Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Cycling impact

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Oh yeah, cycling would be the first preference. It was more like even walking, it would be doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Part of the problem with walking is the lunacy over the weight of schoolbooks. Wouldn't you think they'd produce them in ring binders so kids can bring only the apposite part for the day?

I haven't noticed that today's schoolkids are notably better educated than those of the 1970s.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's a bit mad alright. The binders is a good idea. Or have a locker system, where they only bring the books they need home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Chuchote wrote: »
    The whole concept of "going for a walk" - universal a few years ago, when you'd come home from work, have dinner, then go for a walk with one or another member of the family, chatting gently as you go - has virtually disappeared from Irish society.

I'm more and more amazed at how burly bodies on men and women (and boys and girls) are becoming so much the norm that we don't even consider them fat.

Well again - the no-hard shoulder 100km/hr close passing roaring buffeting juggernaut traffic has also put paid to the country B-road walk. It's deeply unpleasant and unnerving and just downright dangerous really. Not even a cursory lift off the throttle or tip of the brakes. Barrel on, full steam ahead.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

fat bloke wrote: »
    Well again - the no-hard shoulder 100km/hr close passing roaring buffeting juggernaut traffic has also put paid to the country B-road walk. It's deeply unpleasant and unnerving and just downright dangerous really. Not even a cursory lift off the throttle or tip of the brakes. Barrel on, full steam ahead.:(

That's the sort of road I hate as a cyclist as well. Give me Dublin city centre traffic over that any day. Speaking about pedestrians again though, it does seem like a lot of people (meaning drivers) genuinely think that walkers don't belong on those roads. There is no real obligation on them to show a bit of consideration when passing, the walkers shouldn't be there and they have brought whatever poor treatment they get on themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

HivemindXX wrote: »
    That's the sort of road I hate as a cyclist as well. Give me Dublin city centre traffic over that any day. Speaking about pedestrians again though, it does seem like a lot of people (meaning drivers) genuinely think that walkers don't belong on those roads. There is no real obligation on them to show a bit of consideration when passing, the walkers shouldn't be there and they have brought whatever poor treatment they get on themselves.

Absolutely. There's no "seems like" about it. The roads are largely a no go area now for walkers. The system we have is that you drive to go for a walk, and then you drive home again.

Over on Journalism for Cycling thread is a link to an email campaign in support of Option 8 on the quays and the Clontarf cycleway. Support these and they'll lead to acceptance of cycleways in transport generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,074 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Amirani wrote: »
    Also inevitable that you'll end up with joggers in them.

It is only inevitable if cyclists choose to make room for joggers.
    PaulieC wrote: »
    Where would you suggest people park ? Are you suggesting no parking on any public roads ?

Maybe they should empty out their garage and use that for the intended purpose? Or maybe they should reconvert their garage back from being an extra front room to the intended purpose? Or maybe they should use their driveway or convert their front garden to a driveway?

Maybe it should be THEIR problem to work out where to store their private property, not mine?
    Some people need 2 cars, I'd say I use my car once a week, but for that day I need it
    I need to use my drum kit and my drive-on lawnmower one day a week (different occasions obviously) but I don't get to use public space to store them in a convenient spot for me.

I need to use my drum kit and my drive-on lawnmower one day a week (different occasions obviously) but I don't get to use public space to store them in a convenient spot for me.

:D

Advertisement