Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Melon head

I failed the elective for the third time. I really feel the paper went well for me.. I did not think I would be on the wrong side again? I got a suffiency of 1 and am wondering am I far off? I got HC in assessment. Wondering what I should do. Don't think I can do this again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    Passed both thankfully, anyone know what the green blocks mean? Anyone got a link to what sufficiency and decile mean? :P Would like some more info.

Sufficiency I think is what % of the population you are in.

Yellow means you barely scraped a pass, green means you passed with daylight.

We file means what % of the population you came in. So decile one is the top 10%.

Melon head wrote: »
    I failed the elective for the third time. I really feel the paper went well for me.. I did not think I would be on the wrong side again? I got a suffiency of 1 and am wondering am I far off? I got HC in assessment. Wondering what I should do. Don't think I can do this again

The lower your sufficiency score the closer you are to passing.

I think but am not sure that sufficiency one means you are two points from a pass and if you can improve a BC to a c or a nc to a c you pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭John.burke

can you view scripts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭BMW22

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    Passed both thankfully, anyone know what the green blocks mean? Anyone got a link to what sufficiency and decile mean? :P Would like some more info

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BIGKID2

har
    hard luck, maybe chance elective

If I'm resitting in Januay can you resit the elective assessment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

John.burke wrote: »
    can you view scripts ?

Yes, for about 150 per paper. You get an hour or so and you can bring one person with you but have to leave your phone outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭BMW22

myshirt wrote: »
    Yes, for about 150 per paper. You get an hour or so and you can bring one person with you but have to leave your phone outside.

Is this a new thing because i was not allowed to view my script last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Glas134

This happened to me- just got the elective and sat for 4th time, if you want to PM ill tell you what happened...

Hard luck - you ll get it dont worry you ll get it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Tuk Tuk Darjeeling

What a journey, I have passed everything at the second go.

Decile 4 for core and Decile 2 for APM,

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

When will the result summary and board report be released? Hopefully today?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Suz711

@atticusFinch86
    Just off the phone with Chartered and the report should be up before 10am

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wave202

I passed both, I am delighted
    Thanks everyone for the notes, they were such a help to me

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wave202

Anyone knows when will be Board Report released?7

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭MrSzyslak

I passed! Got a decile of 2 for core and 1 for elective does that mean I barely passed? Delighted regardless ha

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dakerrymo

Anyone have very good Tax Elective notes they feel like sharing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

MrSzyslak wrote: »
    I passed! Got a decile of 2 for core and 1 for elective does that mean I barely passed? Delighted regardless ha
    No that means you were in the top 20% and the top 10% well done!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Melon head

Are your interim assesments result still up on your student portal? I did mine last year and it isnt there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Daisymoo91

Lads does anyone know what the pay increase is? can't find it on chartered website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Daisymoo91 wrote: »
    Lads does anyone know what the pay increase is? can't find it on chartered website.

Its not dictated by chartered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Chartered recommend a minimum increase, its under the information for training firms in the website somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Humour Me wrote: »
    Chartered recommend a minimum increase, its under the information for training firms in the website somewhere.

It's about 5k.

So you are supposed to start at minimum wage, plus c. 2k for Cap1, another 3 for Cap2, and 5 for fae. All in you shouldn't be on less than 30 post fae.

Now that the recession is over, most are above that anyway, so these guidelines do not really matter. Newly qualified is on about 50k once admitted and on the roll. Few recruiters frequent these parts so they will give you a guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kitten C 92

Suz711 wrote: »
    @atticusFinch86
    Just off the phone with Chartered and the report should be up before 10am

Any sign of this yet guys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Kitten C 92

Statistics

Board Report

Cool thank you! Is there a posting of top 10 placements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

can anyone send on there APM notes? Only just failed so overall happy enough! Now to do the resit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

Seems like a high amount failed elective over core? Strange i would have thought?

jus_tin4 wrote: »
    Seems like a high amount failed elective over core? Strange i would have thought?

About 35ish in my trainee intake, all passed except for 8 of us, and we all failed the elective

Atticus thank you for all your notes over the summer, i used them all in my core exams and was delighted to have passed core and elective. Really appreciate it, they were of great standard, and to be honest I hardly needed any other notes except yours. Thanks again. Will shake your hand if we ever meet

• Advertisement

MrSzyslak wrote: »
    You did extremely well

BIGKID2 wrote: »
    Atticus thank you for all your notes over the summer, i used them all in my core exams and was delighted to have passed core and elective. Really appreciate it, they were of great standard, and to be honest I hardly needed any other notes except yours. Thanks again. Will shake your hand if we ever meet

I am genuinely thrilled you got use out of them. That's thanks enough for me. You are extremely welcome.

I am genuinely thrilled you got use out of them. That's thanks enough for me. You are extremely welcome.

Dude you'd give chartered grinds a run for their money haha maybe you should start some kind of service, you're obviously passionate about helping others out :-D anyway big thanks from me too man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

94% pass rate for core !!! Hah what a load of crap I think my rate in year I passed was 65% approx

94% pass rate for core !!! Hah what a load of crap I think my rate in year I passed was 65% approx

As I said earlier, 35 people in my group and all passed the core, 8 failed elective.
    So 94% is realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Paulacc

I was hoping the letter would give more information on how exactly we did in each subject. Will we ever be given the number of Cs, BCs and NCs we got in each subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JimmyJamer12

The pass rate for my elective was the second lowest it's been since FAEs started in 2010.. a load of my friends didn't get their exams as a result and a lot of people on this message board didn't them either. we didn't set the pass rate, the institute does, so instead of going out of your way sh*tting on everyone else's parade, only in an attempt to make yourself feel better, how's about you strap yourself in, wish everyone who got their exams a big congratulations and everyone who didn't the best of luck with their repeats..

