Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need clarification on EU Roaming changes

Options
  • 06-06-2017 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm on eir Mobile 100 which currently gives me 1Gb of data in Ireland, plus 1Gb of EU Roaming data.
    According to the text I received, there are changes coming up on June 15th whereas data used while roaming in the EU will come out of my home data. I hope this does not mean that from June 15th I will only have 1Gb of data to use both at home and abroad, as this literally means losing half the data I bought when I signed up.

Can someone please point me to clear information about how the new rules affect subscribers on eir Mobile 100? Can any rep here clarify this for me?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Whole day passed, no answer. It would be nice if the reps did not simply ignore a request for information, even if the answer is some pre-canned BS, like "Let me look into that for you...".

What do you think, Reps?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Hi JoyPad,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Any roaming add-ons will automatically be removed from your plan as they will be unnecessary due to this legislation.

Your 1GB will be split between roaming and domestic as Fair Usage Policies apply.

Thanks,
    Anna

What is the cancellation number, please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

So the price of data are effectively being doubled?

Guy Sajer wrote: »
    So the price of data are effectively being doubled?
    Or the data allowance effectively slashed in half. I'm pretty sure this is a breach of contract, as I was promised 1Gb at home PLUS 1Gb while roaming.
    To say "this is unnecessary due to legislation" is a stupid thing to say. It is necessary because I roam to EU often, and the legislation is supposed to help the customers, not help the company screw me.

• Advertisement

All roaming add-ons have been removed from all of the packages as they are deemed unnecessary due to the ability to be able to roam like home now in the EU.

Can you please PM me your full name, mobile number and PIN and I will look into this further and advise you of what is available on this plan?

Thanks,
    Anna

How can they be unnecessary, when I go from 1Gb + 1Gb to 1Gb total? It's simple math: I get less than what I signed up for!
    I don't see how you looking into my account would change anything. I told you, I am on eir Mobile 100.

Your plan is eir Mobile 100 1GB + Roaming on 08xxxxxxxx

If you're removing the "unnecessary" add-on, I am left with 1GB + no Roaming, which is less than what I paid for!

JoyPad wrote: »
    What is the cancellation number, please?
    And you haven't answered this question. Thank you.

I do apologise.

You can contact our loyalty team on 1800 303 600 or freephone 1901.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

How can they be unnecessary, when I go from 1Gb + 1Gb to 1Gb total? It's simple math: I get less than what I signed up for!
    I don't see how you looking into my account would change anything. I told you, I am on eir Mobile 100.

Your plan is eir Mobile 100 1GB + Roaming on 08xxxxxxxx

If you're removing the "unnecessary" add-on, I am left with 1GB + no Roaming, which is less than what I paid for!
    I have the same issue with Meteor and we went through everything. The contract and terms and conditions don't mention this 1GB plus 1GB roaming. Was told take legal action against them if felt strongly about it.

Let us know how you get on = P'm me if you have more luck

• Advertisement

flexcon wrote: »
    I have the same issue with Meteor and we went through everything. The contract and terms and conditions don't mention this 1GB plus 1GB roaming. Was told take legal action against them if felt strongly about it.

Let us know how you get on = P'm me if you have more luck
    I wish I could go through the terms and conditions, but I don't even have a contract. I have asked eir for a copy of my contract, and they said they will send it to me "immediately". That was yesterday at 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Hi Guys

I'm not on the same plan as you - I'm on the eir Mobile Unlimited 10GB + Roaming - 24 month minimum contract.

Taken from the T&Cs of that plan:

1GB of EEA zone Roaming data is included into all Plans listed above, which can be used while roaming in EEA countries - this is additional to a customers' domestic data included in their plan.

Since this "additional" data has been removed from our plans it would appear that it a clear change in T&Cs. 

Reps - are you stating that this is not the case?

Ta

"In the event of changes to these terms and conditions notified by eir Mobile, you may terminate this Agreement without charge by giving notice in writing prior to the date of implementation of such changes."

Let's get writing...

"In the event of changes to these terms and conditions notified by eir Mobile, you may terminate this Agreement without charge by giving notice in writing prior to the date of implementation of such changes."

Let's get writing...
    Does someone have a link to the t&C ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Are we allowed out of contract so? Anyone know?

atgate wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I'm not on the same plan as you - I'm on the eir Mobile Unlimited 10GB + Roaming - 24 month minimum contract.

Taken from the T&Cs of that plan:

1GB of EEA zone Roaming data is included into all Plans listed above, which can be used while roaming in EEA countries - this is additional to a customers' domestic data included in their plan.

Since this "additional" data has been removed from our plans it would appear that it a clear change in T&Cs. 

Reps - are you stating that this is not the case?

Ta

REPS: Could I have a response to this?

eir: Anna wrote: »

We are fully compliant with the regulations and consider this matter to be closed.  

