Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big E3 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

The scripted dialogue was awful.

Yeah, I will have to add that to my list of things (bullshít) to look out for at E3. :P

Also, have a listen back on the dialogue during the gameplay of Need for Speed: Payback. NOBODY TALKS LIKE THAT! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The kings of awful gamer banter, Ubisoft, are on tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

J. Marston wrote: »
    The kings of awful gamer banter, Ubisoft, are on tonight.

Roger roger standing by to stand by :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I wonder how long the Timed Exclusivity is.

Hopefully not as long as Destiny stuff. Still haven't got jade rabbit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

qrx wrote: »
    Well it was supposed to be the next big thing in 1996. So it's been a while on the runway. But I expect too much has been invested in the last 5-10 years. I think it's still a way off, it'll get there in another 10 I reckon.

I was around in 1996, I dont remember VR products shipping to the consumer.

You're looking at two things for VR to go mainstream on PC, elegant wireless solution (early next year) and, less importantly, inside out tracking.

A year on from launch, The concept is already proven. You're looking at a smart phone adaption rate I'd say. steadyily rise and then straight up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Bambi wrote: »
    I was around in 1996, I dont remember VR products shipping to the consumer.

You're looking at two things for VR to go mainstream on PC, elegant wireless solution (early next year) and, less importantly, inside out tracking.

A year on from launch, The concept is already proven. You're looking at a smart phone adaption rate I'd say. steadyily rise and then straight up

I don't know if it ever shipped but.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Has there / Will there be anymore on Shadow Realms? For some reason I'm getting a "The Secret World meets Destiny/Division" vibe off it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

qrx wrote: »
    OK I seem to have offended some people. Bizarre, but I've no problem taking it back. You don't need to upgrade your PC and PC gamers don't grow tired and switch to the console couch living lifestyle. My apologies.

There's a lot of thus I'll informed nonsense these days. I've moved from consoles to mostly PC gaming. It's a lot easier now than ever. In fact I find my PC boots up and the interface much easier to use than the disaster operating systems the consoles use. They are just awful except for the switch but that's bare bones and will probably be ruined once they add to it.

Any time I turn on a console I've to wait about an hour for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's a lot of thus I'll informed nonsense these days. I've moved from consoles to mostly PC gaming. It's a lot easier now than ever. In fact I find my PC boots up and the interface much easier to use than the disaster operating systems the consoles use. They are just awful except for the switch but that's bare bones and will probably be ruined once they add to it.

It's what your used to though.

Why are you waiting for updates? Mine install in rest mode on both my PS4 and One.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I havent had an update that took longer than an hour in ages, downloading in standby is the way to go :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

Now you just have those godforsaken long windows updates to worry about! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Don't think I've ever had that issue. My PS4 updates in rest mode as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

...the disaster operating systems the consoles use.

Coming from someone who loves the PC and who studies/teaches a class on Operating Systems; the PS4 OS is decent. Haven't seen the Switch, so I can't comment. The XB360 and PS3 front ends were horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Do they, I have never grown tired of it and it's not as if you have to do it every other year, most PC gamers only upgrade every 4 or 5 years. I'm building a new PC this year and going to spend a decent amount on it so I can play 4k with all settings maxed out, that PC will do me for everything from gaming, video editing, day to day tasks etc and I'll even have it connected to my TV for some couch gaming. Sure the initial outlay is going to be expensive but I'll get more out of it than I put in over the next 4 years or so.

Nice. Sure what would you want with a console with that setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Penn wrote: »
    Anyway, I'm kinda surprised Ubisoft revealed not just a trailer, but also gameplay for AC:Origins at the MS conference. I would have thought that'd be one of their big reveals for their own show.

It surprised me too. Perhaps Xbox One players might get some extra exclusive content when they get AC Origins.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Notorious wrote: »
    Coming from someone who loves the PC and who studies/teaches a class on Operating Systems; the PS4 OS is decent. Haven't seen the Switch, so I can't comment. The XB360 and PS3 front ends were horrible.

