Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attack on mosque

Options
  • 06-06-2017 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/muslims-terrified-after-galway-mosque-attacked-during-prayers-1.3109231

It's so disappointing to see this, particularly as the Iman in Galway has really worked hard for integration of communities here and has spoken out very strongly against radicalisation in Ireland, even against some of his colleagues in other parts of the country for not trying harder to combat it, and called for more to be done by Gardai to prevent it.

On Facebook there's a post going around asking people to send a card or letter to the Mosque to let them know most of us are completely against this kind of thuggery. I thought it was a really nice idea and it could be worthwhile. I'm sure there will be some efforts to radicalise people in our community but the best way to combat it is to not allow any justification for an "us and them" mentality to evolve here. It would be a shame to let the actions of a handful of people sow those very dangerous seeds of divide. These people are "us", from our friends and neighbours to doctors to shop assistants I think that underlining that is important.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Troll post and responses removed.

1 The highest of decorum is expected by everyone. Bans will be swift.
    2 Only discuss this particular incident. Don't go off topic.

If anyone who may want to discuss the wider issues there is an AH thread here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Galway Anti-Racism Movement have called a rally of solidarity tonight, at 11pm. They have asked for quiet if prayers are on. The event is on Facebook.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

ignorance, stupidity & childish vandalism isn't necessarily racism

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Breaking windows at a school or church which doesn't have people in it is ignorant stupidity and childish vandalism.

Doing so when there are clearly people inside praying is something else. I know what I'd call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/muslims-terrified-after-galway-mosque-attacked-during-prayers-1.3109231

It's so disappointing to see this, particularly as the Iman in Galway has really worked hard for integration of communities here and has spoken out very strongly against radicalisation in Ireland, even against some of his colleagues in other parts of the country for not trying harder to combat it, and called for more to be done by Gardai to prevent it.

On Facebook there's a post going around asking people to send a card or letter to the Mosque to let them know most of us are completely against this kind of thuggery. I thought it was a really nice idea and it could be worthwhile. I'm sure there will be some efforts to radicalise people in our community but the best way to combat it is to not allow any justification for an "us and them" mentality to evolve here. It would be a shame to let the actions of a handful of people sow those very dangerous seeds of divide. These people are "us", from our friends and neighbours to doctors to shop assistants I think that underlining that is important.

Do you have a link to that Facebook post? I'd like to share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

anewme wrote: »
    Do you have a link to that Facebook post? I'd like to share.

Turns out I am AWFUL at Facebook and can't manage to link the initial post.
    However here is a public page sharing a post promoting it though so you can share that.
    It's worth having a look at the initial post which is linked in this post, the replies are cheering, pictures of cards written going in the post from all around Ireland, even London.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155199769290851&set=a.354325225850.196325.587000850&type=3&theater

That may well be true, it's could be thuggery. However when people feel vulnerable or worried about being blamed for something awful that is completely out of their control they are understandably likely to experience it as victimisation. That's particularly true for children and teenagers present when something threatening happens. It's no harm for all of us that they be reminded this is a friendly respectful place. We want to live in a community together, friends and neighbours offer support when bad things happen and underline for anyone out there with violent or racist intentions that it won't be tolerated here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

But that's exactly what it is. All racists are ignorant, stupid and childish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    But that's exactly what it is. All racists are ignorant, stupid and childish

True but not all ignorant, stupid and childish people are racists

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

True but not all ignorant, stupid and childish people are racists

Yeah but they're ignorant, stupid and childish, and that's as much of a problem too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Awful to hear about this. Despicable act, especially considering all the good things that have been said about Galway's Islamic Community.

I am sorry to hear this.
    A group of individuals were seen smashing our windows and we believe from the descriptions given, these men are understood to be Irish. They ran away once we came outside to investigate

What whoever threw the stones possibly didn't know is that the mosque is an Ahmadiyya mosque, a sect already persecuted by other muslims (for instance they are outlawed in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia) and recognised as very peaceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

biko wrote: »
    I am sorry to hear this.

What whoever threw the stones possibly didn't know is that the mosque is an Ahmadiyya mosque, a sect already persecuted by other muslims (for instance they are outlawed in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia) and recognised as very peaceful.

Possibly? I think it's a tad more certain than that.

I am sorry to hear this.

I do get your point, but have to say throwing stones at a religious building (with people inside) is NOT a peaceful act either. So with that in mind my Granny gets a rock to head at mass because of some looney Catholic's action? It's not ok to throw stones at any mosque surely, no matter which sect they belong to?

If you do get my point then I am not really sure why you are twisting it out of proportion..

If you do get my point then I am not really sure why you are twisting it out of proportion..

Because honestly I had to read it three times to get the original intention.

Ok, maybe I wasn't clear enough.

Hopefully the scumbags will be caught soon and named in the papers.

In the news
    A solidarity rally organised by the Galway Anti Racism Network late on Monday night at the Ahmadiyya Mosque saw an amazing turnout. Almost 100 people showed up at 11pm, sharing tea and biscuits with the Ahmadiyya community and sending a strong message of support.
    http://thisisgalway.ie/strong-show-solidarity-galway-ahmadiyya-mosque/

That's amazing that nearly a hundred people turned up at that hour of the night. It's nice to live somewhere people can be so inherently decent.

Advertisement