Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair seating policy changes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    They do, as confirmed by my example above.
    Well some people were refusing to take you word for it so I thought a confirmation from the boss might help your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Well some people were refusing to take you word for it so I thought a confirmation from the boss might help your case.

I wouldn't mind but that's where the original disagreement came from!

Really? Looks like it's been put to rest now so.

Anyway, Ryanair can make the change to boost revenue and claim that people should stop whinging and pay up if they want a seat and they have a point to an extent but the fact is they've made a fundamental change to the customer experience and have drastically reduced it for a lot of people.

It looks like it's even having a negative effect on those who do pay the extra as people have to deal with stroppy requests to move or wait longer to disembark due to people and luggage potentially being scattered throughout the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

On June 21st I booked two flights for one day at the end of August. One adult travelling with one under 12 and 1 teen. Paid no seat fares at all for for any passenger for either flight, and what's more I was already allocated the seats - all together - in the confirmation emails...seats 27A, B & C...for both flights! So I already know my seats, they're all together, both flights, and I paid nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ah Jeez......close it off mods. It's like kindergarten now.

The Ryanair seating policy changes and its permutations has been beaten to death here.

Jaysus wept!

Did you expect something else in a thread with this title?

Yet again, the common boards user policy of "I don't like this discussion so we should close it"

If ya don't like it, don't read it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

On June 21st I booked two flights for one day at the end of August. One adult travelling with one under 12 and 1 teen. Paid no seat fares at all for for any passenger for either flight, and what's more I was already allocated the seats - all together - in the confirmation emails...seats 27A, B & C...for both flights! So I already know my seats, they're all together, both flights, and I paid nothing!

Here's is one of the confirmation emails. Sorry, rows were not both 27 for the two flights but the seats were together for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Tinker13

Booking return flights to Malaga for two adults in September. We want to sit together so we will each have to pay €6 each - sitting at back of plane - and add that to the fare. (No €2 option available).
    Compared it to Aer Lingus and found a similar price so have chosen them instead. Not a big deal but I think this might be a warning to travellers that Ryanair won't be trusted not to produce a hidden 'gotcha'...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Was on a flight from Germany yesterday. Everyone changing seats while boarding.

Flying alone, I didn't care about my seat as long as I had an aisle or window so was quite happy to help other passengers. I think I changed twice until I got my final seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

I can see someone refusing to move from a seat they've paid for unless the crew refund them , or worse. put it this way Corporate have put a nasty problem onto the cabin crew here and sooner or later it will spill over into a massive problem with some really bad media for FR , the only ways to stop the rot are forcing people into assigned seats, or returning to free-for-all seating ( never happen due to ancillary rev pressures )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Tenger wrote: »
    A couple more images to prove that Ryanair overbook their flights:

the overbookings numbers suggest they could and probably are, infants <2 years old who dont have their own seat.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

the overbookings numbers suggest they could and probably are, infants <2 years old who dont have their own seat.
    Nope. Figures given were for seats booked. Infants >2 yrs are not counted. They show up in addition to the booked seat.
    ie. 189 +4 on load sheet.

whatever about late checkin that other one of avoiding the bag tag is going to lead to mayhem and is just plain irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Una is full of it as always! Cabin and ground crew know when 90 cabin bags are on board and just stop every bag after that, nothing new or reveloutionaty, flight she was on was probably low pax and they were not too strict on it.

As for the seats, FR will generate more revenue, selling multiple €2 and 7€ seats than a limited number of €15 seats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Blut2

They're just going to have to start physically taking bags off people instead of tagging them and asking people to put them on the trolly themselves, I'd say. Pretty easy remedy.

I had the bag tagging problem with cityjet a few months ago and I was livid.

I was the first person at the gate and they came around after 10 minutes saying all wheely bags must go in the hold as the flight was full. I politely said I did not wish to hand mine in but was told it was the pilots orders. Again I said I was not happy with the situation but gave in after a few minutes of getting nowhere.

I feel uncomfortable getting into a heated argument at an airport gate. It feels like you're one wrong word from being disallowed from boarding.

Maybe that's just me being Paranoid.

Why make their life more difficult ? Those avros have notoriously small bins and they were just trying to sort it out. If the pilot says it thats the end of the line .

Theres many things wrong with the process but not that bit of it.

