Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big E3 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Are people still arguing that VR won't take off?

Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I can't keep watching these conferences.

Stop fvcking moving the camera out from the trailer to show us the crowd/stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

qrx wrote: »
    Obviously PC gamers are not the target audience.

:confused: They are making sure all Xbox exclusives available on the Windows Store - how are they not a target audience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Bambi wrote: »

Weird.
    Well it was supposed to be the next big thing in 1996. So it's been a while on the runway. But I expect too much has been invested in the last 5-10 years. I think it's still a way off, it'll get there in another 10 I reckon.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

:confused: They are making sure all Xbox exclusives available on the Windows Store - how are they not a target audience?

They're not a target audience for the hardware. The average console gamer won't own a gaming PC. MS can sell their games to a demographic that aren't that likely to buy a console in the first place so it's a win win for them far as I can see.

• Advertisement

• When is Sonys turn?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

It's a push to get more people locked into their eco, using Windows 10 and relying on their storefront. It's about locking people down, it has nothing to do with supporting PC gaming and you'd be a fool to believe anything MC does is for that benefit.
    If they really gave a feck about supporting PC for gaming they'd have dropped DX12, shifted it into open source or redirected their efforts to other APIs that work other platforms or even just Windows XP, 7 & 8.. MC is just another apple. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

It's a push to get more people locked into their eco, using Windows 10 and relying on their storefront. It's about locking people down, it has nothing to do with supporting PC gaming and you'd be a fool to believe anything MC does is for that benefit.
    If they really gave a feck about supporting PC for gaming they'd have dropped DX12, shifted it into open source or redirected their efforts to other APIs that work other platforms or even just Windows XP, 7 & 8.. MC is just another apple. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish

Spot the linux user :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Bambi wrote:

Well I imagine those people are surprised at how few games are supporting it. Superhot looked a lot more adaptable to the hardware. A slowed down Doom game & the meh Fallout 4 is less than I was expecting.
    There doesnt seem to be a big audience for it. I think I read recently the PSVR has sold a million but Sony's conference will say a lot tonight on it's future. How are the Rift & Vive selling now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    When is Sonys turn?

Today's Schedule.

PC Gaming Show - 18.00 GMT
    Ubisoft - 21.00 GMT
    Sony - 02.00 GMT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    When is Sonys turn?

About 1am tonight I think.

edit: didn't see the above post.

Did I ever state anything to the contrary? I know they're not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As a PC gamer I can't but help feel no enthusiasm for the xbox one. It makes no sense to own one when all these games are coming to the PC as well. A new PC seems like a much better investment.

Not everyone wants a PC or even has the space for one. Most console gamers like the plug and play element of a console.

As a PC gamer Microsoft have a chance to get some of your money now by allowing their titles to be play anywhere. Before a PC gamer might never have bothered with a Microsoft game because they didn't want the console.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Not everyone wants a PC or even has the space for one. Most console gamers like the plug and play element of a console.

As a PC gamer Microsoft have a chance to get some of your money now by allowing their titles to be play anywhere. Before a PC gamer might never have bothered with a Microsoft game because they didn't want the console.

Also, Most PC gamers eventually grow tired of the endless upgrade cycle of the PC. Sitting all day at a desk and then coming home and sitting at a desk all night. when that day comes and you finally join us lowly peasants on a console, you'll have a back catalog ready and waiting for you. You won't need to keep a 10 year old PC in the corner just in case you want to play your old games (but never actually do). Instead you can admire them in your Ready to Install list on your console

There's no endless upgrade cycle. You upgrade whenever you want, new hardware releasing doesn't mean your current hardware stops working.

Also, Most PC gamers eventually grow tired of the endless upgrade cycle of the PC. Sitting all day at a desk and then coming home and sitting at a desk all night. when that day comes and you finally join us lowly peasants on a console, you'll have a back catalog ready and waiting for you. You won't need to keep a 10 year old PC in the corner just in case you want to play your old games (but never actually do). Instead you can admire them in your Ready to Install list on your console

Do they, I have never grown tired of it and it's not as if you have to do it every other year, most PC gamers only upgrade every 4 or 5 years. I'm building a new PC this year and going to spend a decent amount on it so I can play 4k with all settings maxed out, that PC will do me for everything from gaming, video editing, day to day tasks etc and I'll even have it connected to my TV for some couch gaming. Sure the initial outlay is going to be expensive but I'll get more out of it than I put in over the next 4 years or so.

I'm a console player myself. I can't say I've ever really heard people complain about the nightmare scenario you've presented above for PC gaming.

