Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stream all system sounds from laptop to old multimedia speakers?

Options
  • 06-06-2017 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Any ideas what would be the best way to have a laptop with Windows 10 in one room, connect to some old multimedia speakers with no built in bluetooth or wifi in another room, but to have it do so on demand, from the laptop?

I also want it to transmit all system sounds, not just audio and not from any streaming websites.

I tried a bluetooth adaptor, but the bluetooth would disconnect if it wasn't in use for several minutes. This would mean that you could be listening to something, not listen to anything for a few minutes and by the time you put on something else, you have to go back and turn the adaptor on again.

I also tried a Neet Airstream Pro, but I can't get it to work well. I tried it with Airfoil, but it doesn't give a constant connection and seems to keep dropping and when it did finally connect, there was a delay on sending the system sound so what I saw on youtube was way out of sync with what was being played on the multimedia speakers.

Ideally I'd like something that's just constantly connected wirelessy and will only turn off if I unplug it physically. If I could have something that would just give me volume control for the laptop speakers and volume control for the separate speakers it would be great!

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭KrakityJones

I'd say your on the right track with Bluetooth - you just need to either find an adaptor that won't disconnect (or check if it's windows settings that's causing it to disconnect). I've set up something like that with a dirt cheap Bluetooth adapter off of amazon. It doesn't disconnect and the pc treats it like a second soundcard so all sounds can be sent to it. Only catch with the one I have is I can't charge it and use it at the same time which is annoying. Bound to be something out there though which will do the job and not cost a fortune.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

How far away in another room? Bluetooth has a distance limitation of up to 10m which can also be impeded further by obstacles.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It's just under 10m. Krakity Jones, you just reminded me, the one I have has the same problem, you can charge and use it at the same time :eek:

From what I looked into before, Wifi was the better option. It would also be nice to be able to have my phone connect to it at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Interesting option alright, but if it's possible to have a wireless solution, I'd think I'd much rather that. If only it work work as I want, maybe I've just been using unreliable hardware though?

• Advertisement
Advertisement