Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good places to run barefoot

Options
  • 06-06-2017 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Anyone? I'm thinking the green by Claddagh beach could be good, or perhaps even on the pathway for pedestrians and cyclists.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Anyone? I'm thinking the green by Claddagh beach could be good, or perhaps even on the pathway for pedestrians and cyclists.

I don't know where you mean by Claddagh beach, but you should be aware that the park in Claddagh (South Park) is built on the site of the old City dump and people have apparently been injured by debris from the dump working its way up to the soil surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

turnikett1 wrote: »

Cappagh Park or Dangan would be good bets

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

The track in westside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

The running track in Dangan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Foxx92 wrote:
    Cappagh Park or Dangan would be good bets

I see a fellow regularly run barefooted in Dangan not just the track but everywhere around the (stoney) path areas. I've also seen him swimming in the river in all kinds of weather. Some kind of superhuman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

How long have you been running barefoot?

The prom (including up to Mutton Island) is great for building up distance with its clean and smooth surface.

If you're running on grass remember that you cannot see what you're stepping on - not great if you're not confident.

After you've built up confidence and distance, start running on the road that doesn't have too coarse chip seal. You'll notice a difference and will adjust your gait but will find it's not too different than the prom.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is it actual barefoot or one of those weird sock things?

My suggestion is to not run on very hard surfaces like road tarmac etc. Your feet aren't made for prolonged impact like that.
    Stick to grass, beaches and running tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

biko wrote: »
    Is it actual barefoot or one of those weird sock things?

My suggestion is to not run on very hard surfaces like road tarmac etc. Your feet aren't made for prolonged impact like that.
    Stick to grass, beaches and running tracks.

The OP asked for barefoot so that is what my answer is based on.

OP, if you're interested in building up barefoot-running ability, there is no harm doing it on tarmac or concrete.
    After all, you can't run forever on beaches or grass.

I guess what Biko is hinting at is to be mindful about the initial duration/distance/intensity.
    You will need to adjust your gait - perhaps you've done so already if you've been running in minimal shoes (zero drop, etc) up to now.

Assuming that you know what you're doing, your skin and your sensors in your feet will build up over time. Join a barefoot running group on Facebook is a good way to harvest additional feedback.

Most importantly, enjoy and have fun.

Advertisement