Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair seating policy changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Eh, sorry, that's the case. I've now flown 5 flights in the last few months, most recently two on July 5th, and I - as an adult accompanying my 11-year old - had to choose a seat with him, but the cost to me was €0.00. Both seats were €0.00. Clear? Have you flown with an under-12?

Now if I wanted to pay for my wife and teenage daughter to sit with us the best I could do was €13 each per flight = €52 for the two flights. There were no seats available for less than €13 at the time I checked in. There may have been had I chosen to buy seats earlier, which I refuse to do. In the end we were separated by 10 or more rows both flighs, but in the first flight the wife and daughter were in rows 10 and 11 and in the second one it gave us 3 seats together (1 with the adult and 11-year old).

I have, and in my fare there was "additional adult seat €4" on the bottom of my fare, which is immediately added before selecting the seats.

Just go make a dummy booking there, and I'm sure you'll understand what I'm saying.

My last flight was last month.

Right, I'll go check again in a minute, and if I'm wrong, I'll retract my statement, however I certainly had to pay for an adult seat on my last flight.

No need to be an arse about it Gaoth, not like you ever get things wrong either :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

CeilingFly wrote: »
    That's a very strange decision.

I went to Leeds last week - took the Ryanair fare, added €2 and that was cheaper than aer lingus.

My return was aer lingus - yes I could choose a "free" seat, but couldn't check in until 30 hours beforehand unless I paid a premium.

Both have their negatives.

Do Aer Lingus fly to Leeds?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I have, and in my fare there was "additional adult seat €4" on the bottom of my fare, which is immediately added before selecting the seats.

Just go make a dummy booking there, and I'm sure you'll understand what I'm saying.

Was the booking just you and the kid or were there other adults too? If it's just you then maybe that's why you paid.

Yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

I think with Ryanair it depends where you chose to sit on the plane ...if you sit at the front, you pay for a seat when with a child...back rows, no charge... that's the way it was around Easter time when I flew anyways.... so technically, ye could both be right :)

• Advertisement

Yes?

Ah, is this new or has it always been there?

Was the booking just you and the kid or were there other adults too? If it's just you then maybe that's why you paid.

Was a family of 5! About to check now as I'm very confused.

Also, EI to Leeds has been there with at least a few years. Don't recall when it was started exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Was a family of 5! About to check now as I'm very confused.

Plus, EI to Leeds has been there with at least a few years.

Maybe they've changed it recently to tighten it up and my booking slipped through the net, but I've checked our base fares and they did not go up, maybe they do now

Right, I'll go check again in a minute, and if I'm wrong, I'll retract my statement, however I certainly had to pay for an adult seat on my last flight.

No need to be an arse about it Gaoth, not like you ever get things wrong either :);)

Not being an arse, but when someone comes out and says you're plain wrong about something that you've only done a few days ago then I have a right to reply.

Erik Shin wrote: »
    I think with Ryanair it depends where you chose to sit on the plane ...if you sit at the front, you pay for a seat when with a child...back rows, no charge... that's the way it was around Easter time when I flew anyways.... so technically, ye could both be right :)

I do remember that there were several rows allocated to these free adult with child seats (I think tows 22-28). I would have had to pay had I wanted to sit out of these rows.

• Advertisement

Right, I'm booking a dummy flight to Lanzarote for 1 adult and 1 child at the moment, and I'm met with this message.

"Good news! Free reserved seats for children under 12

At least one adult on this booking must buy a reserved seat, but up to 4 children (under 12) will get reserved seats"

Upon selecting the fare, it says €64.79 +€4 for adult seat(s)*. Same for the return fare.
    Flight costs €64.79 out and €152.99 back, which makes it €435.56 in total for 2 passengers.

Flight immediately comes in at €443.56 once selected, which is +€8, hence they charge you for an adult seat before even selecting the seats.

Hence, I can confirm they charge you for an adult seat.

*If you would like to check, it's Shannon to Lanzarote, 18th to 28th August*

N.B, this is on a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Just checked this myself and yep the auto adult seat cost is added now, it deffo wasn't when I booked ours last month, base fares were 14.99 each way and they stayed the same

I must have been lucky so for a change lol

Right, I'm booking a dummy flight to Lanzarote for 1 adult and 1 child at the moment, and I'm met with this message.

At least one adult on this booking must buy a reserved seat, but up to 4 children (under 12) will get reserved seats"

Upon selecting the fare, it says €64.79 +€4 for adult seat(s)*. Same for the return fare.
    Flight costs €64.79 out and €152.99 back, which makes it €435.56 in total for 2 passengers.

Flight immediately comes in at €443.56 once selected, which is +€8, hence they charge you for an adult seat before even selecting the seats.

We'll I didn't pay anything. And at check in I selected the allocated rows and still paid nothing, but I could have had I wanted to sit up front, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭rameire

this is the way it has been since late last year,
    it looks like a free adult seat but the 4 euro charge for the "free adult" is added before seat selection.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    this is the way it has been since late last year,
    it looks like a free adult seat but the 4 euro charge for the "free adult" is added before seat selection.

Not for me it wasn't.

Not being an arse, but when someone comes out and says you're plain wrong about something that you've only done a few days ago then I have a right to reply.

They seem to do it in a sneaky way, so not surprising that it's missed. I've definitely seen it before though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,705 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It's Aer Lingus Regional (Stobart Air).

