Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Hosting

• 06-06-2017 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

I know this has probably been asked a number of times but just wanted up to date information.

So I have purchased the web domains from an irish provider. I've given examples of what I've purchased

companyname.com
    companyname.ie

companyname1.com
    companyname1.ie

I didn't purchase any hosting package yet.

I also own the domain names (and have hosting) for the following from an american provider. Though I have just set up an under construction page for this using a wordpress plugin as it was only registered so the company name could get registered last week. I will however trade as the company name URL hosted with the irish provider.

myname.com
    myname1.com

what would you suggest the best way to go about hosting my companyname / companyname1 sites?

I will most likely use wordpress to build the site and I don't necessarily need the myname sites I have registered with the american provider.

Would you recommend staying with the irish provider for convenience?

If not using the irish provider, what would you recommend I do? No need for names, just points to look out for

Costs aren't massively important but I don't want to pay over the odds either. This site won't have any e-commerce functionality. I would also be looking to have email set up to go along with the domain name too.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

There's a longstanding boards rule against discussing specific hosting providers but in general terms;

You don't have to your domain names with the same company you use for hosting. You just need the DNS entries for all your domains to point to the IP address of your hosting. Any hosting company should be able to help you with this.

If you're targeting an Irish audience, personally I'd try and keep the hosting in country. That's not code for 'go with the provider you mentioned', I have no personal experience using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thelurker2000

Hi Graham

Thanks for your feedback. I'll edit the original comment to take out any company names.

I actually just spoke to the Irish company and I think their WordPress plan might fit the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 theWebAdvisor

If you are building with wordpress just make sure any plan has enough for what you want to do, for the likes of woocommerce you will need min 256mb available for memory, otherwise you will have performance issues.
    Whoever you select just send a quick email to their customers service asking them to confirm. Most hosts who offer wp hosting are aware of this , so should not be an issue.
    Regards
    Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thelurker2000

Thanks Ian

I called their customer service and opted out of their lowest priced plan for issues like you mentioned.

Now it's just on to designing the site......badly, no doubt.

Advertisement