The PS3 front-end was admirable that they got anything working on a machine with 256MB of RAM.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    I havent had an update that took longer than an hour in ages, downloading in standby is the way to go :P

There was one install recently that someone on here was complaining was going to take over an hour before they could play anything but it took me around 2-3 minutes (the PS hadn't been in rest mode and I was kind of morbidly curious to see how long it would take).

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The PS3 front-end was admirable that they got anything working on a machine with 256MB of RAM.

The folder system was an awful lot nicer on the PS3 - it is shîtty looking on the PS4.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Both PC and consoles are all perfectly capable to installing updates overnight, or while you play (i think that's possible on consoles anyway). I don't think that's a feature that anyone should use as a pro/negative argument in the platform debate. As for the upgrade thing, i hadn't upgraded my pc in about 4 years until earlier this year. It definitely costs more in the long run, but for me it's worth it.

We should all be glad that Microsoft's new console has such high specs. Previous generations have held back graphics for years, so i'm delighted to see consoles that are able to compete with (and possibly surpass?) the majority of pc's.

As for the conferences so far, there's been very little of interest for me. Still have to finish the first two Metro games, but i am happy to see more of that series. I think it's a bit rich of Bethesda to expect people to pay full price for the VR versions of Doom and Fallout 4 again. And i'm looking forward to seeing what's on in the PC and Ubi conference.

Also, Cuphead looks absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭Corvo

The scripted dialogue was awful.
    The game looks very pretty. I'll be keeping it on my radar as it looks interesting enough to me. Whenever a beta appears I'll give it a go. I wonder how long the Timed Exclusivity is.

I think it looks wonderful and would be a must buy, but I've been burned by E3 before so I'll keep my powder dry (been dying to say that).

If anyone wants a laugh, go back and look at the Rainbow Six unveiling and the voice chatter in that. Brilliantly cheesy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The PC gaming show is usually crap, unfortunately. Half of it this year will be Intel flogging Skylake-X. At least we'll get to see some of XCOM 2's expansion.

The PC gaming show is usually crap, unfortunately. Half of it this year will be Intel flogging Skylake-X. At least we'll get to see some of XCOM 2's expansion.

The show is sponsored by AMD :confused:

I actually like the PC Show. The host is a little more normal than the other presenters and it is a little more relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Yeah Intel part starts at 5:15pm here with the main show starting at 6pm.

Early list of what might be at it:
    • A major announcement from Firaxis Games (X-com 2 expansion likely).
    • A new game from Klei Entertainment, creators of Mark of the Ninja, Don’t Starve, and Oxygen Not Included.
    • New BattleTech footage, with brand new info from creator Jordan Weisman.
    • A live demo of Wargroove, the Advanced Wars-style game from Chucklefish.
    • PlayerUnknown, revealing what's next for Battlegrounds.
    • New announcement from Tripwire Interactive.
    • Warhammer: Total War 2....possible Skaven announcement

Also word it will focus heavily on e-sport and VR stuff, and Microsoft might be there too for the whole Xbox/Windows 10 Play Anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Falthyron wrote: »
    The show is sponsored by AMD :confused:

I actually like the PC Show. The host is a little more normal than the other presenters and it is a little more relaxed.

Intel this year.

I do agree with you on the host.

Intel this year.

I do agree with you on the host.

Ahhh, I thought it was AMD as they have been the sponsors for the last two years. I guess I am now looking forward to the "E3 2017 PC Skylake Gaming Show sponsored by Intel and powered by the Intel i9 processor available soon from your local BestBuy." :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm just sick of turning on my PS4 for it to tell me I didn't turn it off correctly the lasty time I did so. Every time.

I'm just sick of turning on my PS4 for it to tell me I didn't turn it off correctly the lasty time I did so. Every time.

Are you plugging it out in rest mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Really looking forward to the Sony con, possible showing of Red Dead (unlikely, but would be class), Last of Us 2, Yakuza Kiwami/6, Spiderman and my biggest hope......Demons Souls Remaster! That lineup alone is tempting me to stay up for it. Interested to see more on Days Gone as well, maybe that will be the zombie survive em up I'm looking for.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Disappointing E3 so far anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Excluding sports and cars I thought everything bar bethesda was fine so far.

Might have to watch EA again, but only issue with MS was a lot of the games didn't deserve main stage and the announcor before each video.

Advertisement