They seem to do it in a sneaky way, so not surprising that it's missed. I've definitely seen it before though!

I'm up to their sneakiness and watch every pound shilling and cent when I'm booking. I did not - and will not - pay them anything for a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

If there isn't much in it, I'd fly with someone else now. The seat nonsense is on top of all the other nonsense on a Ryanair flight such as pushing food and drink, pushing scratch cards, playing that awful "We landed on time" music at the end of a flight.

Surprising that they have willingly tossed their friendly approach of recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

This definitely puts me off flying Ryanair. Not so much because they are trying to make you purchase seats now, I usually do that anyway; but because if I do pay for seat selection there is a good chance someone will ask me to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    If there isn't much in it, I'd fly with someone else now. The seat nonsense is on top of all the other nonsense on a Ryanair flight such as pushing food and drink, pushing scratch cards, playing that awful "We landed on time" music at the end of a flight.

Surprising that they have willingly tossed their friendly approach of recent times.

Yup, wife and baby flew back to Dublin yesterday. Cityjet from London city airport was £6 more than Ryanair from Stansted when luggage and seats added. Much more convenient airport. Free snacks too, the baby had great fun with a bag of crackers. All in, a much more enjoyable experience.

theteal wrote: »
    Yup, wife and baby flew back to Dublin yesterday. Cityjet from London city airport was £6 more than Ryanair from Stansted when luggage and seats added. Much more convenient airport. Free snacks too, the baby had great fun with a bag of crackers. All in, a much more enjoyable experience.

If you included getting to/from the airports in London in the fare comparison, which is relevant, what would the fare difference be?

I'd wager that London City was cheaper in your case!

People tend to leave the transport cost out when looking at the fares!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

lxflyer wrote: »
    If you included getting to/from the airports in London in the fare comparison, which is relevant, what would the fare difference be?

I flew to LCY from DUB last year for €40 which included a checked bag and a drink/snack. Ryanair to Gatwick or Stansted was around €30 for the basic fare. If you add on the train fare of around £15 from LGW/STN, CityJet is clearly cheaper.

I've sometimes wondered why anyone flying DUB-LCY would ever fly BA CityFlyer unless you're flying in business class. CityJet are consistently cheaper and their base fare includes a checked bag and a snack/drink where BA do not include any of this as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

O'Leary said on the Joe Duffy show that adults have to pay to sit beside under 12s.
    Parents expressed concern that they had to pay to sit beside children under the age of 12.

Mr O'Leary said: “If the child is under 12 the reserve seat is free. You have to pay for your own seat because we require you to sit beside the child. They will not be allowed to make the booking otherwise.”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Cityjet are great, their flexible fare can sometime be gotten at a similar price to the economy fare. Well worth looking into.

London City Airport is great too.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    O'Leary said on the Joe Duffy show that adults have to pay to sit beside under 12s.

They do, as confirmed by my example above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

grogi wrote: »
    Some people are pricks, that's all. A reasonable person would ask and if refused finished the discussion.

You're missing the point, people shouldn't have to put up with other people hassling them to give up a seat they've specifically selected and paid for because someone else chose not to regardless of whether the person requesting the swap is a 'prick' or not.

It doesn't bother me, I've never paid extra to choose a seat as I don't care where I sit but people shouldn't be made to feel uncomfortable about having to decline a request to swap.

This is a deliberate Ryanair policy, they should be made to deal with the problems that arise out of it. Charge people for a seat, allocate a random seat, I don't really care but put a warning to customers that they won't be allowed switch seats after boarding and that should be the end of it.

It was good to hear MOL back to his old ways on the radio yesterday, this new touchy-feely Ryanair was really creeping me out.
    I take it Kenny Jacobs must be away on his holidays...? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

lxflyer wrote: »

In our case, that would be ~£8 petrol to Stansted versus maybe ~£10 for 2 adult oyster fares to LCY so it's much of a muchness on that front. I hopped on a DLR straight to work near Bank station so it was the added convenience too.

Ordinarily though, had I been flying with them we probably would have driven to Stansted and then been hit with the scandalous parking charges there - they're always sending me discount codes but that's still ~£35 for a weekend. I'll need to do a proper comparison the next time I'm booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

VG31 wrote: »
    This definitely puts me off flying Ryanair. Not so much because they are trying to make you purchase seats now, I usually do that anyway; but because if I do pay for seat selection there is a good chance someone will ask me to move.
    You don't have to move. Say nothing or politely refuse and point out that you looked at Ryanair's seat options and chose to buy your seat. End of story.

If the cabin crew try to force you to move (not likely as then all that MOL said live multiple times on RTE yesterday about choice would be negated) just refuse, continue to read your newspaper and, if they call security, tell them you will become Ryanair's Dr. Dao.

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    In our case, that would be ~£8 petrol to Stansted versus maybe ~£10 for 2 adult oyster fares to LCY so it's much of a muchness on that front. I hopped on a DLR straight to work near Bank station so it was the added convenience too.

Ordinarily though, had I been flying with them we probably would have driven to Stansted and then been hit with the scandalous parking charges there - they're always sending me discount codes but that's still ~£35 for a weekend. I'll need to do a proper comparison the next time I'm booking.

This is the thing - people often don't do proper cost comparisons where there are multiple airports to choose from, and London is the classic example. Travel costs to and from the airport should always form part of the equation when looking at the various options.

Advertisement