Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lycra fraternity and Multitudes of cyclists on paths...

Comments

First world problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Who the **** is Campbell Spray, a new form of tinned soup?

It's the usual bollox from that rag, different person dragging it from their ass and mashing it into the paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Its in the Motoring section. Say no more.

I almost got to the end of the first sentence. "There is a sense of entitlement developing among cyclists which is not very nice at all."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

a prior commentary from this lad...
    I'm nearly in agreement with the view of the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors at their annual conference that fluorescent clothing and helmets for cyclists should be made mandatory.

However, as gardai are already incredibly lax about policing cycling offences, such as no lights at night, breaking red lights, riding on footpaths, going the wrong way up one-way streets and many other dangerous practices, I have really big concerns that the suggestion is just an empty gesture.

so his only issue with mandatory hi-viz was that it wouldn't be enforced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bloody hell, that reads worse than a "Dear Sir" comment sent into the letters section.

"People need to be less stupid. I know it's controversial, but if people were just more considerate the world would be a nicer place".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭plodder

Curates egg. Some specific points he makes are worthy of discussion, but the generalising is just silly. Nobody says things like "the more motorists seem to be given, the more badly behaved many seem to be". More cars on the road leads to more congestion. More bikes on the road leads to more demand on motorists to share the space with cyclists. That's just a fact. Talk to the gardai about law enforcement.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If it gets people riled up, then he's done his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm curious about what seems to be this 'more' given to cyclists. In shall the years I've been cycling, I haven't seen anything 'more'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

Exactly. I wonder are papers getting a bigger readership from people who oppose this viewpoint than people who support it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It's #1 in the "Most read" list, so I guess he has

Now to await the inevitable punishment passes on the commute home...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

Ignoring the ridiculous "Lycra fraternity" remark, I do agree with his point on lights. I cycle through Rathmines a couple of times a week late in the evening (around 9/10pm).  I see lots of other cyclists, but the majority have no lights at all. Or if they do they have them, they're barely working.  The last evening I saw 14 bikes, 10 with no lights at all.
    Its a shame the point is lost in the other nonsense of the article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ThisRegard wrote: »

https://twitter.com/CampbellSpray/with_replies?lang=en

Ignoring the ridiculous "Lycra fraternity" remark, I do agree with his point on lights. I cycle through Rathmines a couple of times a week late in the evening (around 9/10pm).  I see lots of other cyclists, but the majority have no lights at all. Or if they do they have them, they're barely working.  The last evening I saw 14 bikes, 10 with no lights at all.
    Its a shame the point is lost in the other nonsense of the article.

aye... I had 3 brats coming at me the wrong way along the quays last night, completely dressed in black and no lights, but I ignored them as I knew they were just being obnoxious teens.

It's the lads in their 20s ninja-ing along who should know better that bug me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'm insulted by the Lycra Fraternity comment.

A correct term would be members of the "Lycra Fraternity & Sorority", as this includes our lady cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

That article really boiled my blood, I added it to the Journalism thread when I saw it.
    He first claims that he is a cyclist so he can legitimise his anti-cyclist rant - but then takes great pains to differentiate himself (sturdy steed) from another kind of cyclist (Lycra fraternity) that need to somehow "Cop on".

Strangely in the same paper Brendan O'Connor was in the Lifestyle on about cycling but was again at pains to differentiate himself (upright riding heavy steal bike) with others (angry rude racing types).

So even when people start to cycle they cannot bring themselves to stop compartmentalising and dehumanising other road users due to how they go about their travel. Sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Another mindless opinion piece from the Indo with not a single fact or figures, just anecdotes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Sure lookit, it's ok to generalise about people on bikes - they're ALL at it. No regard for anyone else. Don't pay road tax. Entitled so-and-sos, why don't they buy a car like every other grown-up?

But remember, only drunks drink and drive; not ALL drivers. It would be ridiculous to suggest that ALL drivers are at fault because of the actions of one or two drunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Moflojo wrote: »
    Sure lookit, it's ok to generalise about people on bikes - they're ALL at it. No regard for anyone else. Don't pay road tax. Entitled so-and-sos, why don't they buy a car like every other grown-up?