P.S. I hope Deli Alli rips Phil Jones a new one later today

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

94% pass rate because there is a shortage of CA's. Takes away the prestige.

Personally I'd prefer the pass rate was much lower. You wouldn't even see that level of pass rate in first year college exams. I know there's pressure from accountancy firms to churn out more accountants but it also means lower pay and less prestige for those that do qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

What the high pass rates means is a crap tonne of newly qualified CA will be out of contract come next oct or the following april all competing for the same jobs. It'll be the same for practice, think you'll be all promoted to AM.

Very low pass rates is nonsense as the group as a whole is very intelligent, but to have 90%+ pass rates will reflect poorly purely from a employers mind share point of view It's in everyone interests to keep the level of difficulty up to a certain standard, as colleges have faced the same problems with the level of 1st class honours creeping up through the years.

• Advertisement

Ye are both right - does it make any difference what score you actually got i.e. your decile rating. Like if you got H.C overall, it doesn't even give you that on the result, do we get a transcript at any stage?

still cant believe we did it, such a good feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Klegs

Firstly, congratulations to all of ye who passed! I am extremely jealous.

I failed both unfortunately. Decile 9 Sufficiency 0 in Core. I did not get the Business leadership module.

To be honest, I made a complete mess of the comprehensive paper from a BL perspective. If I recall correctly I misidentified the independence threats business leadership indicator as an audit indicator and my answer was not good. I suspect I got a NC or worse in this indicator and wouldn't complain if that was the case. Further, I did not even attempt the PESTEL indicator as I ran out of time.

However, I feel I made reasonable attempts at both Business Leadership indicators (SWOT analysis & business plan) on the sims papers and felt like I had a good chance of getting C's in both. On this basis, I am thinking of appealing for a recheck.

Has anyone got any opinions on the above? Am I wasting my time? Does the fact that I didn't attempt 1 BL indicator and made an extremely poor attempt at the other BL indicator in the comp paper impact the way in which a corrector will mark my other BL answers? Am I punished for rubbish attempts at 2 indicators?

What it boils down to in my head is that I needed to get 2 c's out of the 4 BL indicators given. Notwithstanding my poor attempts in comprehensive paper, I feel I gave sufficiently detailed answers applicable to the facts of the case studies in the SWOT and business plan indicators to get a C in both and therefore I should not have failed FAE Core. Any views would be greatly appreciated.

Klegs wrote: »
    Firstly, congratulations to all of ye who passed! I am extremely jealous.

I failed both unfortunately. Decile 9 Sufficiency 0 in Core. I did not get the Business leadership module.

To be honest, I made a complete mess of the comprehensive paper from a BL perspective. If I recall correctly I misidentified the independence threats business leadership indicator as an audit indicator and my answer was not good. I suspect I got a NC or worse in this indicator and wouldn't complain if that was the case. Further, I did not even attempt the PESTEL indicator as I ran out of time.

However, I feel I made reasonable attempts at both Business Leadership indicators (SWOT analysis & business plan) on the sims papers and felt like I had a good chance of getting C's in both. On this basis, I am thinking of appealing for a recheck.

Has anyone got any opinions on the above? Am I wasting my time? Does the fact that I didn't attempt 1 BL indicator and made an extremely poor attempt at the other BL indicator in the comp paper impact the way in which a corrector will mark my other BL answers? Am I punished for rubbish attempts at 2 indicators?

What it boils down to in my head is that I needed to get 2 c's out of the 4 BL indicators given. Notwithstanding my poor attempts in comprehensive paper, I feel I gave sufficiently detailed answers applicable to the facts of the case studies in the SWOT and business plan indicators to get a C in both and therefore I should not have failed FAE Core. Any views would be greatly appreciated.
    If you think you got 2 competants you can try an appeal.

I've heard people say what you said about being punished before for bad indicators. I've also heard of people who felt that they got a competants and three basic competants who felt that they were bumped up to competant in one of the basic competants because they didnt do badly on the other indicators in the subject.

appeal it

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Johnny236

I would appeal it also. But to gain a c answer you need to state a conclusion and if you did that you should definately appeal. I’m only saying this because I think cai will use that as leverage.

I had the same worry about my paper also but if u think ur unfairly done by, I would definately appeal. You have nothing to lose buddy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Klegs

Johnny236 wrote: »
    I would appeal it also. But to gain a c answer you need to state a conclusion and if you did that you should definately appeal. I’m only saying this because I think cai will use that as leverage.

I had the same worry about my paper also but if u think ur unfairly done by, I would definately appeal. You have nothing to lose buddy :)

Yeah the conclusion could be the tricky part. I cannot recall if I did a conclusion for either indicator. Like you say, I have nothing to lose so i will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Willoflood

Is there a difference between a recheck and an appeal?

I got a sufficiency of 2 in the elective. Probably a bit optimistic to appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 14 D.92

Willoflood wrote: »
    Is there a difference between a recheck and an appeal?

I got a sufficiency of 2 in the elective. Probably a bit optimistic to appeal
    wondering the same got 2 aswell...anyone have any thoughts??

• Advertisement

just get the head down and u will be fine next time around, what elective u doing? i really would advise anyone doing a repeat at xmas to use the wonderful material atticus finch provided over the summer. know that back to front and you cant fail

Advertisement