two of us from www.oldvelos.com are going to the Vintage festival in the UK weekend after next. This is what I'm bringing. Anyone else going? Brendan

20729316195_43dd788440_z.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I'd nearly do a last minute entry. Although.. I dont have old fashioned shoes, would need to change a few bits on the old Colnago and do some repairs etc.. hard to get the parts in time. How strict are they with the pre-87 I wonder ? Would a Z Peugeot TVT Lemond from 1990 with Campag C Record (same spec as Lemonds 90 TDF win) be frowned upon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Errah why not, a set of brake levers and rat traps should see you right. I might have a set of touring shoes to spare, you can PM me on that. Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

Nice bike, I'd be interested to hear how you get on as I'm going to give the Tuscany one a go on October. Hope you enjoy !

Sure thing Amboman. Some OldVelos took on Eroica Hispania and it sounds like it rained in Spain! The original in Tuscany is a great event, great roads, food and camaraderie.

However, judging by my fellow OldVelo's write-up, Brittania might be good!

http://www.oldvelos.com/it-is-about-the-bike-leroica-brittania/

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

Sure thing Amboman. Some OldVelos took on Eroica Hispania and it sounds like it rained in Spain! The original in Tuscany is a great event, great roads, food and camaraderie.

However, judging by my fellow OldVelo's write-up, Brittania might be good!

http://www.oldvelos.com/it-is-about-the-bike-leroica-brittania/

Brendan

Hope you enjoy & hopefully let us know how you got on !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

AmboMan wrote: »
    Nice bike, I'd be interested to hear how you get on as I'm going to give the Tuscany one a go on October. Hope you enjoy !

Thinking of doing it as well, though I haven't mentioned it to the Mrs yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Haven't signed up for the Britannia event yet, but will be doing the Limburg event again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

I did the Eroica Espania. It was very wet on Fri/Sat with thunder and lightening thrown in on Sun. Cool enough at 13c particularly when you get wet. Given the weather I was surprised that anyone went for the 200k with 3349 meters of climbing as I had done this 2 years ago in 40c and its a long day. I have no problem riding on "piste" but when you hit mud it was very slippy.
    I never saw as many punctures on any event and of course the lack of tubes tyre levers and pumps came as no surprise at all. I had one pinch flat. My plan was to do the 120k but after the lightening I took the 69k route.
    There was a great mixed bunch Americans/Germans/French/Italians/English and off course Spanish.
    On Monday I stopped for a coffee break on the Toulouse motor way and met some of the french guys I had seen on the 120k route. They finished it in 11 hours and were shattered . Hope they were rotating the driving.

Oh Ging,

We heard Espania was bad - there's a pic of the OldVelos lads on our facebook page. We also have an Oldvelos Cyclists FB Page where you can find out about some of our informal spins - there's one coming up on the 24th of June in Celbridge.

I'm leaning toward riding the event on a BSA single speed - what gear to choose?

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

Im not on FB, is there any where else I can see events ?
    I hope the Old velos were not camping in that weather.

• Advertisement

Just popped it up on a thread there.

Brendan

Advertisement