Because it's the first time I had heard of them using that method of limiting cabin baggage. If it's their official policy then that's fine. It would also be fine if I didn't get on the plane and see plenty of wheely bags already there.

The pilots orders line sounded like a convenient way to try sort the situation out.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,705 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Could they not do what I've seen both BA and EI do at Heathrow and that's force the people to leave the bag (tagged) behind the desk at the gate and get the baggage handlers to take them from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,705 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well that rules that out so!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The captains word is law.
    True. But there was a good chance tge Ciryjet aircraft commander didnt specfically get involved in cabin baggage discussion on the day or they may not have even been at the aircraft yet.
    Company operational precedure would be my term. And all pax agree fo comply with directions of staff and airline policy as part of the Ts&Cs anyway!!

Im going with Cityjet next week....must keep my bag small!!!!

Tenger wrote: »
    True. But there was a good chance tge Ciryjet aircraft commander didnt specfically get involved in cabin baggage discussion on the day or they may not have even been at the aircraft yet.
    Company operational precedure would be my term. And all pax agree fo comply with directions of staff and airline policy as part of the Ts&Cs anyway!!

Im going with Cityjet next week....must keep my bag small!!!!
    Exactly. The pilot hadn't got there yet as I had randomly picked that gate to sit at once I got to the airport. So unless that pilot is known for using this policy or he had left orders ahead of his arrival it was a member of staff using the 'pilot says' card to make her life easier.

I've been on plenty of full flights with cityjet and this has never been suggested before. The return flight was full and it wasn't the case.

I have genuine reasons as to why getting separated from luggage is a bit of a problem which is why I arrive at the gate super early to ensure that I'm able to bring my luggage on board.

I tend to pack laptop and valuables in a daysack that doesn't go into the hold and will fit in the overheads or under the seat in front , the rest in another bag that will go in the hold if needed ... if it is that important to you why not do the same ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I had the bag tagging problem with cityjet a few months ago and I was livid.

I was the first person at the gate and they came around after 10 minutes saying all wheely bags must go in the hold as the flight was full. I politely said I did not wish to hand mine in but was told it was the pilots orders. Again I said I was not happy with the situation but gave in after a few minutes of getting nowhere.

I feel uncomfortable getting into a heated argument at an airport gate. It feels like you're one wrong word from being disallowed from boarding.

Maybe that's just me being Paranoid.
    I quite like flying with Cityjet but what really annoys me is the fact that they hold you onboard on arrival until they retrieve the ramp checked baggage from the hold to place at the foot of the steps.
    I was travelling with hand baggage only and I missed my connecting flight recently because the A/C was late being towed onto stand for the early morning departure so we were late leaving, then all held onboard while they got the bags out. By the time I got to the gate for my next flight it was closed.
    They gave me a voucher for a snack and a bus ticket to Orly to catch the next flight...

trellheim wrote: »
    I tend to pack laptop and valuables in a daysack that doesn't go into the hold and will fit in the overheads or under the seat in front , the rest in another bag that will go in the hold if needed ... if it is that important to you why not do the same ?
    From now on I will be doing that on any flight I feel may be at full capacity now that I know this could happen. I was just taken by surprise and wasn't prepared.

And I will inevitably feel a little aggrieved when I get to a gate early and get told I have to put my bag in the hold then to see people stroll up 20 minutes later and walk straight onto the plane with theirs because the staff have already done their rounds and are comfortable they have enough luggage in the hold.

• Advertisement

Slightly irritated that Una has advertised the last minute check in trick. I have been using that with some success recently...

I am still surprised that there isn't more concern about this from a safety perspective. Imagine a similar situation to the Manchester Airport disaster, you could write the report after the event yourself right now: "the inquiry found that the airlines policy of separating travelling companions led to serious difficulties during emergency evacuation as passengers attempted to find loved ones and get them to safety".

You don't plan seating arrangements on a plane anticipating accidents, indeed you might consider it a positive pleasure not to sit next to your 13 year old daughter for the duration of a 2 hour flight. But you can be damn sure you'll go looking for her when the cabin is filling with smoke. I know some people will always separated, and some people might choose not to sit together, but I think it is irresponsible to do it deliberately. The relevant authorities DO need to anticipate things going wrong and making sure evacuation will always be as speedy as possible.

Advertisement