Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have sympathy for male 'incels (involuntary celibates)?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

There are plenty of people who are less than attractive, less than mentally stable and with less than a fully functional relationship track record who are not celibate, which would suggest these aren't actually the issue...

The thing is I believe there's a double standard here. If someone in their mid 30s-40s was to say that they couldn't find a job, 95% of us would naturally assume that they meant a 'decent well paying job'. Not a low fast food job that doesn't pay anything. Sure, they could get a job at McDonalds and perhaps if they adjusted (really lowered the bar) of their lifestyle then they could 'get along fine' but people have standards.

In the same way that when someone says they are an 'involuntary celibate' they mean they cannot have sex with a decent, non-dsyfunctional, middle class nice girl with the level of ease that others do. They're not talking about not being able to get the girl from North Dublin with green and black hair or even if she does look and dress decently, has a dysfunctional family with a father who makes his presence known in every room of the house and the mother with emotional problems.

It's standards. That's all it is really.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

People who use the label for themselves would be the first to rail against 'identity politics', no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Learn a new word every day, never heard of an incel before today.

It's nothing new, there will always be some lads who maybe because they have no confidence to approach women or to be blunt fell out of the ugly tree will never pop their cherry unless they pay for it.

Which is easy enough to organise these days in fairness since the internet arrived.

Then there are a few weirdos who just hate women and want to hurt them because they think it's unfair they can't get laid, you got a future serial killer there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

jeanjolie wrote: »
    It's a big thing on Reddit and the overall Red Pill. I wanted to post it in 'The Gentlemans Club' but I think that it's too specific and wanted to know how the average boardsie user thought of these guys.

They need to get off the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,353 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The thing is I believe there's a double standard here. If someone in their mid 30s-40s was to say that they couldn't find a job, 95% of us would naturally assume that they meant a 'decent well paying job'. Not a low fast food job that doesn't pay anything. Sure, they could get a job at McDonalds and perhaps if they adjusted (really lowered the bar) of their lifestyle then they could 'get along fine' but people have standards.

In the same way that when someone says they are an 'involuntary celibate' they mean they cannot have sex with a decent, non-dsyfunctional, middle class nice girl with the level of ease that others do. They're not talking about not being able to get the girl from North Dublin with green and black hair or even if she does look and dress decently, has a dysfunctional family with a father who makes his presence known in every room of the house and the mother with emotional problems.

I'm not sure whether you meant to give away as much insight into you're own prejudices. That second paragraph is full of info about prejudices and sense of self importance. If that's any way indicative of the incels, then I'd have little sympathy.

It sounds like these fellas have watched too many Hollywood movies and expect Jennifer Aniston to suddenly realise he was The One this whole time. You make them sound like helpless little princesses waiting for their Prince Charming to rescue them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

I'm of the opinion that if an acronym needs to be defined it shouldn't be used

I hate this bolloxology of shortening everything

• Registered Users Posts: 10,329 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Noveight wrote: »
    Seems like an completely unnecessary labeling.

It's modern toss

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

In that case they can stop with the stupid self labelling of "involuntary celibates" and start accepting they lack the tools &/or social skills to pull the kind of girl they assume they deserve...

The whole "can't have sex with" thing is beyond creepy. These are people we are talking about. Sex is an act someone chooses to share with you, chooses to share their body with you. I'd guarantee reeking of embittered self-entitlement to such a degree that appears universally undeserving is the real hurdle here. Maybe instead of concentrating on what they're not getting, these guys need to focus on what they're giving...because the mind-set you describe is less attractive than a life in McDonald's employment or that girl from N. Dublin apparently should be...ironically, I suspect the issue is "standards" on both sides...

If the reason you don't have a job or a girlfriend is your standards then you're not 'involuntary' anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

when someone says they are an 'involuntary celibate' they mean they cannot have sex with a decent, non-dsyfunctional, middle class nice girl with the level of ease that others do. They're not talking about not being able to get the girl from North Dublin with green and black hair or even if she does look and dress decently, has a dysfunctional family with a father who makes his presence known in every room of the house and the mother with emotional problems.

