Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple country domains pointing to single website?

Options
  • 06-06-2017 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I have a client looking to setup a website to sell products into a number of European countries? He wants to purchase the domains for a number of countries .co.uk, .ie, .de, .fr etc. The client's reason for this is to close them off to rivals rather than set up individual websites.

Is there a duplicate content issue with pointing all the domains a single website site (the clients preference)?

I would imagine a dedicated site hosted in each region would be the best option from an SEO prospective but that increases hosting and maintenance costs.

Wordpress / Woocommerce would be my technology. This is new ground for me so I would appreciate any advice posters may have.

Thanks in advance,
    Sean

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

dahayeser wrote: »
    Is there a duplicate content issue with pointing all the domains a single website site (the clients preference)?

Are you planning to redirect all the cc TLDs to one domain or have the same content show on each of the domains?

The latter is likely to cause duplicate content issues as the same content would show for multiple sites unless you get into hreflang tagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dahayeser

The clients preference would be to host on a .com and have .ie, .fr etc point to that .com. That is definite is definitely the simplest option.

Pretty much the same site hosted in multiple regions with hreflang tagging is the alternative option I was thinking about. If the tagging prevents duplicate content issues I am guessing this is a better SEO option. Seems a bit cumbersome though.

I'm not sure what exactly to recommend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The clients preference would be to host on a .com and have .ie, .fr etc point to that .com. That is definite is definitely the simplest option.

Absolutely the simplest option
    Pretty much the same site hosted in multiple regions with hreflang tagging is the alternative option I was thinking about. If the tagging prevents duplicate content issues I am guessing this is a better SEO option. Seems a bit cumbersome though.

It is cumbersome. I've just done it for a Magento site, for fun-factor it's right up there with a root-canal. Get it wrong (even temporarily) and you could find one or more of your sites drops into oblivion.

The tagging should prevent duplicate content penalties as you're essentially telling Google each duplicate targets a separate market/geo-location.

You'd certainly want to be sure there's a plugin to help. With Magento you have the option of multiple store-fronts with an appropriate extension, I'm not sure if there's a Woocommerce equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 irishd

Graham wrote: »
    You'd certainly want to be sure there's a plugin to help. With Magento you have the option of multiple store-fronts with an appropriate extension, I'm not sure if there's a Woocommerce equivalent.

This might be worth a look ... https://woomultistore.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

A client of mine has a multilingual store using WooCommerce, Polylang and Woo Poly Integration

• Advertisement
Advertisement