Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have sympathy for male 'incels (involuntary celibates)?

Options
  • 06-06-2017 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

These are young adult guys who can get it up and actually want to be in a romantic/sexual relationship (maybe not enough to do anything meaningful..) but due to attractiveness, mental issues and/or dysfunctional relationships with society, family, peers, are constantly unable to.

It's a big thing on Reddit and the overall Red Pill. I wanted to post it in 'The Gentlemans Club' but I think that it's too specific and wanted to know how the average boardsie user thought of these guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,982 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No different from women in the same categories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Pack of softies.
    They need a stiff talking to. Or someone they really love/fancy. Either would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

No, because as often seems to be the case, they take out their bitterness and frustration on women who have nothing to do with their situation i.e. All of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

jeanjolie wrote: »
    These are young adult guys who can get it up and actually want to be in a romantic/sexual relationship (maybe not enough to do anything meaningful..) but due to attractiveness, mental issues and/or dysfunctional relationships with society, family, peers, are constantly unable to.

It's a big thing on Reddit and the overall Red Pill. I wanted to post it in 'The Gentlemans Club' but I think that it's too specific and wanted to know how the average boardsie user thought of these guys.

I amaware of people who find getting a partner very difficult and i sometimes think about whether they realise that they would have to compromise on their type of partner in order together in a relationship and whether the decide they simply can't get someone they find attractive

I had not previously been aware of the vernacular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

No different from women in the same categories.

Unless a woman is severely deformed facially or physically, mentally incapacitated, or is choosing voluntarily,

Involuntary celibate

and

average white middle class woman

don't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Beyondgone wrote: »
    Pack of softies.
    They need a stiff talking to. Or someone they really love/fancy. Either would work.

I think you read it wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I think therefore I ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Seems like an completely unnecessary labeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I think therefore I ****

I have to hand it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Noveight wrote: »

I really wish there were less names for all this stuff. Incels, cis, its so hard to keep up.

Why do we need to categorize and group people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭pillphil

Noveight wrote: »

It's a self label as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

@OP - You'll be grand, just grow a beard... that's what all the ugly dudes do!

It's fashionable too, so nobody will think you're a paedophile!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

@OP - You'll be grand, just grow a beard... that's what all the ugly dudes do!

It's fashionable too, so nobody will think you're a paedophile!! :P

Not me but anyways, I dislike looking masculine; I understand that's what a lot of young women still want in a man but I'm not going to sacrifice my personality just to fit some masculine ideals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I have sympathy for anybody who's lonely, but my sympathy levels run a bit short when they start to blame everyone else for their predicament. Which is often the case with people who call themselves "incels".

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

While anyone lonely or wanting a relationship who can't find their match tugs on the old heart strings, I struggle to muster sympathy for people who blame anything and everything for their woes rather do a bit of introspection and work on themselves...particularly when their "lack" is purely in reference to sex.

There are plenty of people who are less than attractive, less than mentally stable and with less than a fully functional relationship track record who are not celibate, which would suggest these aren't actually the issue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Sounds like an excuse to act horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

While anyone lonely or wanting a relationship who can't find their match tugs on the old heart strings, I struggle to muster sympathy for people who blame anything and everything for their woes rather do a bit of introspection and work on themselves...particularly when their "lack" is purely in reference to sex.

There are plenty of people who are less than attractive, less than mentally stable and with less than a fully functional relationship track record who are not celibate, which would suggest these aren't actually the issue...

When you have a look at their subreddit and see discussions advocating raping women, transitioning to a woman just to get sex or whether they should have sex with their own sister should the opportunity arise, it's hard to have sympathy for them. I think the fact that they are a bunch of weirdos explains why they are celibate, yet they choose to blame anyone but themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

It's a bit of a myth that incels or loveshy men are all barmy misogynists, there's people who simply 'don't have it' and people who do, the folk who do find access to love, sex, relationships, hook ups, one night stands an absolute doddle, they have personalities that work for them and therefore facilitate these situations, whereas if you don't have it then it's advisable to accept you're not going to get much out of this life unless luck or chance throws something up.

Statistically in a world of 8bn people there probably is 'someone for everyone', but it ain't much use if your soulmates in Chile or living halfway up a mountain in New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

surely there has to be more qualifiers to the term 'incel' than just being involuntarily celibate.

i mean a whole lot of the world at any one time is celibate without desire to be so. how many single people are out there ... how many of these single people would like a shag.

have to put a time frame on it.
    6 months+ to qualify as incel, otherwise you're just another another randomer with a bonk on / wide on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Lack is slang for girlfriend :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

In my day we just called it 'going through a dry spell'.

Sex is like money, it seems way more important than it is when you don't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Life dosnt owe you sex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

The Reddit ones seem to be toxic idiots from the brief bit I have seen of it but from the way it appears its not an existence anybody would want
    For the non-Reddit types I would have sympathy, sex and highly sexualized stuff is ever present in modern society personally I'm really not sure if the whole sex positivism narrative is actually that healthy but thats a different story, I think it would take a major effort to avoid whereas in the past it would have been less in your face. Do I have more sympathy for them than those who can get sex thats low quality and possibly one-sided/exploitative but really just want a loving relationship, I am not sure.

Thats true but if you narrow it to straight men, exclude the the ones that have some sort of "status", and include high levels of social awkwardness it might make up a significant proportion of functionally celibate people.

I am not sure mental stability and relationship track record would be the most important factor if your just looking at one night stands, someone who's bipolar for example might ruin every relationship but they might pull all the time when on the upswing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Unless a woman is severely deformed facially or physically, mentally incapacitated, or is choosing voluntarily,

Involuntary celibate

and

average white middle class woman

don't exist.

You sound like you are talking nonsense there.

In my experience the type of guys you are referring to are the same ones who blame every external factor for their predicament and wouldn't dream of maybe having a look at themselves first and foremost to see why they may not be considered a catch. And usually they carry a fair bit of bitterness and resentment around with them too, which isn't very attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Making a stupid acronym for them doesn't really help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

I've never thought about it, so don't have an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There's no such things as involuntary celibacy

Just like there's no such thing as involuntary suicide. It's just a pity that practitioners of one don't do the other too.

Harsh maybe, but fcuk that noise. Same people that call themselves 'incels', like pepe memes and calling people cucks. They are retarded and the world would be a better place without them.

I'm glad they can't get laid

Mod: Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Sure, I have sympathy for them, I just don't have much sympathy for the ones that (as most other people have mentioned) take out their frustrations on wimminz in general for not falling all over them. It's obviously the fault of all the women that keep rejecting them and nothing at all to do with being a misogynistic, self-important little sh*tweasel at all.

Obviously not all of them are, but there would appear to be a high proportion of those that are on places like RedPill, We Were Once Mammoth-Hunters (whatever they call themselves, there's something about mammoths in there) and the other few sh*tweasel sites. I've read some of their stuff out of mild interest and good gods some of these people are absolute poison and that they can't get sex (or a loving relationship) is more to do with the self-preservation skills of most women!

• Advertisement

There's no such things as involuntary celibacy

Just like there's no such thing as involuntary suicide. It's just a pity that practitioners of one don't do the other too.

Harsh maybe, but fcuk that noise. Same people that call themselves 'incels', like pepe memes and calling people cucks. They are retarded and the world would be a better place without them.

I'm glad they can't get laid
    Letting the mask slip a lot there, do you think radical feminists should also go top themselves, what' of the angry Asian males with the​ acronym I can't remember. Those groups also say loads of nasty sht

Advertisement