Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY - Headliner Solutions.

• 06-06-2017 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,
    Hope everybody's keeping well, newbie to the forum here. I'm looking for some suggestions for some work ongoing. I'm doing a bit of a refurb on my 23ft cabin cruiser, floating restoration if you will. It's previous owner had replaced the factory headlining with T&G panelling, it's never been satisfactory and when, due to condensation, it expanded and popped out of place.

I've taken that out and I'm left with the bare GRP ceiling and perhaps half a dozen strips of the old Wainscot/bead board style panelling (used to screw the T&G in) and a couple of lumps of "No More Nails" or something similar. So I'm wondering about a replacement... What have others used? Can that ceiling material keep condensation down? Cost? Longevity/maintenance?

At the moment I'm considering glassing in 25mm. sq timber strips and attaching either 4-6mm plywood in 3 or 4 sheets. I'd prefer bead board but am having trouble sourcing it. Is there anything else I can use? Which is going to be easier to install, plywood sheets? timber strips?

Any suggestions would be more than welcome!

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi Gupta Singh and welcome, have a look through my post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057583016 I used leatherette and foam sheets in the main cabin and foam and timber in the V berth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gupta Singh

Thanks for that Fergal. I spotted that boat moored in Lakeside last year. You've done an incredible job since, lots of interesting stuff and great ideas going on there. Love the sides and ceiling in the front cabin too! Is there a name for that planking? If I was asking for it somewhere...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

[QUOTE=Gupta Singh; Love the sides and ceiling in the front cabin too! Is there a name for that planking? If I was asking for it somewhere...[/QUOTE]

The white stuff on the sides is just bathroom pvc tongue and groove from B&Q and the timber is just scrap timber cut into stripes and glued together. You could also look for car headliner on eBay it's perforated so might be better for condensation also add as many vents as you can the more air moving around the cabin the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

There are arguements for retaining the grp and painting the area for weight purposes, head height etc. For wetrooms I'd keep it bare and paint over a gloss finish / gelcoat.
    I've seen some headliners with a shag-like carpet or thick cord like the stuff on some couches? For noise and heat retention apparently??
    Ireland being so tropical at times :P moisture will always be a big issue, particularly condensation, maybe a laminate over the plywood and a good sealant over the plywood to lock out any moisture if it's not fitted perfect?
    My boat is covered in the pleather foam and teak paneling, looked great but the areas of less ventilation are starting to show they're losing the war against moisture pockets after circa 30years (I think). It's even in the headlining of the washroom and I've had to rip that out. The foam backing makes it a filthy job to do unless it's heated as it's like sawdust now as it reveals. I'm pursuing a good fitter to supply a laminate sheet, he's siding with the paint/gelcoat finish idea as it's fiddly to fit etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Hi and welcome
    I did a re-line on two boats shown in my thread, using ply sheet and fabric. A vinyl material I tried first was harder to get a tidy finish on and added hugely to the condensation issues mentioned.
    The fabric is warmer, softer and no condensation issues. Keep asking questions, lots of opinion and information on here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement