Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big E3 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Benzino wrote: »
    Eurogamer saying the Xbox One X will cost 449 pounds, 499 euro.
    At least Microsoft aren't doing a Nintendo with their international pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Evil Within strikes me as one of those games that could make a leap in quality similar to AC1 to AC2.

Original had some good moments but fell down in a lot of places. Plenty of potential there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

So paid mods in disguise making a comeback from Bethesday via the Creation Club. Can't say I'm inspired by that.
    Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Varik wrote: »
    Would say there might be an issue if this wasn't using such an established engine.

It's unreal so I'd say they're more than capable of do it, even as a smaller team.

They've a separate team working on the console version apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

J. Marston wrote: »
    Evil Within strikes me as one of those games that could make a leap in quality similar to AC1 to AC2.

The opening sequence to the first game was great, but once you leave the hospital it just turns into a shooter for the most part.

Only announcement I'm excited for so far, and I'm not even sure if it was announced at E3 or just at the same time as E3, is new DLC for Ori and the Blind Forest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just watching the Bethesda conference, Underwhelmed so far, was hoping for a new elder scrolls game , all I got so far was Skyrim for the switch with link :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

J. Marston wrote: »

Original had some good moments but fell down in a lot of places. Plenty of potential there though.

Wonder if they will still letterbox the 4K versions :D

"We can render 4K60fps if we only have to fill half the screen!"
    Only announcement I'm excited for so far, and I'm not even sure if it was announced at E3 or just at the same time as E3, is new DLC for Ori and the Blind Forest.

I think its a completely new game, not a DLC.

Gunmonkey wrote: »

I think its a completely new game, not a DLC.

Seriously? I'd only seen tweets about it, made my day if that's true :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Gunmonkey wrote: »

They dropped that like a hot snot though. When I bought it a couple of months after release, the letterbox format could be taken off it.

I played the Order 1886 recently and the letterbox on that was a pain in the hoop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As a PC gamer I can't but help feel no enthusiasm for the xbox one. It makes no sense to own one when all these games are coming to the PC as well. A new PC seems like a much better investment.

I'm really not hopeful about the Scorpios success either. PS pro uptake has reportedly been slow and support outside of Sony first party stuff seems to be dropping off.
    Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Remember the RRoD issue with the 360? Might be something to take note of as MS have a history of rushing hardware releases to compete with Sony before being tested for long term use.

They messed up with the 360 but Sony have had worse issues with their own consoles. PS1 and 2 units had dodgy disc drives and the PS3 had issues as well. The PS2 issue was as bad if not worse than RROD MS are usually pretty food with hardware and I'd say they will be trying to avoid another RROD debacle.
    Doge wrote: »

I've a feeling Sony are going to drop VR like a hot snot. 1 million units isn't that impressive and not enough to keep it viable. We will find out at 2am.

Also there were too many games that look like games already out at the moment. Where is the diversity that was promised. I feel Sony are going to walk out there with their first party exclusives and Japanese quirkiness and leave this looking a bit lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Seriously? I'd only seen tweets about it, made my day if that's true :D

Yep, it's a full blown sequel - can't wait!

maximoose wrote: »
    Yep, it's a full blown sequel - can't wait!

Just read it's only available on Xbox or Windows store though, bit disappointing considering the first game is on Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Multiplatform:

Anthem
    Assassin's Creed Origins
    Code Vein
    Dragon Ball Fighterz
    Life is Strange: Before the Storm
    Metro Exodus
    Middle-Earth: Shadow of War
    Minecraft

Console Launch Exclusive (Timed Exclusivity):

The Artful Escape of Francis Vendetti
    Ashen
    Black Desert
    The Darwin Project
    Deep Rock Galactic
    The Last Night
    Playerunknown's Battleground
    Tacoma

Xbox One and Windows 10 Exclusive:

Crackdown 3
    Cuphead (According to Steam, also available on Windows: 7, 8, 8.1, or 10)
    Forza Motorsport 7
    Ori and the Will of the Wisps
    Sea of Thieves
    State of Decay
    Super Lucky's Tale

Source :

https://news.xbox.com/2017/06/11/xbox-e3-2017-briefing-recap/

If the list is correct, is there any actual console exclusives? Or is all of it coming to PC/Elsewhere​ in some form?

Fieldog wrote: »
    If the list is correct, is there any actual console exclusives? Or is all of it coming to PC/Elsewhere​ in some form?

I thought I read somewhere that that was going to be strategy from now on. That all games for the Xbox One would be on the Windows store for PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

In addition to the BBC article about Microsoft and its uncertainty over VR, we also have Bethesda doing this:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/611660/Fallout_4_VR/

Not only is it full price (it includes all the DLC, to be fair) for a game most people have already paid, but it is also exclusive to HTC Vive for now. I can't imagine them support Oculus when they have been busy trying to put them out of business (or at least, get a sizable chunk of the business). PSVR might announce something later on tonight...

It is full price because VR market share is insignificant. There are more Wii Us out there than VR customers, so they are right to charge full price - why make a loss on technology that could very well fail? And, to be honest, seems to be going that way already. There's no point claiming 'infancy' - PS4 Pro has sold more pieces than VR headsets and it has been out a shorter time. It should also be noted that DOOM VFR contains sections of VR interactivity - it isn't a full VR title.

I thought I read somewhere that that was going to be strategy from now on. That all games for the Xbox One would be on the Windows store for PC.

