Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big E3 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Pretty slick cinematic trailer for Evil Within 2, coming in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

New Wolfenstein! :D

Nice. Coming October as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That's it? Must be the shortest non-Nintendo E3 conference ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i appreciate that they only showed games coming in 2017 and not 2020 but god that was pretty awful

• Advertisement

Yeah. Seems they're continuing with their recent MO of only announcing stuff that will be out that year. Hoped the rumours of other IPs were true, but I'll take a new Wolfenstein no probs.

Also, there was that Dishonored content. Not sure if it's DLC or an expansion or what?

Edit - Dishonored: Death of the Outsider is an expandalone, ie building on D2, but you don't need the base game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Murray will never again be seen at e3, he took the money ran .

There's been a lot of updates on the game for someone who took the money and ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Murray will never again be seen at e3, he took the money ran .

But he didn't though, he/they are still putting out serious updates for the game, I honestly think he was pushed to release early and he still wants to deliver on what he promised

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Bethesda....do they really need their own conference ? ...really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Wolfenstein 2 looks class. Loved the first one.

• Advertisement

I love what Bethesda did, come out announce a number of titles it this year and leave it at that. No footage from a title three years away, just what they have now. Wolfenstein II is about the only gave I'll be pre-ordering so as to have day one and I love that it's out in a few months and but a year away like Far Cry 5.

jcd5971 wrote:
    But he didn't though, he/they are still putting out serious updates for the game, I honestly think he was pushed to release early and he still wants to deliver on what he promised

People just love to slag him and the game off. Someone I know in work screamed at me and told me I "was a fcuking fanboy apologist" simply because I said I was enjoying it. And I still am, I ho back to it quite often and love to just explore the universe. That they are actively working on it and improving it shows that the game means something to them and it isn't a cashgrab, but that goes against the opinion so many made without even playing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

People just love to slag him and the game off. Someone I know in work screamed at me and told me I "was a fcuking fanboy apologist" simply because I said I was enjoying it. And I still am, I ho back to it quite often and love to just explore the universe. That they are actively working on it and improving it shows that the game means something to them and it isn't a cashgrab, but that goes against the opinion so many made without even playing the game.

The main issue isn't what the final game was, but what the final game was meant to be. It wasn't that the content of the game itself wasn't good, but that people were told, quite explicitly in many cases, that there would be things in the game that simply weren't, right up until release (and even for a short period after, such as deflecting why two players who were in the same location couldn't see each other).

That was their biggest mistake. I have no doubt the game is enjoyable, and some of the updates they've put out look great, and it's good that they're working on adding a lot more to it. But the mistake was in how they presented the game, and Sean Murray has to take a lot of blame for that. Even if Sony forced them to rush the game out, Murray kept selling the idea of things that were simply not going to be in the game as sold.

But yeah, a lot of the flak he does get goes OTT.

Wolfenstein looks brilliant, I'm also really looking forward to the dishonored expansion. Haven't seen much else that interests me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I love what Bethesda did, come out announce a number of titles it this year and leave it at that..

Please list the number of NEW titles for those of us who drifted off during their presentation

Anyway, I'm kinda surprised Ubisoft revealed not just a trailer, but also gameplay for AC:Origins at the MS conference. I would have thought that'd be one of their big reveals for their own show. Be interesting to see what they pull out tonight.

I'd say they're almost better off not having anything about South Park tonight. Maybe just show it in a clip reel or something. Any mention of it instantly brings up the huge delay it's suffered, and I think we've seen enough gameplay and trailers for it now.

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Edit: Someone on the GameSpot forums just pointed out that the very small size of the X along with their cooling system is going to be a massive problem. Apparently the X's technical design will almost certainly increase the risks of overheating and burning out the CPU.

Remember the RRoD issue with the 360? Might be something to take note of as MS have a history of rushing hardware releases to compete with Sony before being tested for long term use.

Saying that small = overheat is overly simplistic. You cannot make such claims at this point until we get a hands on.

What we can say is that One X was certainly not 'rushed'. Everything we have seen so far suggests a highly engineered cooling and power management solution.

Saying that small = overheat is overly simplistic. You cannot make such claims at this point until we get a hands on.

What we can say is that One X was certainly not 'rushed'. Everything we have seen so far suggests a highly engineered cooling and power management solution.

Have to agree. The fact that they've essentially invented and engineered their own power management system and are putting things into the X that aren't normally used in a console to me demonstrates that they're not just whacking a bunch of stuff together to rush a console out, it really seems like an incredibly well engineered piece of kit. They didn't even have to go so small with the console, they could have went same size as the original XB1 and it wouldn't have been a negative. But how small they got it down to shows they put a hell of a lot of engineering under the hood.