But remember, only drunks drink and drive; not ALL drivers. It would be ridiculous to suggest that ALL drivers are at fault because of the actions of one or two drunks.

Also of the 2 opinions the cycling was editorially positioned first as more important/attention grabbing and got the headline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

"The more that seems to be given to cyclists" ... let's all express our humble gratitude to Lord Spray for giving us permission to use his roads.

He is at pains to distance himself from the "Lycra fraternity".
    He also has another bike "for fast spins into the countryside".

So presumably, he'll be the guy you'll see belting along wearing a duffle coat and wellies the next time he's out on one of his "fast spins".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

The greatest depiction of entitlement in Irish society is without doubt car drivers. And it's not even close.

Disclaimer: I say this as an avid driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I'm curious about what seems to be this 'more' given to cyclists. In shall the years I've been cycling, I haven't seen anything 'more'.

more abuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

De Bhál wrote: »
    more abuse

More deaths maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Mmmmmmmm spray soup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I'm insulted by the Lycra Fraternity comment.

A correct term would be members of the "Lycra Fraternity & Sorority", as this includes our lady cyclists.
    Maybe he did mean only males. I have seen letters & plenty of posts before saying they do not mind being stuck behind women in lycra as basically they get to leer at them. But they are left horrified after seeing evidence that men do indeed have genitals, who'd have thunk it.
    There is a sense of entitlement developing among cyclists which is not very nice at all.
    I cycle to work about three times a week on my sturdy steed and I have another bike -

more like- There is a sense of entitlement developing among people claiming to own a bicycle which is not very nice at all.

i.e. they think this claim then entitles them to be a bigoted prick. Paul Williams was pulling the same trick. Like a black lad saying "I'm black so I can call you the N-word"

"I'm a cyclist so I can call you the C-word"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Off thread: Idiots on bikes without lights (in dark or twilight) should have their bikes confiscated there and then.

More off thread: The idiot I came across yesterday reversing up a motorway on-ramp should have his nice white car confiscated there and then. (M7 J12, seeing as you ask).

As Solzhenitsyn might muse, we all make mistakes, some cost lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Devils advocate - if cycling on the footpath is such a bad idea - then why are so many cycle lanes on footpaths? Bit of a mixed message.

Isn't it when you get splattered as the last bit of the lid snaps off?

"What's with all the red dots on your shirt?"

"I got Campbell Sprayed while opening this tomato soup"

Sounds like one for the Urban Dictionary...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Devils advocate - if cycling on the footpath is such a bad idea - then why are so many cycle lanes on footpaths? Bit of a mixed message.

Because the cycle paths are designed with this type of cyclist in mind....

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/six-year-old-boy-pushing-bike-14352218.jpg

rubadub wrote: »
    Maybe he did mean only males. I have seen letters & plenty of posts before saying they do not mind being stuck behind women in lycra as basically they get to leer at them. But they are left horrified after seeing evidence that men do indeed have genitals, who'd have thunk it.

more like- There is a sense of entitlement developing among people claiming to own a bicycle which is not very nice at all.

i.e. they think this claim then entitles them to be a bigoted prick. Paul Williams was pulling the same trick. Like a black lad saying "I'm black so I can call you the N-word"

"I'm a cyclist so I can call you the C-word"

Yes, this annoys me no end.

Similarly, you get these people who are anti-government here who refer to 'Paddy' all the time......and its like, but I'm Irish so I can say it......

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Because the cycle paths are designed with this type of cyclist in mind....

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/six-year-old-boy-pushing-bike-14352218.jpg

True -

I remember Fintan O'Toole writing an article whining about cyclists on footpaths - only a few years later it dawned on me that two principal traffic routes towards where he lives actually have bike paths on the footpath - i.e. that's what they are supposed to do.

And then if you don't go on the footpath, you get the @there's a perfectly good footpath and they wont go on them@ merchants.

Advertisement