Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 30 - Stopped driving for a few years and lost no claims - getting insurance

Options
  • 06-06-2017 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi there,

I am 31, and stopped driving a few years ago, and decided recently to get back on the road. Problem is, in the 4 years since I came off the road, insurance regulations seem to have changed a lot. The first thing I found out was that being off the road for so long means I lost my NCB. The next thing that knocked me back was being over 30. 
    I have gotten 3 denial letters from 3 insurance companies and sent it to the Insurance Ireland people. I know that this will essentially force one of these companies to give me a quote, but my question is, does anyone have any experience with dealing with this method, and if so, was the quote ridiculously unreasonable?
    Does anyone know of any way to get a quote? Any companies that throw a lifeline to people in my situation.
    Particulars:
    Licence type: Provisional
    No experience (technically, since my NCB is gone)
    Max engine size I'd be insuring: 1.4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Having you tried any brokers instead of insurance companies?

For example chill will check 13/14 companies against there underwritting information. Rather then axa just been axa.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sort your licence out 1st would be a big help.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Hi there,
    Particulars:
    Licence type: Provisional
    No experience (technically, since my NCB is gone)
    Max engine size I'd be insuring: 1.4

Similar

29, Male, 1.4 2006 car with provisional is €2200 & 2 years NCB. Its the provisional thats not helping. Waiting for a test date to get full licence (Failed first time). I barely use the car, only have it for desperate situations and practice.

As for a reasonable quote with a provisional, €2500.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MinxOfInsolence

@sonyvision - Spoke to a broker just now, cheapest i could get was €4460 and thats with a full licence. Apparently, the 2 things working against me are the Provisional and the year of the car I'm looking into insuring (2006 VW Passat).
    @punisher5112 - that was the first thing I did, not an amateur :)
    @Heart Break Kid - You're still ok because you have NCB and you are 29, so not over 30. If you were over 30 and didnt have the NCB, you'd be in my position, I.E. screwed :)

That is a shocking amount OP!! If you bought a 2007 car would that reduce it or 2008? Just as a metter of interest.

Can't say I am in your shoes but if you can just swap to a motorcycle. Insurance fully comp on a provisional was only 399 on a mid size bike 600cc at 24. Name yourself on a family policy or can you add a full license driver on with you.

• Advertisement

@sonyvision - yeah apparently if its under 10 years old (2008 upwards) it would be cheaper. I looked into doing the named driver thing with my mums insurance. If I made her the policy holder on a car i buy and made myself the named driver, it would be very cheap, but is apparently an illegal thing called "Fronting". And since she lives in Kilkenny and I am based in Dublin, as will the car, there is a chance of being caught, which can incur fines, bans and in some cases prison time :(

I agree OP, it is illegal.

If you name your mam on your policy who might be driving it from time to time? When she visits of course or some reason your in kk and she is driving your car.

Can you survive without a car for the time been and do the lessons?

I know AIG has this drive safe app, my current insurance company saves me a few pound on a renewal (not 100% sure if you tried or if they will offer?

@sonyvision - yeah I can survive without but its becoming harder now that we have a small child at home. So I figured now was the time to get back on the road. But they really have made things a lot more difficult since I stopped driving..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 JtByrne

Add your mother as a named driver - having a named driver on your policy usually brings down the price.
    You need to have a policy in your own name to build up a no claims bonus so even if you did decide to get named on your mothers policy (fronting) you wouldnt build up your own no claims bonus - so you're right to not go with that.
    Having a car over 10 years usually brings up the price because older cars are seen a more dangerous - poorer brakes than new cars etc.

If you're looking for a quote in a situation like this you need to ring the insurance companies and don't just do quotes online so that you can discuss your individual circumstances. I know that Kennco insurance take old driving history into account even if your no claims bonus has expired.

Good luck!

Advertisement