Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned horse - Ownership query

Options
  • 06-06-2017 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi,
    not sure if anyone can help.

I have my own horse in a field and ever since my horse has been in the field there has been an abandoned horse there. I have been caring for the horse ever since, i.e. hay, farrier care, veterinary care, stabling costs while horse recovered from foot injury etc.

No owner has come to check or look after the horse in all that time.

What I am wondering is would I be entitled to ownership of the horse after this length of time or what are what are your thoughts on the above.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Unfortunately none of us can tell you that as it's legal opinion, and we can't ask for or offer legal advice on boards.ie

You should contact the guards and inform them that the horse seems to abandoned, as well as perhaps letting some rescues, etc. know. Both parties would be best placed to advise you, and the guards would be able to file a report, in case the horse was reported missing by its owner. You really should have done this when the horse appeared in the field, or, if you're renting it, highlighted it to the landowner as soon as it was in the field. When the vet came out, did they check for a microchip?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

I fully agree with Convert. Microchip, and of course starting of who owns the field!

Advertisement