Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the new HOMEPOD play Radio from app ??

Options
  • 05-06-2017 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

anyone know ???

Looks amazing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

No one knows yet, I assume you can AirPlay any audio stream to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Would be amazing if you could.... from the spec it should deliver

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

No one knows yet, I assume you can AirPlay any audio stream to it.

You are an optimist. The Apple page for it doesn't mention using any other source other than Apple Music. The blurb has the caveat:
    Siri works with Apple Music. Subscription required for Apple Music.

One would hope you could stream to it from an iphone or Mac, but I think that won't be allowed. This is for selling Music subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    anyone know ???

Looks amazing

Amazingly expensive imo.

Too late to the party and overpriced.

I`m becoming less and less of an Apple customer. Their pricing policy is ridiculous at this stage even for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It probably will support Airplay streaming from a Mac/iPhone, though I kinda hope it doesn't. The whole point of a device like this is that I don't have to airplay stuff to speakers, wasting my precious iPhone battery in the process. So I would hope it has a way of streaming radio by itself, if not at launch then soon after. I have an Airplay speaker at the moment and it doesn't work very well, especially in a kitchen with interference from microwaves, etc. Then I get a phone call or I go to use the camera and the sound stops and won't resume. It's terrible for playing radio and I'm planning to replace it soon with a real radio.

If the sound quality is as good as Apple claim, then $349 seems like a fair enough price to me. Those smart speakers that Google and Amazon sell have pretty mediocre if not terrible sound quality. Apple is presumedly focusing on the sound because they can't quite compete on the AI front yet, but that will change. They are obviously playing catch up here.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    You are an optimist. The Apple page for it doesn't mention using any other source other than Apple Music. The blurb has the caveat:

One would hope you could stream to it from an iphone or Mac, but I think that won't be allowed. This is for selling Music subscriptions.

Why would you be talking to it to AirPlay a Music source? you play "radio" on your 2017 pocket computer, and change your pocket computer's output source like you can do for the Apple TV now. Yes Siri is for Apple Music, but that's just so you can do "Hey Siri, Play Coldplay's latest terrible song". Siri's backend needs to cache 100% of the titles for music on Apple Music.

Why wouldn't you?

I can 'hey Cortana, turn Bluetooth on. Play Black Hole' to my old Nokia 720 Windows phone and and it will do just that; turn bluetooth on, launch the music app and play the requested track, streamed to a BT receiver hooked to the HiFi.

You are assuming you can Airplay anything to it. What I am saying is that I doubt that you will be able to, which I think aught to be a capability. This will just be a repeat of Apple's refusal to allow you to Air Drop between OSX and iOS or to Airplay from OSX to iOS. Not only is it a walled garden, the streets are all one way with massive speed humps every 10m.

You can AirPlay anything to an AppleTV which up until the HomePad is there home hub I don't think the HomePod will differ.

AirDrop between iOS and macOS was released with iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite a whole 3 years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's rare to see anyone bring up the "walled garden" anymore. I remember when that was almost all we talked about in here. I'm not sure if Apple opened it up or their competitors decided it was a good idea, probably a bit of both, but it definitely doesn't seem to be a dealbreaker for most users anymore.

You can AirPlay anything to an AppleTV which up until the HomePad is there home hub I don't think the HomePod will differ.

AirDrop between iOS and macOS was released with iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite a whole 3 years ago.

I hope you are right, I know I can Airplay any source to my Airport Express, but The lack of this capability being mentioned by Apple is not a good sign. My bet is that this will be Apple Music subscription only, not even your own local iTunes library.

Yes, I know Apple eventually allowed Air Drop to work between OSX and iOS, I was talking about the first several years when they didn't.

• Advertisement

According to iMore, it support Airplay but not Bluetooth.
    Apple's speaker works similarly, taking in your music (from Apple Music or another device via the AirPlay 2 protocol) and computing the hell out of it. The A8 chip analyzes your music in milliseconds to provide the best EQ, balance, and projection for your exact room layout.

Unfortunately, to achieve that musical clarity, HomeHub doesn't support Bluetooth connections — only AirPlay 2 and local Apple Music streaming. And like every other smart speaker manufacturer, the default music service is the company's own: You won't be able to stream Spotify, Pandora, Amazon, or Tidal without sending it from another device first.

Pretty much as expected then. Maybe in time Apple will add an App Store, but in the meantime you can just stream from your device, same as you would with AppleTv or any Airplay speaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'd like a speaker like this to do as my computer speaker too so if it can't play other stuff it won't suit me.

I'd like a speaker like this to do as my computer speaker too so if it can't play other stuff it won't suit me.