There's no endless upgrade cycle. You upgrade whenever you want, new hardware releasing doesn't mean your current hardware stops working.
    I'm an ex PC gamer. Eventually you need to upgrade. Of course you do I can't believe you can even argue otherwise. I never suggested it's a regular cycle.

I'm a console player myself. I can't say I've ever really heard people complain about the nightmare scenario you've presented above for PC gaming.

What nightmare scenario?

I'm an ex PC gamer. Eventually you need to upgrade. Of course you do I can't believe you can even argue otherwise. I never suggested it's a regular cycle.

I'm a console and a PC gamer and eventually you have to upgrade your console. Same with a PC, every 4 or 5 years you add a little to your PC and go from there.

• Advertisement

It sounded that way when you said an endless upgrade cycle, my mistake. If that's the case though, consoles are an endless upgrade cycle too. You need to upgrade everything eventually. If you built a PC on the same day as buying a console they'd last the same time. The PC probably longer due to adjustable settings.

Did I ever state anything to the contrary?
    Nope.
    As a PC gamer Microsoft have a chance to get some of your money now by allowing their titles to be play anywhere.
    Windows 10 & XBO
    Hardly anywhere

Svyus9B.png

They also liked
    • Not having to update games/system
    • Games working on launch
    • No upgrade paths
    • No subscription fees
    • Consistent performance
    8th gen has none of that so isn't 'plug n' play'. At a Tekken 7 tournament I attended the PS4s were asking me to sign in because I plugged my controller in. It caused a lot of delays everywhere because the consoles would end up racking dozens of 'guest' accounts that the tournament staff would have to delete and manage between every player switch.

Sitting all day at a desk and then coming home and sitting at a desk all night.

Not everyone works at a desk. Not everyone plays games at a desk. My sis plays games on her PC in bed with a gamepad.
    when that day comes and you finally join us lowly peasants on a console, you'll have a back catalog ready and waiting for you.
    You won't need to keep a 10 year old PC in the corner just in case you want to play your old games
    No, you can play them on your new system. PS3 dropped backwards compatibility FYI. I was super disappointed because my original fat PS3 was stolen.
    I'm an ex PC gamer. Eventually you need to upgrade.

To play the latest games, yes. Just like you need to buy a new console to play the latest console games. No difference other than that on PC all your games, controllers & peripherals come with you.
    It sounded that way when you said an endless upgrade cycle, my mistake. If that's the case though, consoles are an endless upgrade cycle too. You need to upgrade everything eventually. If you built a PC on the same day as buying a console they'd last the same time. The PC probably longer due to adjustable settings.

Someone got Tekken 7 working on intergrated CPU graphics by playing the game at like 500p or something :D

OK I seem to have offended some people. Bizarre, but I've no problem taking it back. You don't need to upgrade your PC and PC gamers don't grow tired and switch to the console couch living lifestyle. My apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

OK I seem to have offended some people. Bizarre, but I've no problem taking it back. You don't need to upgrade your PC and PC gamers don't grow tired and switch to the console couch living lifestyle. My apologies.

But that's not what you said.

Anyway just had a look at the Anthem gameplay and it does look an awful lot like Destiny, not really into another one of these loot shooters.

You didn't offend anyone man. You need to upgrade everything - PC, consoles, phone, TV, car. And sure, some people can't stop upgrading their PC and probably swap to consoles to quit doing it for good. I'm sure it happens. I'm still happily using a GTX 970@1440P and will be for some time yet.

With PC gaming growing year over year it seems like people are enjoying building and tinkering with PCs more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Also from watching bits of the Microsoft conference I actually never knew Player Unknown was Irish :p

Nobody was offended here. But someone was as The Last Night's dev had to apologise for wrong-think.
    https://twitter.com/rawfurygames/status/874140352860618753

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf, upgrade cycle isnt that bad nowadays. I'm still rocking a 2500k and only upgrade GPU in 5 years. In comparison to 15 years ago, it's great

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbf, upgrade cycle isnt that bad nowadays. I'm still rocking a 2500k and only upgrade GPU in 5 years. In comparison to 15 years ago, it's great

I've seen pixel indie games with higher requirements than Crysis. The requirements go up but the graphics don't seem to match it. Consoles are probably a reason you don't need to upgrade PC so much since there's so few graphically intensive and technologically ambitious PC-only games. Maybe we'll hear some at E3 but I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Anyway just had a look at the Anthem gameplay and it does look an awful lot like Destiny, not really into another one of these loot shooters.

The scripted dialogue was awful.
    The game looks very pretty. I'll be keeping it on my radar as it looks interesting enough to me. Whenever a beta appears I'll give it a go. I wonder how long the Timed Exclusivity is.

Advertisement