Hi Leanne

With respect, my query has nothing to do with EU regulations. I'm looking for a simple answer to a simple question:

My current situation as per contract: 15gb Data plus 1gb roaming data = total possible data usage of 16gb.

Post-June 15th: 15gb data (can be used in Ireland and EU) = total possible data usage 15gb.

Is the above accurate? If it is then a change in contract terms and conditions is happening. And I might add without proper notification and option to withdraw from contract.

Thanks

Hi atgate, 

I do apologise.

Can you please PM me your account details so I can check have a further look into this for you?

Thanks, 
    Anna.

Hi Guys,

Just to clarify a few things for you up here.

The roaming regulations have the effect of expanding the geographic area covered by our domestic price plans.  As stated in the recitals to Regulation (EU) 2015/2120 the regulations have “the ultimate aim of eliminating the difference between domestic charges and roaming charges” from 15 June 2017.  For this reason, the scope and value of your domestic allowances have increased to cover the entire EEA area.  The area that was previously addressed by the 1GB EU roaming allowance.  This renders the 1GB allowance defunct as the EEA is deemed to be addressed by domestic charges.

Furthermore Article 3 2. of the Commission Implementing Regulation which requires, when periodically travelling in the EU “roaming customers have access to regulated retail roaming services at domestic price during such periodic travel in the Union under the same conditions as if such services were consumed domestically”.  Article 6b1 of Regulation (EU) 531/2012
    “Any fair use policy should enable the roaming provider’s customers to consume volumes of regulated retail roaming services at the applicable domestic retail price that are consistent with their respective tariff plans”.  Therefore there is no entitlement under the regulations to an allowance in the month in which roaming occurs, that exceeds their domestic monthly allowance.

We are fully compliant with the regulations and consider this matter to be closed.  

Thanks, 
    Anna.

Basically, what every rep from Eir told me so far: they consider themselves to be correct, even though they are cutting my data allowance in half. Unless you're willing to go to court, you have to shut up and pay up.

• Advertisement

Basically, what every rep from Eir told me so far: they consider themselves to be correct, even though they are cutting my data allowance in half. Unless you're willing to go to court, you have to shut up and pay up.

i should have 5.3gb roaming but have 7.4gb.

I wonder is it due to my billing period?

Hi JoyPad,

Please feel free to PM me your account details and I will be more than happy to check this for you.

Thanks, 
    Anna.

flexcon wrote: »

i should have 5.3gb roaming but have 7.4gb.

I wonder is it due to my billing period?
    Hi flexcon, 

Can you please PM me your account details and I can have a further look into this for you?

Thanks,
    Anna.

Hi JoyPad,

Please feel free to PM me your account details and I will be more than happy to check this for you.

Thanks, 
    Anna.
    Just as I thought, Anna served me the same standard blurb I heard from the other Eir reps I spoke to. Basically, they are taking away my 1GB of EU roaming, and I will have to use my 1GB of data for home as well as roaming. Math notwithstanding, they are doing me a "favour".

What these reps fail to understand is that the EU legislation was meant to help customers. And for someone who has 10GB of data, going from 1GB of roaming data to 5 or 7 or whatever they now get, that might be a good thing. But when you cut my data allowance from 2GB down to 1GB, you're definitely shafting me.

What does this even mean?
    "As per EU legislation, we are inclusive adding roaming to your account."

I already had roaming in my account, the product I purchased came with 1GB of EU roaming data. You are actually taking it away.

Let me clarify this for the mathematically challenged:

Last month, I could use up 1GB of data here in Dublin, then travel to Northern Ireland and use ANOTHER 1Gb of data. Total usage: 2GB of data.

From next month, if I use up the 1GB of data here in Dublin, I will no longer have any data to use in Northern Ireland. Total usage: 1GB of data.

Hi JoyPad,

Thanks, 
    Anna.
    Just as I thought, Anna served me the same standard blurb I heard from the other Eir reps I spoke to. Basically, they are taking away my 1GB of EU roaming, and I will have to use my 1GB of data for home as well as roaming. Math notwithstanding, they are doing me a "favour".

What these reps fail to understand is that the EU legislation was meant to help customers. And for someone who has 10GB of data, going from 1GB of roaming data to 5 or 7 or whatever they now get, that might be a good thing. But when you cut my data allowance from 2GB down to 1GB, you're definitely shafting me.

What does this even mean?
    "As per EU legislation, we are inclusive adding roaming to your account."

I already had roaming in my account, the product I purchased came with 1GB of EU roaming data. You are actually taking it away.

Let me clarify this for the mathematically challenged:

Last month, I could use up 1GB of data here in Dublin, then travel to Northern Ireland and use ANOTHER 1Gb of data. Total usage: 2GB of data.

From next month, if I use up the 1GB of data here in Dublin, I will no longer have any data to use in Northern Ireland. Total usage: 1GB of data.
    Hi JoyPad,

I have responded to your DM. 

Thanks, 
    Leanne. 

Advertisement