Penn wrote:
    The main issue isn't what the final game was, but what the final game was meant to be. It wasn't that the content of the game itself wasn't good, but that people were told, quite explicitly in many cases, that there would be things in the game that simply weren't, right up until release (and even for a short period after, such as deflecting why two players who were in the same location couldn't see each other).

That was their biggest mistake. I have no doubt the game is enjoyable, and some of the updates they've put out look great, and it's good that they're working on adding a lot more to it. But the mistake was in how they presented the game, and Sean Murray has to take a lot of blame for that. Even if Sony forced them to rush the game out, Murray kept selling the idea of things that were simply not going to be in the game as sold.

People did read a lot I to what was said and the post launch campaign was way over the top. People forget that it is a tiny company and I think that for gaming to be truly innovative we have to let companies stumble. Attacking them does nothing but make the attacker look like an ass and anyone who pre-ordered the game and then felt filled off only have themselves to blame. The way they game is slowly evolving it really is turning into something special.
    SeantheMan wrote:
    Please list the number of NEW titles for those of us who drifted off during their presentation

A quick google will find those for you, unless of course you are trying to be funny and imply that as they are sequels they aren't new titles. They are, they're just not new IPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Paid mods coming up again. When something has been free for so long it's hard to convince people to pay for it.
    Doom VR looked quite poor having to hop around to move really breaks the flow combat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Some might have missed it, but here's the Devolver Digital conference (yes, really, they did one). Only 15 minutes long and....well...cant really spoil it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

So paid mods in disguise making a comeback from Bethesday via the Creation Club. Can't say I'm inspired by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Good show from MS last night, yet they were very cagey with the "console launch exclusive" names and titles... (which was probably deliberate)

Looking past all that it will be interesting to see what's what when the dust settles...

I've been on the fence about picking up an Xbox One since launch, especially with a Pro, bog standard PS4, Switch and a gaming PC in my house

I have a giant bag in the attic with a 360 and about 75 games and a few OG Xbox games even so this could sway me to get one just for that stuff...

Delighted for once there was no mention of CoD and Halo and it was just games games games, Phil has been doing a great job there in fairness to him...

500 notes is good for what you are getting though in fairness, I'm assuming it's using Polaris? Is that an RX 470 or 480 basically?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Fieldog wrote: »
    Good show from MS last night, yet they were very cagey with the "console launch exclusive" names and titles... (which was probably deliberate)

Looking past all that it will be interesting to see what's what when the dust settles...

I've been on the fence about picking up an Xbox One since launch, especially with a Pro, bog standard PS4, Switch and a gaming PC in my house

I have a giant bag in the attic with a 360 and about 75 games and a few OG Xbox games even so this could sway me to get one just for that stuff...

Delighted for once there was no mention of CoD and Halo and it was just games games games, Phil has been doing a great job there in fairness to him...

500 notes is good for what you are getting though in fairness, I'm assuming it's using Polaris? Is that an RX 470 or 480 basically?

I think it's a modified RX480 that's in it going by the stuff they released about it last month, or whenever that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Was thinking about PUBG on console and they'll need to do a huge amount of work to get it running smooth.
    For the current version on steam, a good CPU and SSD install is needed to get it running anyway smoothly. This spells disaster for the PS4 Slim & XBox One S.
    Keeping track of 100 players is not easy so hopefully as much processing as possible can be offloaded to the gpu cores.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm not a fan of the 'Who won E3' chatter but Devolver won E3 :pac:

"We read on forums about how users are throwing money at their screens but then we check our accounts and the money isn't there :("

• How did I miss it. Wolfenstien 2l!!! YESSS

giphy.gif

• LOL Evil within 2
    missed that also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the 'Who won E3' chatter but Devolver won E3 :pac:

I just want a conference where, instead of the host trying to clap at every small miniature announcement (Sony's President....just watch at their conference), they just tell everyone to "SHUT THE *** UP!" before proceeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Was thinking about PUBG on console and they'll need to do a huge amount of work to get it running smooth.
    For the current version on steam, a good CPU and SSD install is needed to get it running anyway smoothly. This spells disaster for the PS4 Slim & XBox One S.
    Keeping track of 100 players is not easy so hopefully as much processing as possible can be offloaded to the gpu cores.

Would say there might be an issue if this wasn't using such an established engine.

It's unreal so I'd say they're more than capable of do it, even as a smaller team.

Advertisement