That's correct. It was announced last year as a way of tribute to the growing PC market and the 'neglect' PC gamers were feeling from MS. Any game that comes to Xbox One will also come to Windows 10 PC - apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I feel quite disconnected from pretty much anything at E3 and modern game companies. Backwards compatibility as a 'new' feature or in Sony's case "lol who wants that?". MC making so many titles W10 exclusive while I'm still here on W7 & Linux purchasing on GOG and looking out of linux supported titles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'll put it out there - I'm not a fan of the way are moving away from generational releases in favour of PS4 Pro and Xbox 1X hardware updates.

I have almost no reason to buy the 1X.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Falthyron wrote: »
    In addition to the BBC article about Microsoft and its uncertainty over VR, we also have Bethesda doing this:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/611660/Fallout_4_VR/

Not only is it full price (it includes all the DLC, to be fair) for a game most people have already paid, but it is also exclusive to HTC Vive for now. I can't imagine them support Oculus when they have been busy trying to put them out of business (or at least, get a sizable chunk of the business). PSVR might announce something later on tonight...

It is full price because VR market share is insignificant. There are more Wii Us out there than VR customers, so they are right to charge full price - why make a loss on technology that could very well fail? And, to be honest, seems to be going that way already. There's no point claiming 'infancy' - PS4 Pro has sold more pieces than VR headsets and it has been out a shorter time. It should also be noted that DOOM VFR contains sections of VR interactivity - it isn't a full VR title.

No it is not.

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »
    No it is not.

Oculus up the shítter.
    No new AAA titles developed for native VR.
    MS ditching the format (not a single mention at E3).
    EA made no VR announcements.

Apart from Bethesda, what big games grabbing people's attention have been announced? Besides games people have already played to death, i.e. DOOM and Fallout 4. Moreover, Fallout 4 has its failings. Changing how you view the game isn't going to fix the fundamental mechanics people took issues with.

VR headsets have been out for over a year now. In terms of gaming, the options to choose from are worse than MS's Xbox One. And with the expected iteration to take place (considering the headsets aren't modularised), people should pay €500+ for something that will be replaced in a year or two anyway?

Nintendo Switch received more airtime than VR in E3 so far. That says a lot about the format.

Are you going to pay another €60 to play the same Fallout 4 again? Or drop €30 on a VR-lite experience of DOOM (which you may have already played)?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I think VR has a role to play, just not in mainstream gaming. LCD/OLED screens will be our primary visual display for many years to come. VR will be niche, like the PS Move and the Kinect :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Another thing i noticed. Lots of people are forgetting to factor in the price of a decent 4K TV. €800 at least is what you're looking at to get a 8bit + FRC panel.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah, that's been a given since last year's E3. No such thing as a console exclusive on xboxe. It doesn't really make a diference though, you still have to buy the game through microsoft's eco system.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Another thing i noticed. Lots of people are forgetting to factor in the price of a decent 4K TV. €800 at least is what you're looking at to get a 8bit + FRC panel.

Yupp, I don't need a new telly at the moment and I'm not shelling out a grand and a half for a new telly and console for slightly nicer graphics. I will eventually get the Pro when both the console and 4k tv's are going cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

And a new AV amp for the newer HDMI spec :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Falthyron wrote: »
    Oculus up the shítter.
    No new AAA titles developed for native VR.
    MS ditching the format (not a single mention at E3).
    EA made no VR announcements.

Apart from Bethesda, what big games grabbing people's attention have been announced? Besides games people have already played to death, i.e. DOOM and Fallout 4. Moreover, Fallout 4 has its failings. Changing how you view the game isn't going to fix the fundamental mechanics people took issues with.

VR headsets have been out for over a year now. In terms of gaming, the options to choose from are worse than MS's Xbox One. And with the expected iteration to take place (considering the headsets aren't modularised), people should pay €500+ for something that will be replaced in a year or two anyway?

Nintendo Switch received more airtime than VR in E3 so far. That says a lot about the format.

Are you going to pay another €60 to play the same Fallout 4 again? Or drop €30 on a VR-lite experience of DOOM (which you may have already played)?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I think VR has a role to play, just not in mainstream gaming. LCD/OLED screens will be our primary visual display for many years to come. VR will be niche, like the PS Move and the Kinect :pac:

MS are right, it is clearly way too early. It is a next generation tech at the least. It needs to become affordable, mobile and headsets need to shrink and become lighter and more comfortable.

I hope Sony getting in too early doesn't damage it. When it is ready say in 5 years time will people think VR? Sure that was a complete failure.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah, that's been a given since last year's E3. No such thing as a console exclusive on xboxe. It doesn't really make a diference though, you still have to buy the game through microsoft's eco system.

But if you have a gaming PC running Windows 10, why would you bother with an Xbox at all? At least Nintendo and Playstation will have system exclusives that you can't play anywhere else.

And a new AV amp for the newer HDMI spec :mad:
    Nah just new pair of headphones :) Dolby Atmos setup in your average Irish living room is not a realistic possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

qrx wrote: »
    Nah just new pair of headphones :) Dolby Atmos setup in your average Irish living room is not a realistic possibility.

I was thinking about the 4K and HDR. My Onkyo TX-NR414 only works up to HDMI 1.4 I think.

• Advertisement

But if you have a gaming PC running Windows 10, why would you bother with an Xbox at all? At least Nintendo and Playstation will have system exclusives that you can't play anywhere else.
    There is no deep mystery. Obviously PC gamers are not the target audience. Not yet anyway, I expect the audience to broaden as it matures and we start seeing better exclusives.

Advertisement