Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What made you RETIRE your previous PC / Mac

Options
  • 06-06-2017 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Answer the poll and explain yourself in more detail.
    In my case, I decided I needed a Lenovo Ideapad Z500 to replace my SONY VIAO as my gaming machine, because the VIAO only had a 1GB nvidia card, whilst the Ideapad nvidia has 2GB - old now I know.

Why you retired your previous Rig. 16 votes

CPU not powerful enough
    0% 0 votes
    No room for higher RAM
    50% 8 votes
    Videocard not powerful enough anymore
    18% 3 votes
    Hard Disc related
    12% 2 votes
    Did'nt have Bluray capability
    6% 1 vote
    Did'nt have SD card slot
    0% 0 votes
    I broke something after warranty had expired.
    0% 0 votes
    Better for me to get new rig.
    12% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have been building my own pc's for years but when the bottle neck wasn't the cpu anymore for gaming the time difference for a PC refresh increased
    I think my first PC I only got 2 years out of it before I had to rebuild then 3 years then 4 and now my current rig is 6+ years old (i5 2500k) and it is still holding up well but I am going to do a refresh next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I replace my PC so often I stopped trying to invent reasons. Probably six or seven times a year. Mostly I just like trying new parts and cases, not necessarily the latest and greatest - everything just feels stale quite quickly! My current PC is an i7-2600/16GB/200GB SSD/GTX970 that cost me €350 to build. My last one was an i7-6700 and GTX1070.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

It was a Core2Duo @2.2Ghz, with 4GB of DDR2 ram....need I say more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

PC kind of evolved over time. Started with a socket 1155 H61 motherboard and a pentium, 8GB RAM, a 128GB SSD, €30 Fractal core something case and a HD7770, and gradually updated with better second hand parts (excepting SSDs and RAM) over 5 or so years, ending up with a B75 motherboard, i7 3770, 16GB RAM, 250 GB SSD plus hard drives, A fractal define mini (i think - its like the R4 except matx), and a HD7970 GHz edition. To be honest, aside from the graphics card it was mainly work related stuff that drove the CPU upgrade, unfortunately not all software makes use of the extra threads, or very little use.

Oh and I ended up with a whole other computer left over, very similar to the original, but with an i5 2400, a 750ti case and a Lian Li case, which I gave to my brother. I think it only gets used when he wants to play GTA occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I tend to upgrade my GPU every time a newer version drops, so every 18 months or so. Motherboard and CPU changed every other time I change the GPU. Currently I have a 4790k, so there is little to be gained IMO going for a 7700k or similar; thinking of a new case so this will drive the next CPU & motherboard upgrade, probably go with a Ryzen 7 setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

my old core 2 was struggling and i wanted to run protools so...got sorted by a nice Galwegian terry fermier.

Since added a gtx750ti and can rock iracing on 84fps. happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Lads - I've spent the last 30 minutes with my rig up on the table and I've checked the processor, the RAM, removed and reseated the GPU and I've even taken out the PSU. But I can't *****n find the tyres that I need to replace.

Can someone point me towards them because they must be well worn out now. Should I retyre with one of the well known brands? I've always found Bridgestone good on the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

motherboards would no longer boot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Lads - I've spent the last 30 minutes with my rig up on the table and I've checked the processor, the RAM, removed and reseated the GPU and I've even taken out the PSU. But I can't *****n find the tyres that I need to replace.

Can someone point me towards them because they must be well worn out now. Should I retyre with one of the well known brands? I've always found Bridgestone good on the car?
    you find yourself a retirement home. tellem you want a really swanky Zimmerman frame too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I spent too much money on a gaming laptop with a weak CPU & GPU (mostly the former).

Was forced to upgrade when I realised how much better PC gaming actually was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Intermittent crashes started occurring that I think was due to my GPU giving up the ghost.

Mind you it was a Core2Duo and GeForce 6600 from 2006 so it had served its time!

GeForce 6600 from 2006 so it had served its time!

FFS. Buy a display cabinet and put next to your VHS video recorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

My Mobo would no longer boot from a device, I had I 4 years and used it for everything. From editing /gaming it was my first PC and it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Laptop died a death. Twas a Dell Studio XPS 15 and a faithful companion through my undergrad. I built my current machine then, i5 3570K, Z77 mobo, 8gb RAM, Nvidia 760GTX. Have added an extra SSD to it, some fans, and upgraded the graphics card to a 1070. Been more focused on a nice keyboard, mouse, chair, monitor since then. I really want a nicer, bigger desk. After that I'm planning to upgrade the case, motherboard, RAM, CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I replaced my pc earlier this year (or was it late last year?). Anyway it was a Dell XPS 420 iirc. 4 GB ram, core 2 duo (quadcore) 1.8ghz processor, windows vista. It used an AMD GPU with no memory of its own - it shared in the 4gb ram. It was ten years old, i never thought to get ten years out of it. I played only WOW for years so I guess i didn't have as much call to upgrade as i might have if i were playing other games. Now following upgrade i am actually mainly playing Path of Exile which I suspect the old PC could probably still handle!

It was creaking though, if i hadn't replaced it a reformat of HD would have been necessary at the least. After 10 years of use there was a certain amount of bloat in the software on it. Repurposed as a word processor/internet browser in the kids homework room.

Was time to move to a 64 bit cpu.

new one is 16gb ram, i5 6600, SSD + HD, gtx 970. Massive difference. Plus glad to have built it myself. GTX 970 because I bought the gpu about a year before I upgraded the PC and used it in my old one, I bought it knowing it would tranfer to the new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

a 4k monitor..... :D i bought one and it made me realize how inadequate my old i7 930, amd 390x rig had gotten. Ive ended up spending a small fortune getting a proper setup, desks, chair, peripherals plus my new rig. Sad thing is i now think im addicted to just upgrading parts haha, changed my 1080 out for a 1080ti, also looking very closely as to how threadripper ends up

I was going perilously close to purchase a Dell 7000 series to replace my getting on in years Ideapad. But then I see an article about BSOD upon entering sleep? Also 8GB RAM on offer on same page seems bit steep no? (€127). Ah well, need to shop around a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm still using my first PC, it has got a new processor since and I'm on my forth graphics card and two SSD's.

Before I built the PC I was using a Dell Inspiron 640m that I bought for 1,000 euros a good few years ago. I think I bought it in 2005 or there abouts. I used to use the Xbox 360 to game back then and the laptop for the internet and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

With my PC I feel like Trigger from Only Fool And Horses when he got an award for saving the Council money by having the same brush for 15 years "This old broom has had 17 new heads and 14 new handles"

I've had the "same" PC for ten years now :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I sold mine to pay as a deposit for my car. 3L BMWs are a rarity so I had to move quick. Dealer was quite happy to hold it for a few weeks for me but I wanted it asap. One of my mates took it off me and its still going brilliant (it was a haswell build).
    Built a brand new one for BF1 based on skylake i5 and already upgraded CPU/GPU and chassis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Blazer wrote: »
    I sold mine to pay as a deposit for my car. 3L BMWs are a rarity so I had to move quick. Dealer was quite happy to hold it for a few weeks for me but I wanted it asap. One of my mates took it off me and its still going brilliant (it was a haswell build).
    Built a brand new one for BF1 based on skylake i5 and already upgraded CPU/GPU and chassis.

I'm pretty sure I bought a Dell monitor off you. Either that or it's a remarkably similar story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Blazer wrote: »

Best reason yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'm pretty sure I bought a Dell monitor off you. Either that or it's a remarkably similar story.

i think it was too..dell g sync model?
    I bought another one last month :D

Advertisement