Wow. I wasn't aware of the venacular but that's the reason they can't get laid right there. I'd have zero interest in someone who thought that they were above other people based on their socioeconomic status.

I'd also expect someone to take a job in mcdonalds to tide themselves over if they were really skint. Life doesn't owe you anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

The label is dumb. Apparently there are 1.5M single people in ireland. We can hardly label them all as involuntary celibates. And the solution is obvious enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Wow. I wasn't aware of the venacular but that's the reason they can't get laid right there. I'd have zero interest in someone who thought that they were above other people based on their socioeconomic status.

I'd also expect someone to take a job in mcdonalds to tide themselves over if they were really skint. Life doesn't owe you anything.

Eh. The entire assumption here is based on the idea that there are working class women freely available (why?) but there are middle class men refusing to engage with them.

Its basically evidence free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

jeanjolie wrote:
    Involuntary celibate

and

average white middle class woman

don't exist.

So when men can't get laid, it's "standards", when women can't get laid they must be deficient in some way?

That's a bit telling on your part isn't it?

One always gets the impression that some voluntary personal hygiene could go a long way in these cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

Life dosnt owe you sex

But you do owe sex your life

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Eh. The entire assumption here is based on the idea that there are working class women freely available (why?) but there are middle class men refusing to engage with them.

Its basically evidence free.

I agree with you. My reaction was to what they said was their viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

So when men can't get laid, it's "standards", when women can't get laid they must be deficient in some way?

That's a bit telling on your part isn't it?

Go easy. He's a teenager and hasn't much of a clue. He's figuring it out online.

endacl wrote: »
    Go easy. He's a teenager and hasn't much of a clue. He's figuring it out online.

I remember being a teenager. I wasn't asking any of the ladies their socioeconomics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NinjaKirby

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    When you have a look at their subreddit and see discussions advocating raping women, transitioning to a woman just to get sex or whether they should have sex with their own sister should the opportunity arise, it's hard to have sympathy for them. I think the fact that they are a bunch of weirdos explains why they are celibate, yet they choose to blame anyone but themselves

This definitely sounds like an internet rabbit hole I could sink a few hours into!

These people sound insane.

Do you have a link for their subreddit?

If they are anything like MGTOW then I expect some pretty intense and angry young men spouting total nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Letting the mask slip a lot there, do you think radical feminists should also go top themselves, what' of the angry Asian males with the​ acronym I can't remember. Those groups also say loads of nasty sht

The Hapas are a unique bunch, remember doing a bit of reading on them after the Elliot Rodger's case.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hapas/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

It's a big thing on Reddit and the overall Red Pill.

so what does that mean, assuming mostly as US thing a few hundred or couple of thousand teenagers/men out of a population of tens of millions does not really a thing make. In the normal course of things one could go through life without ever hearing about furries or otherkin, yet thanks to the power of the internet a small number of people with outrageous views get to trend.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

RayM wrote: »
    I have sympathy for anybody who's lonely, but my sympathy levels run a bit short when they start to blame everyone else for their predicament. Which is often the case with people who call themselves "incels".

They're always 'nice guys'. The problem is that all the attractive women can't see past the surface and are stuck up bitches that only like assholes… It's never anything to do with them because they're 'nice guys'.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

silverharp wrote: »
    so what does that mean, assuming mostly as US thing a few hundred or couple of thousand teenagers/men out of a population of tens of millions does not really a thing make. In the normal course of things one could go through life without ever hearing about furries or otherkin, yet thanks to the power of the internet a small number of people with outrageous views get to trend.

Furries are so well known that CSI did an episode about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I guess they found them furry appealing…

•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I remember being a teenager. I wasn't asking any of the ladies their socioeconomics

There is a dollop of Dunning/Kruger effect going on too. It's funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

sure but before the internet this would have been a Louis Theroux documentary ..and in our next episode men that are sexually attracted to cars :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The SVU episode on Redchan was hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Infidels & celibates, what's this all about :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

They seem to be a self entitled bunch with a total lack of empathy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

Why not? I'm sure you've met someone who thinks like that. Would you break up with a man if you found out that he thought of himself 'above' others like this?

relationship/sex wise or in general?

Advertisement