It will, but via Airplay only.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Yes, I know Apple eventually allowed Air Drop to work between OSX and iOS, I was talking about the first several years when they didn't.

AirDrop for iOS came in iOS 7. iOS users were without it for a single year, hardly several.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It will, but via Airplay only.

Is this the way people get Netflix audio onto their Sonos?

According to iMore, it support Airplay but not Bluetooth.

Pretty much as expected then. Maybe in time Apple will add an App Store, but in the meantime you can just stream from your device, same as you would with AppleTv or any Airplay speaker.

Amazons Echo has Amazon music as default player alright but also allows you to use Spotify as a music player(which can be set to default)

Surprised there isnt support for apps such as tunein etc.
    Slightly cripled device out of the box by the sounds of it. Maybe fixed with updates but really should be more capable from the off imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

adox wrote: »
    Slightly cripled device out of the box by the sounds of it. Maybe fixed with updates but really should be more capable from the off imo.
    Pretty much standard fare for Gen-1 Apple hardware, no? Pretty much the same as the old "Wait for the first Service Pack" for Microsoft OSes back in the day :D

I reckon it'll still sell gangbusters, though personally I think it looks too large to be considered beautiful or to be put front and centre to display on a shelf at home.

Pretty much standard fare for Gen-1 Apple hardware, no? Pretty much the same as the old "Wait for the first Service Pack" for Microsoft OSes back in the day :D

I reckon it'll still sell gangbusters, though personally I think it looks too large to be considered beautiful or to be put front and centre to display on a shelf at home.

Id be skeptical about it selling bucket loads. Plenty of other options out there with more options, much cheaper etc.

?400-?450 for this with Apple Music being pretty much it really doesnt appeal.

AirDrop for iOS came in iOS 7. iOS users were without it for a single year, hardly several.

Airdrop was released in 2011, you couldn't airdrop between OSX and iOS until OSX Yosemite in Oct 2014. iOS 6 was released in 2012, so years, plural.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭iniall

Amazingly expensive imo.

Too late to the party and overpriced.

I`m becoming less and less of an Apple customer. Their pricing policy is ridiculous at this stage even for them.

iPod. iPhone. iPad. All "too late to the party and overpriced".

• Advertisement

iniall wrote: »
    iPod. iPhone. iPad. All "too late to the party and overpriced".

Nope. they werent the first to market with any of them but they were all game changers with no or little established competition. I have owned all three.

This will have very little USP apart from the badge and be a vastly inferior product to its competitors at twice the price and the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭iniall

But what is its competition? The Echo and Home are poor speakers and Sonos has no Siri.

iniall wrote: »
    But what is its competition? The Echo and Home are poor speakers and Sonos has no Siri.

We will wait to see what the speaker is like but the Echo Dot can be paired with any speaker on the market. Costs ?50.

Actually forgot that Homekit is integrated into it as well so thats a big plus for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Nope. they werent the first to market with any of them but they were all game changers with no or little established competition. I have owned all three.

This will have very little USP apart from the badge and be a vastly inferior product to its competitors at twice the price and the rest.

I heard that about the iPod.
    Which was $400 if I recall.

It's not an Amazon echo. It's a speaker. A good speaker system can't be cheap.

Sonos speaker systems run from $250-$600

We will wait to see what the speaker is like but the Echo Dot can be paired with any speaker on the market. Costs ?50.

50 for the speaker?

I heard that about the iPod.
    Which was $400 if I recall.

It's not an Amazon echo. It's a speaker. A good speaker system can't be cheap.

Sonos speaker systems run from $250-$600

I know how much the original iPod was. I bought one myself and many other versions afterwards. It's not the same thing at all imo.

This is an Amazon Echo. That's exactly what it is. The speaker may be better but it's a home assistant device. It's overpriced imo in the market place.

50 for the speaker?

?50 for the Echo Dot which has a very small speaker built in but can be paired with a speaker through line in or Bluetooth.

My point was that you said the Echo and Google Home are poor speakers(have you heard them) and that you were paying for a good speaker here. I was pointing out that with the Amazon Echo if you aren't happy with the speaker in it you can by the little Echo Dot and have plenty of cash left to buy a great speaker to go with it and probably not spend as much as the HomePod.

I know how much the original iPod was. I bought one myself and many other versions afterwards. It's not the same thing at all imo.

This is an Amazon Echo. That's exactly what it is. The speaker may be better but it's a home assistant device. It's overpriced imo in the market place.

It's not. It's that and a high end speaker. Getting rave reviews from music mags.

• Advertisement

It's not. It's that and a high end speaker. Getting rave reviews from music mags.

Meh i think it is. Even you are saying it is with a better speaker.

Advertisement