Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High-capacity external HDD

Options
  • 06-06-2017 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for an external drive with a 2 or 3 TB, or more.

Any deals going around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

mrcheez wrote: »
    Looking for an external drive with a 2 or 3 TB, or more.

Any deals going around?

CEX in Omni Park SC Santry have Seagate HDs 1tb for €20. I missed a 3tb for €35 recently. They always have external HD's for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Rashers wrote: »
    CEX in Omni Park SC Santry have Seagate HDs 1tb for €20. I missed a 3tb for €35 recently. They always have external HD's for sale.

Are Seagate good? Wasn't there a quality issue with them in the past?

I'd be looking for something for long-term storage (like 5-6 years etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Are Seagate good? Wasn't there a quality issue with them in the past?

I'd be looking for something for long-term storage (like 5-6 years etc)

I have heard bad things about probably all of the HDs. I've had a Seagate 2tb for about 2 or 3 years now in almost constant use and no problems.

FWIW I use a IDE/SATA docking cradle for all external drives.... think I paid €25 for it and it takes all types of HDs including the small ones from laptops.

But the watchword as in all things computer is... backup. Anything that is irreplaceable as in family photos etc should always have a copy on another drive or DVD or even memory stick.

Rashers wrote: »
    But the watchword as in all things computer is... backup. Anything that is irreplaceable as in family photos etc should always have a copy on another drive or DVD or even memory stick.

True, but I'd recommend a memory stick over a DVD as they degrade over time.

I have CDs that I burned back in 2000 that have now degraded so much they're not usable. Not sure how long DVDs last.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭styron

Amazon have a Seagate 3TB desktop free delivery ROI for £85.07, likely arrival end of the month though.

• Advertisement

styron wrote: »
    Amazon have a Seagate 3TB desktop free delivery ROI for £85.07, likely arrival end of the month though.

Seems to be the average price for that sort of size, do 3 TB ever drop to around £50 or less?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭styron

Seems to be the average price for that sort of size, do 3 TB ever drop to around £50 or less?

Only rare local Tesco-Asda shelf clearances on UK Hot Deals. Western Digital do recertified (6 month warranty) 3TB for €77 if you want to take the risk. 2TB portables deals can offer value, but post-Brexit 10-15% devaluation has put a dampener on everything.

styron wrote: »
    Only rare local Tesco-Asda shelf clearances on UK Hot Deals. Western Digital do recertified (6 month warranty) 3TB for €77 if you want to take the risk. 2TB portables deals can offer value, but post-Brexit 10-15% devaluation has put a dampener on everything.

Bought 2 of the "new" 3TB for total of EUR 132 delivered off the UK site using code WDSTORECPN.

https://www.wdc.com/en-gb/products/wd-recertified.html

You can get a 6TB for GBP 104.99 too

Advertisement