Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice Rules

Options
  • 06-06-2017 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I have a question, my landlord has given me notice period that is more than the notice period needed - I'm already in process of getting a new place, do I need to wait for the whole notice period he's given me and pay the rent or can I leave sooner the date, what's the rules as well, do I need to send him any letter or how does it work?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Finbarr Murphy

If you want to move out sooner why don't you talk to your landlord. With the rental market the way it is at the moment I am sure that he'll be agreeable. You can hang the carrot of 'higher rents' in front of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dr.Silenec

If you want to move out sooner why don't you talk to your landlord. With the rental market the way it is at the moment I am sure that he'll be agreeable. You can hang the carrot of 'higher rents' in front of him.

I've tried that, but the landlord is not agreeing to that, cause they are going to be away until the September, sorry for not mentioning it earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Dr.Silenec wrote:
    I've tried that, but the landlord is not agreeing to that, cause they are going to be away until the September, sorry for not mentioning it earlier.

Then give him the required notice for you to leave. His can't supersede yours once it's the legal notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dr.Silenec

Then give him the required notice for you to leave. His can't supersede yours once it's the legal notice.

Do you mean just give my own notice that would be the required time or whenever I feel like leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

On what grounds has he asked you to leave? End of part IV? Wishes to sell, family member use or own use or substantial renovations?

I think it's very unreasonable for him to hold you to a significant notice period if you've found somewhere to move to. If he wishes to sell for instance and you say you can go sooner he should be delighted! In this market he'd find someone to move in to the place in no time at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Give the required notice from today as you want to leave. There are some recent threads here where somone has suggested that threshold have advised that you can leave earlier once youve been given the notice...as the notice should state "on or before..."...however i would not go by any advise Threshold give. Contact the RTB for advice,

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Give the required notice from today as you want to leave.
    Be careful though and make sure you are able to complete moving within your notice period.

Advertisement