Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Toys/Dolls does your 2.5yr old girl play with?

Options
  • 06-06-2017 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I'm wondering what to buy our 2.5yearvokd girl. She has lots of books and jigsaws, a baby doll, etch a sketch, colouring books, wooden blocks, etc... but I think she's getting bored of these. What does your 2.5year old child play with? Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

2.75 yr old girl here.
    At the moment, a Beanie Toys penguin and cat that go EVERYWHERE with her.

She still loves bathing her doll, in a any basin, pot or sink she can access (we're thinking about getting her a doll's bath, but seems a bit ridiculous; check back with me by her birthday, she'll have one :( ).
    Also, plays with her IKEA kitchen every day.
    We picked up a second hand Little Tikes Cosy Cottage recently. Our daughter already loves it, but hasn't had the chance to be out playing with it that much due to the weather (when she's a little bit bigger she can run in and out whenever she wants, even if it's raining).
    We picked up a gardening tool kit in Aldi a while back, in good weather she'll wander the garden watering plants and 'digging' with her trowels.
    Doctor's set, she checks out, and gives injections toys, her toys, teddies, dolls.
    Dress up dresses. Mostly princess and fairy based at the moment (her choice).

(above makes it sound like we have a lot of 'stuff', maybe we do... :) )

I think things with some element of physical and/or imaginative play are great for encouraging development, and tend to have more longevity.
    It really depends on your own daughter's interests and aptitudes. Ours will sit and read books for ages, still isn't that physically capable, in terms of climbing, jumping etc, but will run around the garden for hours.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Actuallly less is more.Encourages imaginative play.We have two and one year old girls.Items in our house that are permanently out are Ikea kitchen, Ikea table and two chairs, a Happyland fairy tree house from mothercare (they both love that), duplo blocks, sticker books, a blackboard and chalk, and books....books are everywhere!...crayons and colouring books.Also a scooter for the bigger one and a small trike for the younger one.We do have dolls and buggies too, but no.1 has limited interest-however no.2 loves them.We also have a doctor's set, a small toolbox, and princess dressup clothes too.

There is a large box with wooden trains and tracks in them,mostly ikea ones, but they don't come out too often.We have a junior trampoline in the garden, a slide and a sandtable....our pair are very outdoors, and the garden gets plenty of use.There are other small random items that get pulled out but not played with much, those things would be the main ones.I gave uo on having separate toys for the baby, she just plays with everything the older one has!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I've a 2.5 year old boy whose mainstays currently are:
    -Ikea Kitchen (all day everyday)
    -Dolls house (got a wooden one for a 10e on adverts and did it up with furniture). He has a firemen theme going on with it at the moment
    -plastic Lawnmower ('I mow like grandad')
    -wooden fire engine, electronic helicopter and little men for rescues
    -fisher price laugh and learn chair plus tons of books
    -ikea wooden table and chair plus colours etc
    -scout and a ton of the ikea animal teddies who are 'best friends' and he does play acting with them and cuddles when he hurts himself/gets frustrated

Oh and outside the aforementioned lawnmower, sandpit plus relevant toys, his slide and his tractor. All are adored and get played with one after another for hours

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A just 3 year old here.
    She loves her wooden dolls house,Play doh,her ikea kitchen,sand,water,fire engines,loves the scooter that she got for her 3rd birthday ,her balance bike,lego(with the older siblings) and duplo,she loves baking and making chocolate crispy buns,she loves ponies and spends hours playing role play games with them and brushing their hair.
    I forgot the tool bench,all 4 of them still play with it and love it.
    She will try to climb anything and loves building forts and tents with the brother and sisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Favourites of the moment are;
    Playdough
    Cuddly R2D2
    bogstandard teddy
    Duplo
    Various thomas toys
    Cuddly dalek
    Cuddly pokemon
    Winnie the pooh teddies
    Baby dolls & buggy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Favourites here for our 3 year old are:

Duplo

Tea Set

Paints

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Are my two the only kids that have an abundance of toys but would much rather play with pots pans cups bowls sweeping brush and basically every household item over their toys??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Don't have kids myself but recently bought this for my niece who is two
    https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/outdoor/play-houses-and-tents/kid-active-pop-up-tunnel/p/101810
    and I can't tell you how much she loves it. She literally goes mad for it. It's handy as it can be folded up and put away so doesn't take up too much space. It's hard to know what to get them when they have everything. I find she has interest in everything for about ten minutes and then gets bored, but she loves the tunnel for some reason.

I also got her a pop up tent and she loves that too. She loves Tellytubbies so I got her a few of those teddies. At that age they're hard to buy for because they're too old for the baby things but not old enough yet for the bigger toys which require more skill and creativity to be able to get the most from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭veggie newbie

anna080 wrote: »
    Ato that age they're hard to buy for because they're too old for the baby things but not old enough yet for the bigger toys which require more skill and creativity to be able to get the most from them.

Exactly my problem. She still seems more into books than anything else, most other toys she's bored of after 10mins. Very interesting to read what the other little ones are into. Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭veggie newbie

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Are my two the only kids that have an abundance of toys but would much rather play with pots pans cups bowls sweeping brush and basically every household item over their toys??

They're not alone. Our little ones fav game at the mo is washing dishes... long may it last!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

My 2 and half year old boy loves;
    Screwdrivers
    Hammers
    Washing anything at the sink
    Stickle bricks ( cheaper version from Heatons)
    Bucket and spade
    Sweeping brush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

My 2 and half year old boy loves;
    Screwdrivers
    Hammers
    Washing anything at the sink
    Stickle bricks ( cheaper version from Heatons)
    Bucket and spade
    Sweeping brush

Oh and his 'lawnmower' I.e. His sister's toy buggy!

Advertisement