Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Issue

Options
  • 06-06-2017 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

It's been a while since posting here as I haven't had my motorhome on the road for a few years.

Anyway about 3 years ago I took my motorhome off the road and put it in dry storage.

I tried re insuring it again last year but since my daily drive is now a van they wouldn't insure it as I required a car. So I bought and insured a car.

So this year I try and get insurance through Dolmen and I did the hoop jumping and providing all sorts of paperwork ( I was insured with them for 5 years with no claims) They required a current DOE which was fair enough and I got the test done last week and the tester even commented how good the van was ( i had changed the brakes all round and exhaust and tyres all round so everything looked brand new. )

Anyway I sent in the DOE and then they sent me another form called gap in cover form and I filled it out stating why I wasn't using it and today they come back and say that the insurance company AXA have declined the insurance due to the vehicle being off the road for over 2 years.

I have tried disputing it but I am told that their decision is final and they have not stated any other reason.

Where to now? All help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Try stuarts insurance in wexford or the motor caravan club. But also ask Dolmen about their complaints process you complied with all their requests, have a certificate of roadworthiness.... basically make it trouble for them to say no, you may forces them to go back to axa and change their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭reelkidmusic

I agree with spaceHopper about pursuing their complaints process.  You have provided all of the necessary information and it shouldn't be an issue to reinsure the van especially when you have a CVRT.  I'm insured with O'Donovan Insurances in Killaloe and the policy is underwritten by Zurich.  It might be worthwhile trying to get a quote from them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

I've been back to them and written to them asking how to appeal but no reply as yet.

Anyway I was onto the MCC and he reckons he can get me sorted so I'll wait and see.

Macspower wrote: »
    I've been back to them and written to them asking how to appeal but no reply as yet.

Anyway I was onto the MCC and he reckons he can get me sorted so I'll wait and see.

Great but still follow it up with Dolmen and Axa, make them explain in writing why they made you get all the reports if they always intended to refuse cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

If no joy, you should be able to get insured through the declined cases procedure.

• Advertisement

Simona1986 wrote: »
    If no joy, you should be able to get insured through the declined cases procedure.

Don't bank on that applying to leisure vehicles such as campers.

Advertisement