Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC

Options
  • 06-06-2017 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? [€1000]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming] All modern games

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [250GB SSD]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [N/A]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Maybe]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [In 30/60 days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [N/A]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (?190.83 @ Ebuyer)
    Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350M-A Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (?71.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (?119.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (?39.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card (?305.74 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Silverstone - Sugo SG11B MicroATX Mini Tower Case (?58.65 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 (EU) 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (?79.15 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: ?866.33
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-06 15:43 BST+0100

- Ryzen 1600 is possibly the best value CPU on the market at the moment, very very similar to an i5 but has 6 cores/12 thread as opposed to the i5s 4/4 which will help in extremely demanding games like Battlefield 1 and also in terms of longer high end performance. It also means that should you ever use your PC for anything besides gaming, it is very more versatile for workstation work, streaming, editing, etc. On top of this, it can also overclock out of the box - if you're not familiar with overclocking don't do it right away but it can give your system a nice little extra kick when needed at times and you'll be able to do a bit of research on it, dip your toe in the water, etc and get the knack of it. All 1600s do this so it's not an optional extra you're paying more for or anything, it's just there as an option.

- GTX 1070 is a monster of a GPU that won't need replacing for a good long time. I have a 970 which is about 3 years old as a model by now but can still walk over more or less anything at 1080p ultra settings and probably will do for the next decent while; if that's your resolution I imagine the this should last you 5+ years easily. Plus if for any reason you ever do go up to 1440p, this is an excellent GPU for that. If you want, a GTX 480 or 580 8GB is also an excellent GPU for 1080p that should have a lot of lifespan at roughly €100 less (and a 1060 6GB is too).

- 16GB 3200mhz RAM - Ryzen chips need strong RAM (2666+mhz) to get the most out of them and see strong boosts all the way up to 3200mhz, this was only ?5 more than 2666mhz and so well worth the extra bump. I think it's on sale though, if so it might be best to grab it asap to ensure the price - planning on buying on picking up one of these myself too, to be honest.

- A 1TB HDD for bulk storage to go with your SSD for the games, additional media etc. You can also scale up to bigger units at roughly ?20ish per TB if more storage is of interest to you.

- A Gold+, fully modular PSU with tonnes of overhead room for if you ever upgrade anything, and to keep it silent and running well, SeaSonic Supernova is an excellent make and model. If you haven't built a PC before, the fully modular part will make your life so, so much easier. It's a good deal more power than you need, but it's onyl about ?15 more than the lowest cost fully modular unit, and the gold+ energy efficiency means it will pay itself back on the bills for you.

- Case: A case is going to be entirely subjective to be honest, anything labelled 'ATX' or 'MATX' will work fine for you and depends on what you like the look of. The one I have suggested is a tiny model that should squeeze into a large backpack/rucksack if you ever plan on moving it anywhere (or just for ease of use if you want to use it in different rooms in the house). I have the slightly smaller again 'SG13' model and can say it is excellent in terms of heat issues too, as it's so small and all the mesh just causes any hot air to rush out of it instead of building and building. If you click on the link for the list I have above and go to 'cases' that website will only show ones that work with your system. Note though: if you go for a system with a window or whatnot, the motherboard which is 'm(icro) ATX' will look a bit funny in the full ATX case. It will fit and work perfectly fine, just that there'll be a lot of dead space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Forgot to add, if any of the other sites than Amazon do not do Ireland delivery or overcharge something stupid for it, use Parcel Motel and they will do it for €3.95 per item (so €7.90 for both).

Advertisement